Re: [MarylandTrailRiders] Trail Report: Cedarville -horse hair on ground

  • Dee Fleetwood
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hello T'Mi
      Thanks for the trail report...

      I can't tell you how many bird nests on my property are lined with horse hair. I'd rather see them lined with that as opposed to some other things I've seen, like string bubble gum wrappers and the like.

      Hope to see everyone at the smtr scavenger hunt at St Mary's River Sunday April 6th and the saddle up for St Jude ride in May! Visit www.smtr.us for details.

      --
      Dee Fleetwood
      Quiet Valley Farm

      On Tue Apr 1 01:11:00 2008, <TFinkle@...> wrote:
      > Yesterday morning I rode Cedarville State Forest with a few friends for
      > almost 3 hours. I had not ridden the the Forest since last October and
      > was glad to see the trails faired well over the winter. We started our
      > ride at 9:00am, so we would not interfere with the Maryland Arab Horse
      > Assn. (MAHA) easter egg ride that started at 1:00pm. Most all of the
      > trails in the non-hunting side of the Forest were in very good shape
      > with solid footing. The bridges throughout the park were in good
      > condition (bridges 2 feet wide or less are for bicycles/hikers and not
      > equines). A couple of areas on the hunting side of the park (past the
      > lake area) had a couple of downed trees and some low branches but they
      > were relativity easy to ride around. The trail that MAHA had marked
      > with ribbons was in very good condition.
      >
      > Cedarville State Forest is in southern Prince George's County Maryland,
      > east of Rt. 301 just before entering Charles County. Take Cedarville
      > Road east approximately 3 miles and turn right into at the Park Service
      > Sign on Bee Hive Road. After paying the entry fee continue ahead to the
      > stop sign. Make a left turn on Forest Road (which is gravel) to a nice
      > level 3 acre grass field on the left, which is for horse trailer
      > parking. I purchased a 2008 State Park Passport, so I am not sure what
      > the daily entry fee is for the forest. Horse camping is expected to
      > added as an attraction to Cedarville SF this year, so it may be a good
      > idea to take a trip there and learn some of the 16 miles of trails..
      >
      > Ride safe,
      >
      > T'mi
      >
      > TROTSAR Mounted Team
      > Chesapeake Plantation Walking Horse Club
      > Trail Riders of Today
      > Southern Maryland Trail Riders
      >
      > PS: I know that our horses are shedding out this time, but there is a
      > time and place for shedding out your horse, and a time place for leaving
      > shedded hair on the ground.. In the center of the nice green field for
      > parking was a very noticeable big circle of gray (almost white) horse
      > hair that someone left behind from a day or two earlier. The hair could
      > be seen from the road and almost looked like a patch of snow. I try
      > and leave an area as I found it and take my mess with me (or carry into
      > the wood line), but that is just me. Not a sermon; just a true story.
    • Brianna Bowling
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
        Thanks for the excellent reports -- you've encouraged me to ride in some new places!

        For your information... I rode with a friend at Maxwell Hall Park on Friday. Wonderful ride. If you
        haven't' been there before it’s a mixture of fields and woods. There are cross country jumps of
        different heights, a place to ride in the river, hills, an obstacle course, lots of wide paths to ride
        side by side and gallop. It is a county run park but there is a fee to join of $25/year. You can
        contact the Park and Rec at (301) 932-3470 to join or get more info about the park at
        http://www.charlescounty.org/pf/pg/parks/equestrian.htm.

        They recently opened the brown trail and wow what a different trail than the rest of the park. LOTS of
        hills and some of them steep (but safe). Its also much longer than the other trails and I guess my
        friend and I were running our mouths because we got lost! Somehow we must have turned and got on the
        pedestrian path and then we kept crossing the path and couldn't figure how to get out. We eventually
        trail blazed out (not recommended!) to Teagues Point Road and rode down to the entrance to the park. We
        planned a 1.5 hour ride but ended up riding over 3.

        Lots of fun but pay attention on the brown trail to the markers when you get to turns :>)

        Brianna

        ==========================
        Brianna Bowling
        President
        Zekiah Technologies, Inc.
        301-392-3788x11
        brianna@...
        http://www.zekiah.com
[...]

        Checked by AVG.
      • Harold Goldstein
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
          As many of you know, I'd like to beef up the website section on trails ... with this recent flurry of trail reports maybe this is the time to start asking your help on this.

          When you have a new area to report on, can you send me (in addition to posting here, there and everywhere) ...
          -- location (address) and directions to the start point
          -- a paragraph or two about the place - parking facilities, nature and extent of trails, fees, whatever is deemed of interest
          -- if you are willing to be a contact for this trail your name, email, phone or whatever you are comfortable with
          -- a scan of a map or a link to a usable trail map.

                                                                        harold ...
           Harold Goldstein - mdbiker@... ~~,__o   ~^^
           Goldray Consulting:  http://goldray.com/ ~_-\  < ,   ~  o \
           Web Development/Internet Training         (*)/ (*)  ~  / {   \
           Save The Apes:
          http://bushmeat.net /                      /   { o}
          amber for everyone - http://amberlady.com - fossil bugs too
          travelling? need passport/visa? http://visaexchange.com !!

        • Ron MacNab
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
            For those of you with GPS units. If you record your ride and send me
            the files, I will attempt to map the trail and send it to Harold for
            posting to the TROT web site.

            RonM

            Harold Goldstein wrote:

            > As many of you know, I'd like to beef up the website section on trails
            > ... with this recent flurry of trail reports maybe this is the time to
            > start asking your help on this.
            >
            > When you have a new area to report on, can you send me (in addition to
            > posting here, there and everywhere) ...
            > -- location (address) and directions to the start point
            > -- a paragraph or two about the place - parking facilities, nature and
            > extent of trails, fees, whatever is deemed of interest
            > -- if you are willing to be a contact for this trail your name, email,
            > phone or whatever you are comfortable with
            > -- a scan of a map or a link to a usable trail map.
            >

            > harold ...
            > Harold Goldstein - mdbiker@... ~~,__o ~^^
            > Goldray Consulting: http://goldray.com/ <http://goldray.com/> ~_-\
            > < , ~ o \
            > Web Development/Internet Training (*)/ (*) ~ / { \
            > Save The Apes: _http://bushmeat.net_
            > <http://bushmeat.net/%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0> /
            > <http://bushmeat.net/%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0%A0> / { o}
            > amber for everyone - http://amberlady.com <http://amberlady.com/> -
            > fossil bugs too
            > travelling? need passport/visa? http://visaexchange.com
            > <http://visaexchange.com/> !!

          • Peg Trailrider
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
              What a cool idea!

              If you put the GPS file on-line too, GPS savvy riders could also "download" a track from the TROT website, or the file section of Maryland Trail Riders, load it on their own GPS, and follow the recorded track to recreate a trail ride. It won't be as much fun as trail riding with a buddy, but when no one is available to ride with you, it will keep you on the right track. This could be loads of fun.

              Peggy