Kids for Peace Camp at Towson University

  • Hilton, Mary
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2002
      I thank the Maryland group for adding us onto this listserve.

      For those of you who aren't yet aware, Towson University has begun a summer camp, Kids for Peace, which is a 9-week day camp in international understanding and service. The National Peace Corps Association has been instrumental in giving us advice and contacts to get this camp underway.

      The camp is for children ages 8-14,but will expand next year to include children ages 6-14. We hope that you will take a look at our website www.towson.edu/kidsforpeace and see what you think. In fact, our social studies instructor is a returnee!

      Each week, we will feature a RPCV to speak on the area of the world being studies. So far, we have been able to fill the Asia and Africa sections but need speakers to represent Central America, South America, Europe, Indonesia if possible, and South East Asia. The dates and times are under the weekly schedules on the website.

      It is important to us that the children gain an understanding for global service in addition to culture studies. We have received tremendous encouragement from the community. I hope that you will consider joining us to make this a meaningful experience for area children.

      Also needed:
      We have orientation this weekend on June 8 and next, June 15. We hope to have several RPCV to give a panel presentation at
      1 p.m. at the University Union on campus. I can send directions to any of you who are willing to speak about the experience. Annie Schleicher from the Peace Corps Associaton will be there as well to go over the details of the Global Challenge that our children will be participating in during the upcoming reunion in DC.

      I look forward to meeting more of you in the future.
      Mary Hilton