Emailing: salgado02012002

  • JoAnna Allen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2002
      Hope you don't mind! I ran into this article in Harvard Graduate School of
      Education magazine (Ed) and thought it was worth sharing, and possibly
      discussing based on our own experiences particularly for those who served in
      South America. It's a strong statement and I'm guessing hits the truth
      more than many Americans would wish.

    • JoAnna Allen
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2002
        Sorry! the article I tried to mail to the list didn't go with my message.
        It was an interview of a doctoral student at Harvard who was from Honduras,
        a strong statement about the First World's impact on the Third World. There
        is an ideology and not just tools that get passed on to third world students
        studying here that some try hard to resist. If I can get the web address
        back I'll send it on.

        JoAnna Allen (Malaysia XII)
        1568 Glen Keith Blvd.
        Towson, MD 21286-8020
        410-823-7246
        "Be well, do good work, and keep in touch." (Garrison Keillor)

      • Katherine Ibrahim
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2002
          JoAnna, it sounds very interesting.  If you can't manage to get the web address,
          and you have a hard copy, could you fax it?  My fax number is:  410-877-3354.
          On another topic, you mentioned possibly going to Washington to the National
          Peace Corps Association office.  Depending on when you plan to go, I might be
          able to join you.  I have been wondering if they have a system where they can
          access all Maryland returned volunteers with their addresses, phone numbers and
          email addresses.  The new Directory they published in September has this
          information separated between country of service section and alphabetical
          listing of all returned PCVs with their addresses.  It would be very labor
          intensive to make a Maryland composite list for us using that information.  I
          counted the number of Maryland returned volunteers, and there are approximately
          2300!!!!  Over half of these live in the Baltimore area.
          Kay Muldoon-Ibrahim

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2002
            JoAnna, correction to my email to you.  I meant all the Maryland returned
            volunteers (approximately 2300) are listed under the regional section of the new
            Directory of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers, but their addresses, phone numbers
            and email addresses are listed in the huge alphabetical listing of all returned
            volunteers.  Perhaps the National Peace Corps association has a way of pulling
            the two separate lists together.  It would save us days of "grunt" work.
            Kay
          • JoAnna Allen
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2002
              Hi Kay,
              Thanks again for your huge interest and support. That's what keeps leaders
              in an org. going.
              I'm quite sure we can access the NPCA names and addresses but we have to be
              an up and running group first, I believe. I haven't heard from Brian with
              some suggestions I've sent but hope to soon.
              I deleted the monthly email magazine forwarded to me, which I shouldn't
              have, and it didn't show up in my delete folder when I tried to retrieve it,
              so I'll search through Harvard and then print. I'm finding some list serves
              don't forward attachments due to virus protection and so one has to cut and
              paste. I'm learning.
              That would be great if you could go with a group of MRVs. I've emailed the
              two who responded to our MD list, Chris and Nathan for their addresses and I
              hope to pull them in. A group of us went about fifteen years ago to PC
              headquarters and it was a good connection. I'll never forget because my van
              got a parking ticket and Bill Hankins the treasurer was rightfully peeved
              about paying it for us, but hopefully it won't happen again. We weren't
              used to the parking signs there.
              I'm bugging Brian about having a meeting of leaders in the group in the
              next two or three weeks at my house. I've have issues as treasurer to bring
              up. I'll let you know because you should be included.

              JoAnna

            • JoAnna Allen
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2002
                My apologies to the MRV list for mixing up my replies as versus going to the
                person or the list. I'll get it soon, I hope.
                If you're emailing personally to me, please replace the MRV address with my
                own. There's an underscore between the jowallen and mat70.
                jowallen_mat70@... but it doesn't show up well.

                JoAnna Allen

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2002
                  Kay, we've set a meeting for officers and you're invited. Sunday, March 3,
                  3 p.m. meeting, 5 p.m. spaghetti supper. Brian will bring salad. At my
                  house off route 29. If you can make it I'll send directions. Just off Loch
                  Raven Blvd. about one mile south of the beltway. Christa will attend by
                  speaker phone.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 25, 2002
                    Sorry group, again, for not changing the "To". Look, old age slows us PCVs
                    from the sixties way down. Just you wait you younguns!!! But now that you
                    know there's an officers' meeting coming up, feed Brian Dulay your ideas and
                    energy. We're getting officially active, again!!!

                    JoAnna Allen (from the Shriver days)