Treeless Saddles?

  • hailabuskirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
      Thanks to everyone for the responses to my questions about feeding Calf
      Manna. Now I have another question. What does this group think of
      treeless saddles for gaited horses? What about gaited horses with high
      withers and a heavy (220 pound) rider? I want to be sure to get a
      saddle that fits her, I just can't decide what. I rode English saddles
      all of my "first riding life" when I was 8 to 28 yrs old. Now I have
      been blessed with the opportunity to get back to being with horses in
      my fifties! All of my new friends ride western saddles and we live in
      WV where we have lots of really challenging trails, so I will probably
      stay with a western saddle. My friends gave me a traditional leather
      western saddle a couple of years ago, but it is very heavy, and I am
      not sure it fits my horse right. I like the concept of treeless, I
      think, but I'd like some opinions of you folks with much more
      experience than I have. Thanks so much!

      Haila in WV
    • Cynthia Eliason
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Friday 01 June 2007 7:00 am, hailabuskirk wrote:
        >  What does this group think of
        > treeless saddles for gaited horses?  What about gaited horses with high
        > withers and a heavy (220 pound) rider?

        I know there are a lot of people who are very happy with their treeless
        saddles. One thing to keep in mind is the purpose of a tree: it's to
        distribute the rider's weight evenly on the horse's back. If you sit on a
        horse bareback, your weight is concentrated in two small spots, one under
        each seatbone. A tree lets the weight be spread across a greater area.
        I've heard that the heavier the rider, the more important a tree is.

        That said, I have ZERO experience with treeless saddles. Whatever fits
        best and keeps the horse comfortable and happy is what you should use!

        --
        Cindy Eliason
        Whitefield, NH
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
          To add to this...I've heard that the treeless saddle tends to slip sideways more easily.  That said,  I too have NO experience with a treeless saddle.

          Take Care,
          Vivian
          On Friday 01 June 2007 7:00 am, hailabuskirk wrote:
          >  What does this group think of
          > treeless saddles for gaited horses?  What about gaited horses with high
          > withers and a heavy (220 pound) rider?

          I know there are a lot of people who are very happy with their treeless
          saddles. One thing to keep in mind is the purpose of a tree: it's to
          distribute the rider's weight evenly on the horse's back. If you sit on a
          horse bareback, your weight is concentrated in two small spots, one under
          each seatbone. A tree lets the weight be spread across a greater area.
          I've heard that the heavier the rider, the more important a tree is.

          That said, I have ZERO experience with treeless saddles. Whatever fits
          best and keeps the horse comfortable and happy is what you should use!

          --
          Cindy Eliason
          Whitefield, NH

          Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        • Margo Nielsen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
            Haila,

            You can get a lot of information from people experienced in treeless
            at:

            There are Western styled saddles as well as many others. Treeless
            saddles have been very successful on varied terrain and they are
            making improvements all the time. gaited horses move much more
            freely in them.

            Margo

            --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, "hailabuskirk"

          • cherni711@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
              I have a Hilason treeless and its really nothing more than a glorified bareback pad. If you have a very "broke" horse that is predictable then it should be fine, but if you have a horse that is any kind of a horse where you need more stability, then no, it wont work IMO. My Paso its fine for, my QH, no way. Check out Crest Ridge Saddlery, the saddle maker is AWESOME, you will have to go thru' some measurements and pictures of your horse but she will find/make you a saddle that will fit. I just ordered one, she just happened to have one is stock that will/ may fit my horse, he is mutton withered, downhill awful hard to fit, it'll be here next week, I'll let you all know how it is when it comes. Fairly reasonable price too. Just my .02 worth.......... Jill
            • Vickie Haun
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007

                We ride with treeless saddles on our Rocky Mountain and TWH.  We absolutely love these saddles and would never consider riding in a treed saddle again.  We did quite a bit of research into the various brands of them.  The Hilason…….I definitely agree are not a good choice.  Poorly made, poor customer service.  Just not a good saddle.   The Bob Marshall’s are a very nice saddle but seem to put you in more of a chair position.  That x’d them off our list of possibilities because of that.   We have Barefoot treeless saddles and I can’t say enough good things about them.  They fit both of our horses very, very well, they are extremely comfy and I do mean comfy beyond what you can even imagine!  Barefoot’s customer service is outstanding.  You do need to use the correct pad with a treeless saddle.  The two pads that work well are the Skito or the Granduer.  They have pads designed for the treeless saddles.  In a good treeless saddle you are NOT sitting on the horses spine.  These saddles are designed with a clear spinal channel.  I’ve done a rope test on each of mine and I can assure you no pressure is on the spine.  I have a friend that rides competitive endurance.   She has done many, many 50’s in her Barefoot treeless and never had a problem of any kind.  So……..what do we think of treeless on our gaited horses?  Absolutely awesome and I’ll bet if you try one……..you’ll never go back to a treed saddle again!    There is a yahoo group about treeless……..you can get lots of info on that group.  We just recently switched to treeless so we do not have the years of experience that some of the others have.  I can only tell you what our research and our experience this far is with them.  My friend that rides endurance was a huge help in deciding to take the plunge.

                Also………the better brands of treeless saddles do have demo programs so you can try out a treeless before buying it if you prefer.

                Vickie

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.