Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Re: Bonded, and then Not Bonded!

  • luv2ridehorses
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 1, 2007
      My horse has never done anything at all aggressive towards me - running towards me yesterday may not have been aggression, she was just REALLY feeling her oats and trotting towards me.  However, I warned her off and she stopped immediately.
      As for kicking, biting, rearing, bucking at me - never.  She "gives" to me very easily when I want to move her around.  The day before yesterday she was just as you described towards me - licking her lips, lowering her head, etc.  Then the next day just a total jerk.
      And I've been bonding with her throughout the past week that I've had her.  Evidently it hasn't taken 100% yet, but we have plenty of time to work together!
      Thanks for your reply!
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 3, 2007
        You say that you must try to compelte the bonder all in one session.
        Can you tell me what happens if you don't. Is it harder to do the next
        time because they know what to expect?

        Actually, you can quit the bonder ANY TIME you want.  If you
        become distracted, uncertain or whatever you can just stop.
        There are no hills to die on in horse training no matter what
        anyone tells you.  WHATEVER you can train a horse to do you
        can untrain it.

        Getting the horse to know what to expect is the purpose of
        the bonder.  It learns it can expect you to be the leader and
        that it must do what you wish provided it is able to.

        My son's horse, Lady is the perfect trail horse. She knows what a trail
        is and is quite happy to go along any where you want her to. If you
        want her to go through the water, she will, if you want her to veer off
        the trail around some trees, into the bush, whatever you ask on the
        trail she is happy to comply. She has never spooked at one single
        thing, not even the partridge flying up in her face. She is somewhat
        lazy, however and although she will trot and canter, its usually more
        work for the rider to keep her in that gait than it is for her to be in
        that gait.

        If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

        I do have a few problems with her as far as asking for things on the
        ground. For instances, she loves people, any people, and has a hard
        time understanding "my space". When I try to lead her past me (like
        through a gate or something), she is crowding me, when I ask her to move
        off she pins her ears and has even cow kicked, never making a connection
        but the threat is real. She was a mountain trail horse before we
        purchased her and because of her personality (put me on a trail with a
        rider on my back and I'm happy) I don't think a lot of time was spent
        doing ground work with her. I know she is confused because she was
        always able to come right up to any person for a scratch and doesn't
        understand the concept of her space, my space at all. The confusion is
        causing her to get "angry". I feel it necessary to teach her about my
        space since she weighs 1300 lbs and although I am quite confident that
        she would never hurt us on purpose, accidents do happen.

        This is what the bonder fixes in both of you.  It teaches you you
        need not put up with that and it teaches her you won't.

        I thought I would start the whole process by doing the bonder session
        with her. She did not like me directing her one little bit and every
        time I asked for a change of direction, she would pin her ears and even
        kicked and bucked a few times. I did finally get some chewing but never
        got the head down or the licking.

        She wasn't happy you were going to have your way??  Oh, too bad,
        so sad.  She'll get over it just like she does in a herd situation where
        a higher ranked horse makes her show respect.

        I realize that I have to do the session again, maybe a few more times
        but was just wondering if we will still be at the kicking, bucking, ears
        pinned, head shaking stage or if she will be a little less "active" the
        next time.

        This too shall pass.  This is actually good because when it stops
        you'll have a clear turn-around point.

        The reason I stopped the first session was because it had started to
        snow and was getting way too slippery for both of us.

        You don't need any reason to stop beyond you wanted to.

        I cover all these points and a LOT more in my DVD "How To Form
        An Intense Mental Connection With Practically Any Horse In
        Less Time Than It Takes To Clean A Bridle."  Information about
        this and other DVDs I have at the moment can be found at:

        Marv "One left makes a left, two lefts make a back, three lefts
        make a right!" Walker