RE: [MarvWalkerHorses] bonder on a BLM mustang.

  • Rossin, Keria
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2013
      After he takes a few steps toward you, turn around and walk away ... see if he follows.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2013
        Or turn your back on him and stand there ignoring him.
        Margo

        On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Rossin, Keria <krossin@...> wrote:

        After he takes a few steps toward you, turn around and walk away ... see if he follows.

        I haven't posted on this list for years but I recently got a new BLM Mustang and the bonder doesn't seem to be working on him or probably more correctly I am doing something wrong.

        He will lower his head, lick and chew, face me and take a couple steps towards me but then he either leaves on his own, OR if I attempt to approach him, he will leave after I take a few steps towards him. This is getting extremely frustrating.

        I don't know what to do short of having Marv come out here and a trip to Casper, WY is not cheap. It has been over 2 weeks.

        Any suggestions?

        Jennie in Wyoming

        View Margo's Architectural work at: www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
        View Margo's Animal Drawings at: http://anim8pics.jigsy.com/
      • Jennie
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2013
          I have turned around and walked away and also have tried turning around and just ignoring him. I get the same result; he just stands there facing me. Once I stood so long I thought maybe he had forgot about me but I turned around and he was still facing me and still had both ears on me. On the bright side, when I go out and do absolutely nothing with him, i.e. I go read a book in his pen, he comes up to me and noses me all over. He has not tried to bite me or kick at me yet but I don't want him to think he is the leader, on the other hand, all it takes is me to reach out my hand and he runs away.

          I know this is not a Mustang training list but I have learned lots from this list in the past about myself and horses so that is why I am turning to you guys for help.

          Thank you,

          Jennie in Wyoming

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2013
            At 10:12 AM 5/28/2013, you wrote:

            Hi,

            I haven't posted on this list for years but I recently got a new BLM Mustang and the bonder doesn't seem to be working on him or probably more correctly I am doing something wrong.

            He will lower his head, lick and chew, face me and take a couple steps towards me but then he either leaves on his own, OR if I attempt to approach him, he will leave after I take a few steps towards him. This is getting extremely frustrating.

            I don't know what to do short of having Marv come out here and a trip to Casper, WY is not cheap. It has been over 2 weeks.

            Any suggestions?

            Jennie in Wyoming

            It's been some years since I saw you at Pineland, WY.  Good to see you
            are still around.

            The answer to this is, don't let him leave.  If he goes left send him back right
            and when he passes where you want him, send him back.  Keep him from leaving
            in either direction.  You want it so the only direction left for him to go is
            toward you.  Since you want him to go toward you, don't close that direction
            off by going toward him.  Let him move toward you.

            Remember also your goal is to simply improve your relationship, that's it.
            Don't forget he already has gone through the compliance signals.  Once he gets
            the idea it's okay to approach you, he will.  It may be your frustration is telling
            him he better stay away.

            Marv "You must conquer time." Walker
            Horse Info, Training DVDs, eBooks - http://MarvWalker.com
            Horses Who Heal ~ http://BraveMeadows.comMarv