USDA ID Rules

  • Margo Nielsen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2013
      Well, they did it! They passed a basic ID rule for interstate travel for horses:

      View Margo's Architectural work at: www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
      View Margo's Animal Drawings at: http://anim8pics.jigsy.com/
    • Nancy or MaryAnne
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2013
        Well with all the outbreaks of equine herpes, it doesn't surprise me people are so stupid it is overwhelming..next thing you know they will putting down horses that carry EHV.....
        Well, they did it! They passed a basic ID rule for interstate travel for horses:

        View Margo's Architectural work at: www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
        View Margo's Animal Drawings at: http://anim8pics.jigsy.com/
      • mysticpasos
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2013
          Dang, that is going to make it more expensive to take the horses for a beach ride at the coast.

          Jackie Decker
          Mystic Ranch
          4264 Beagle Road
          White City, Oregon 97503
          541-826-8400
          www.mystic-ranch.com

          Subj: Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] USDA ID Rules

          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2013
            Jackie,

            This is only for transport between states. (See below for exclusions)

            "Under the new federal regulations, horses moving interstate must be identified and accompanied by an Interstate Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (ICVI).  The new system is built on methods of identification and movement documentation that are already employed in the horse industry, e.g., written descriptions, digital photographs, brands, tattoos, electronic identification methods, and interstate certificates of veterinary inspection.  The person or entity responsible for moving the horse interstate must ensure that it has an ICVI or other document required by the new rule."

            Exclusions

            There are exclusions to the new requirements for the following horses:

            • Horses used as a mode of transportation (horseback, horse and buggy) for travel to another location that return directly to the original location.

            • Horses moved from a farm or stable for veterinary treatment that are returned to the same location without change in ownership.

            • Horses moved directly from a location in one state through another state to a second location in the original state.

            • Horses moved between shipping and receiving states with another form of identification or documentation other than an ICVI, e.g., a horse infectious anemia test chart, as agreed to by the shipping and receiving states or tribes involved in the movement.
            Margo

            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2013
              Yes, unfortunately, we cross 10 miles into California when we go to the coast.  What a pain.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2013
                Yes, unfortunately, we cross 10 miles into California when we go to the coast.  What a pain.

                There isn't any pain when you get cooked a little at a time.  Then you're dead.

                And the UnAffordable Health Care Act isn't even wound up good yet.  They're
                still trying to hire "Navigators" to help people figure it out.

                Marv "We have to pass these laws to see what's in them." Walker
                Horse Info, Training DVDs, eBooks - http://MarvWalker.com
                Horses Who Heal ~ http://BraveMeadows.com