RE: [MarvWalkerHorses] It's time...

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 18 8:29 AM

      Propaganda that makes you feel like you are doing something sells.

      Charles

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 18 8:31 AM

        The people already there think they are there for the people and not for the money.  They believe they are listening.  New people will most likely be the same.  The trick is to get the public to agree with us.

        Charles

        I think the problem is that they are listening, just not to the right people.

        People want safe food.  The idea is that tracking every animal will make food safer.  It will be pushed by the animal tracking technology people (chip makers and such).  Will it work?  Doubt it, but it sure feels like we are doing something.  And, the politician can say “I’m working to make food safer”, and who is going to be against that?

        Charles

        PS: No guarantee the new people you vote in will be any better.

        Absolutely true.

        However, the new people will hopefully understand they are there
        for the voters and not the money otherwise they could become old
        people quick.

        Marv "We have a Marie Antoinnette class." Walker

      • cob4cob@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 18 10:46 AM

          In a message dated 18/04/2013 15:42:43 GMT Daylight Time, margon@... writes:
          I think the vastness (26 countries) horse meat scandal in the European Union is a perfect example of how the "passport" and tracking methods do not work in ensuring food safety.

          It seems that wherever there is an opportunity to substitute or adulterate a food product with a cheaper alternative there will those who figure a way around the system for profit. Racehorses, which are microchipped in the UK, simply had their microchips removed and falsified papers created when presented to slaughter plants.

          Bute has been found in many samples since the scandal began, and as you know, Bute is a carcinogen, once used for people and dogs, but banned since the 50's.

          Margo

          It's actually a lot more complex than that... Horse slaughter is legal in the UK, and the fact that a horse is 'chipped' is really of very little significance. We do have in place, the 'Minimum Value' legislation which should in theory prevent the live export of horses and ponies that are of very little value. However, having said that, large numbers of equines are exported to Ireland then onto the continent, thereby avoiding the Minimum Value scheme.

          The EU's current horsemeat scandal can be largely laid at the door of the newest members of the Union, i.e. those states that were once part of the Eastern Bloc, and our sworn enemies while under Soviet control. Due to their low wages and cheap prices compared to the rest of the EU, they have been able to undercut meat prices from other, more well established EU members. Given the current corporate greed society that we all live in, and the fact that the vast sums of money involved also attracted the criminal element, it was only a matter of time before 'watered down' meats came onto the mainstream market... with the result that a cocktail of beef/horsemeat flooded our shores.

          The thing is that, financially, the western world is in a bit of a mess at the moment, and the average man in the street is having to cut costs where he can. He buys cheap beefburgers (you probably refer to them as hamburgers) to feed his family, unaware that they contain a percentage of horsemeat. But in the end, we are all to blame in the EU. We continually want supermarkets to sell us produce at cheaper and cheaper prices, usually not caring where that produce comes from. The fact that his beefburgers have travelled across many countries, either as a carcass or as a finished product means little to him. The supermarkets too must shoulder a large part of the blame, in that they turned to cheaper sources to maximise profit on their cheaper ranges. But, if they don't, the other supermarkets will, and their share of the market is lost.... At the end of the day it's business profits that drive the stockmarket. No company can be seen to be making less profit, or the value of their shares (and the business) takes a tumble. So, if one takes the risk, they all have to.

          A byproduct of all this is that we now (by EU law) have to accept as many European immigrants as may wish to arrive, and there is great concern that numerous Romanian and Bulgarian workers will be arriving soon, even though we have just announced very large unemployment figures... But once again, business sees only the balance sheet, knowing full well that ex Eastern Bloc workers will work for less pay, and for longer hours than the equivalent Brit. That's not taking into account the vast sums of money we pay to the EU annually to support other member states who's lifestyles are very different to our own. Frankly, we'd be better off out of the EU, trading more with our old partners Canada, New Zealand, Australia etc, whom we offended by cutting short our business with them when we were forced by our leaders into this European superstate.

          Colin

          UK.

        • Charles
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 18 11:05 AM

            Remember that the last time around they  gave a break to huge herds in that they didn’t all have to be tagged, or chipped.  Small farms and herds had to tag or chip each animal.

            Basically, the bigger you are, the easier they make it for you, and the small operation gets stuck with the onus of extra work.

            Charles

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 18 11:26 AM
              In the Homeland Security community, this is called “security theater.”  It’s like the military folks stationed in airports right after 9/11 with unloaded guns.  It wastes money and intimidates citizens, but not terrorists.  It is functionally worthless *except* to sell crap.  I don’t usually use that word, but it applies in this case.

              Another example:  Communications failed significantly in NYC after the 9/11 attacks.  We can directly lay blame for this on the one person who decided where vital resources should be located.  That person was a mighty failure that day but has since made a fortune as an “expert” on running a city during and after an attack.  Other people who have made buckets of money:  cable/satellite tv, antenna and television sales, and related items.  Here’s how:  “We need more channels for security communication.  Where will we get them?”  “We will get them from converting analog tv consumers to digital tv consumers.  And we’ll tell them it’s ‘free.’”  So there’s a stupid conversion from analog to digital that requires massive sales of converter boxes, new antennae (for people not using cable and sat services), new digital televisions, etc.  Wow, it’s “free” to nobody.  Also, the converter requires more electricity to run.  Is that “free”?  And people in areas not served by cell phones (like me) cannot get as many digital channels as we could analog.  And if the digital channel isn’t crystal-clear, it’s dropped, like every rain or snow storm.  Or just when the ground is wet.  So, do the emergency responders have better com now?  Barely, if that.  No, the feds have been auctioning off the channels to cell phone providers for consumers to buy more crappy phones.

              This happens because our Congress people have to pretend to make jobs, coddle donors, report their progress to voters, and so on.  We will always be building bridges to nowhere.

              JanisCJ