Drunken Cowboy

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11 5:30 PM
      I received this email from Kathrine Monroe who is a traveling nurse and sends me stuff every once in awhile
      and she always identifies herself as "It is me..."

      "Marv,

      It is me- the nurse who first ordered your BONDER DVD when I was in ND.

      I spoke with you a couple of weeks ago by phone. You shared your "drunken cowboy" routine. It makes me
      laugh every time I think about it!

      Well, I think I told you I am in Alaska & found a place to ride horses. Though there is several feet of snow
      on the ground, I took a trail ride this past week. You will like this story! It was snowing & about 17 degrees
      that day.

      First time meeting this guy- As he is bridling the horse, the wrangler asks me if I know how to ride. I say
      yes. He says Western or English? I say both.

      Then it is time to get on the horse- it is a Fox-trotter about 18 hands high! ha ha and no mounting block.

      I try to get my left foot into the stirrup which has put my knee hitting my forehead. My other leg on the
      ground- tippy toes- as I attempt to stretch up & reach the withers to grab a clump of mane- (not even close!)
      I say, "I believe I need a boost."

      Without warning the wrangler grabs my leg off the ground & since I couldn't reach the mane-- 1 foot in
      the stirrup-- I GO TUMBLING DOWN underneath the horse-- in the snow! ha I jumped right up and said
      YOU DIDN'T COUNT! ha ha anyway so now I get on the horse, we start the ride-

      BUT THIS IS THE FUNNIEST PART- the horse didn't know WHAT to expect after that!

      The whole ride- he was attentive, responsive, watching me, willing to do ANYTHING I told him to! You know
      how a horse looks to the side- back at you- well, he kept his eye on me the whole 2 hours! ha ha

      yeah, Marv- that drunken cowboy routine is AWESOME!  If you hadn't told me, I would have died of
      embarrassment! but instead- it was all part of my routine!

      Thanks again.

      Katherine"

      Patterns become contracts. Break the contract and the horse's attention will re-focus and act accordingly.

      Marv "Gotta watch them drunks, you never know what they'll do next." Walker
      Horse Info, Training DVDs, eBooks - http://MarvWalker.com
      Horses Who Heal ~ http://BraveMeadows.com
    • Linda

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14 2:14 PM
          That's too fun.  I'll have to find it in one of your videos before I try it, but try it i will!

          thanks Marv

          Linda
          On 3/14/2013 6:28 PM, Marv Walker wrote:

          At 04:56 PM 3/14/2013, you wrote:

          Hi Marv,

          i have never heard your drunmken cowboy story.  Is it on your site somewhere or would you share here with those of us who might be in the dark?  Sounds intriguing.

          thanks you,
          Linda

          Mr. Walker,

          After about 6 months messing around with your teachings this is my conclusion....

          All these top horse gurus that go around the country doing demos and such are no different
          than a magician doing a show. You have made the videos no magician wants anyone to see.

          I lack feel, timing, rhythm, mind reading ability, and all the other mystical horse guru abilities
          needed, but I can bring a horse into compliance and get every horse so far to do whatever I
          want with little problem. Riding ability to know where the feet are from the saddle is the only
          thing slowing my higher level training.

          One thing that I find interesting... I love doing the drunk cowboy tack up. I quit doing it where
          it was possible for anyone else to see. I got tired of random people coming over to show me
          the "correct" way to tack up a horse. It was funny everyone chose to label my behavior as
          "very disrespectful" towards my horse. I always got informed if I had a "higher level" type horse
          like them I would get seriously hurt from my lack of skills. I always gave the sarcastic answer
          along the lines of this was one of those unbroke, free to anyone who can catch her horses so
          she has very low handler expectations.

          Thanks,

          Chris

          It's in one of my DVDs somewhere.

          The "Drunken Cowboy" is tacking your horse every way possible before finally tacking the correct
          way.  I may put the saddle on upside down and cross ways.  I may slide it on the horse from its head
          or from its rear.  I may put it on backwards, I may even have it dangling off the horse's side.  And
          I do the same with the bridle.

          The object is to teach the horse there will be no pattern to the tacking for it to follow and
          anticipate.  That way if I get a charley horse (Oooh!  That's punny!) and have to drop the saddle
          or something happens and the saddle goes where it is not supposed to be, the horse essentially says,
          "Just another one of those things that happens all the time.  I need to watch this guy just to see
          what's going to happen next."

          Once it reaches that point I hardly ever "get drunk" again.

          Make sense?

          Marv "My grandpa drank to steady his nerves.  Sometimes he'd get so steady he couldn't move." Walker