RE: [MarvWalkerHorses] bubble vs If they crowd me, I nudge them over,

  • Jill Yelverton
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013

      What he said.

      From: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Marv Walker
      Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 9:35 PM
      To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] bubble vs If they crowd me, I nudge them over,

      I totally agree. I have never used the ‘personal space’ bubble either.  I like my horses up close and personal.  They are allowed to stand next to me as close as they want.  If they crowd me, I nudge them over, the same as I would do with a person who is too close to me.  My horses don’t trample me, run over me, step on my feet.  IF they decide to walk faster than me back to the barn because it’s feeding time, we stop as many times as it takes for them to get the idea that they walk with me or behind me, not in front of me.  Horses are smart.  They learn how to be respectful without gadgets.  They are also very empathic.  It’s a matter of energy.  Think about where your energy is – are you afraid?  Do you feel threatened?  Or do you feel comfortable?

      You have a "bubble."  It is not a very large one but it is a bubble none the less.
      When your horse crowds you (goes inside your bubble) you nudge it over (out of
      your bubble).

      Bubbles are not specific or constant.  They change depending on the situation.
      They change depending on your degree of comfort.  They change depending on
      the individual involved.

      Marv "Every one has points where they feel their space is being invaded or dis
      respected.  When the points pop up the bubble bursts." Walker
      Horse Info, Training DVDs, eBooks - http://MarvWalker.com
      Check Out Horses Who Heal ~ http://BraveMeadows.com

      No virus found in this message.

    • Janis
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
        I don’t want my horses to feel they control how much of MY space is available to them.  Other horses don’t tolerate crowding; why should I?  Smile  They signal each other in many ways:  a hoof raised as a reminder that its owner “might” kick; ears back; a tail swish; a bite that “misses” the target; shifting to aim the rear at the intruder; and so on.  The horse that ignores such signs surely gets more than a nudge, so they usually just do not ignore signs.  It is my duty, as their leader, to let them know my signs, too.

        Janis

        Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:02 AM

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013

          Yes and, at least to me, that bubble, that comfort zone of personal space, is a little different with each of my horses.

          Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:02 AM