Feeding a stunted yearling?

  • Alexis Geiger
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
      Been a while but I have a quick question..  We had to wean my filly at 4 months due to her momma just not being *mom material* in short.  We ended up borrowing/leasing a 1 1/2 yr old filly for her for company.  This filly was bought last December from Auction, was skin and bones and just pain not taken care of.  The gal that got her didn't really know much about foals so she did the same with her as her older horses, a handful of grain every couple days just to keep them coming to the barn.  :(  She had a guy break this filly out and she was used under saddle this past summer for walk-trot and lead-line.  :(  Her feet are also is AWFUL shape, my farrier will be out next week to hopefully get her straightened up or at least on the right track.  So now my question- She has been here for 2 weeks now and has gained almost 50lbs.  I worry about her gaining/growing too fast and messing her up anymore then she is now.  Since she has been here her eyes are gotten ALLOT brighter and she seems to be *Coming out of her shell*  I currently have her on all she can eat 1st cutting alfalfa/timothy, 2 leaves 2x a day of second from the same field (has more alfalfa then the first tho) and been working her up to 4lbs of Blue Seal Sentinel Safe Start http://www.sentinelfeed.com/pdfs/blueseal_sellsheet_SS.pdf She currently weighs 450lbs.  Should I keep her at the maintenance levels or up her?  Any ideas?

      ~~___(\
      .../< >\

      A Dog looks up to a man,
      A cat looks down on a man,
      But a patient horse looks a man in the eye and sees him as an equal.
    • Janis
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
        This may be useful:
        and

        JanisCJ

        Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:40 PM
        Subject: [MarvWalkerHorses] Feeding a stunted yearling?

[...]

        .../<

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
          Thanks these were a great help.  She wasn't starved per-say just not given what she needed from day one, she was an Amish cull.  I am going to increase her a little so that she is on the high side of the recommended amounts in hopes that she will be able to both get everything she needs to grow but also a little more to help get some weight on.  The tips on the alfalfa were great as that was one thing I worried about, will change her slowly over to straight second.  Makes me kinda heart broke, she is a yr and a half and is only 50 lbs heavier then my 4 month old filly when she SHOULD be much bigger.  Thanks!

          ~~___(\
          .../< >\