saddle advice

  • Sue Tix
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2012
      I once again am on the hunt for a saddle. I have recently been riding my horse with a bareback pad only and what a difference. Listens to my legs soooo much better. So I am thinking, my cues have not been getting through with my current saddle. I have been using a ortho flex roping saddle. (barn owner sold it to me. big roping barn) I am short (5'3") and could  never reach her shoulder before with my leg. I can now bareback riding, easily side pass, half pass, stop with no reins etc, with ease. I need something with a tree in it as my daughter and I compete in ACTHA rides. They require a saddle with a tree. I live in MN. Where do I start. She is a walker, that is no petite little girl. Not fat, just large. She gaits in what ever saddle, bit, etc I put on her. I just need something that fits her and allows me to give her better cues. Thanks,

      Sue and Sierra(the walker)
    • Nancy or MaryAnne
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2012
        Sue, is this an area specific requirement?  I looked into he rule book, and it stated that the horse must wear some type of saddle.  The rulebook did not specifically state a treed saddle.  So. with that said I will recommend a E-Z fit saddle.  It rides like a bareback pad, but it has a pommel and cantle, that work like a saddle.  You can mount from the ground in it.  It works on gaited horses, fat horses, thorobred horses, and ponies.  Nancy
[...]

      • Rossin, Keria
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012

          Look at the Freedom Saddle… made especially for gaited horses.

          keria

[...]

        • Roxanna Vickrey
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
            Hi Nancy,
            I have a very wide backed, table top type mustang.  Would this saddle work on a horse like that do you think?

            Thanks
            Rox in CA

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2012
              I used this saddle on my our I think I am a couch pony.  They have a demo trial, to see if it actually will fit your horse.  I used it on a gaited horse, the pony, and several TB's all we had to change was the pad, we use and impact gel or equipedic pad on the TB;s and saddle blankets on the others. I now can canter everywhere and collect my horse, which didn't happen in a treed saddle.  ( I could canter him in the  arena, but not with any degree of success)  Since we now can go out trail riding, I can feel him getting stronger, something that wasn't happening in a treed saddle.   Nancy