Scrambler

  • Laura Elrod
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
      Scrambler

      My daughter (11)  has been conditioning her older QH, Blaze (20ish) for several weeks.  She has been working up to hilly and rocky trails, close to home.

      Blaze has enjoyed leaving our 10 acres for first time in 3 years.

      They signed up for Ranch sorting for first time ever, and they did very well!  I think that was first time Blaze has seen a cow and she got right on them!

      The problem was the trailer ride there and home.  Blaze could not handle the turns and looked like she was falling and loosing footing at every turn. And the turns were at almost a stop!  We were following the trailer and could see what was happening.  I had a scared and screaming child and honestly my heart was in my throat!

      I looked up online and think it is called scrambling.  Thats is what it looked like, scrambling to regain balance.

      Anyone have this happen  and did you find a remedy???

      The trailer was a straight 2 horse load and had one other horse in it that did just fine.

      We want to take her more places but not that this!

      She has been fine for 2 days and none the worse for the wear!!

      LAURA ELROD

    • Jeanniedee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
        Check the footing in the trailer and make sure it isn't too slick. Also, is it wide enough for the horse to spread its legs for balance? Sometimes the "scrambling" is due to the horse trying to take a wider stance, and its foot hits the wall or partition and slides down it. This horse may just need lots of short, slow trips in the trailer in order to get used to it.

        ~Jean~

        Everything that lives,
        Lives not alone, nor for itself.
        -- William Blake, from Book of Thel

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
          At 06:49 PM 9/3/2012, you wrote:

          My daughter (11) has been conditioning her older QH, Blaze (20ish) for several weeks.  She has been working up to hilly and rocky trails, close to home.

          Blaze has enjoyed leaving our 10 acres for first time in 3 years.

          They signed up for Ranch sorting for first time ever, and they did very well! I think that was first time Blaze has seen a cow and she got right on them!

          The problem was the trailer ride there and home.  Blaze could not handle the turns and looked like she was falling and loosing footing at every turn. And the turns were at almost a stop!  We were following the trailer and could see what was happening.  I had a scared and screaming child and honestly my heart was in my throat!

          I looked up online and think it is called scrambling.  That�s is what it looked like, scrambling to regain balance.
          Haul her alone with no partition and see if she scrambles.  If she doesn't, she may
          not have enough room riding double.

          Marv "A two-horse sometimes doubles as a one-horse." Walker
        • Sherry Lindon
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
            My daughters horse did this in a two horse. we took partition out and he did better. we purchased a stock trailer  and let him ride loose in it. He faced backwards, stood in the center of the trailer and rode with no problems at all. we did end up hauling 2 horses. both liked to look out the back. We tied one to each side and all was well.

            sher in ohio

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
              I, too, had a horse that would scramble in a two horse, straight load. Turns out, she didn't have enough room to spread her legs enough to get proper balance. Took the partition out, and no more scrambling.

              Nicole in New Mexico
              Ladybug Ranch