[MarvWalkerHorses]

  • Theresa Lawton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1 11:51 AM

      So how is everyone and their horses fairing in this heat wave?

      I always worry about the animals when the weather goes to the extremes.

      Theresa in MO

      Theresa Lawton

      TLC Creations
      http://tlccreations.com

    • Susan Smith

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1 12:11 PM
          Right now it is 92. My 2 old guys stay in the barn during the day. It has a nice breeze from the fans and a little darker to deter flys.  I check on them 2 or 3 times a day. (they are a bit away from my house.) They seem fine. They are both 30 ish so I was more worried than when they were younger. At night they venture out and graze.

          sher in ohio

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1 1:17 PM
            Mine seem to be doing fine. They have alot of shade trees to allow them out of direct sun. We are closer to Lake Michigan so they have a lake breeze most of the day. I sponge them down with cool water now and again, but they seem to be adapting well. Carrots just out of the fridge are a favorite!

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1 3:50 PM
              Mine are doing okay too, because of the numerous trees. They are not moving around a lot and appreciate a hosing down now and then... and cold watermelon rinds don't hurt either. But I have not tried to ride recently. We have had three very hot weeks here in SE Texas. This week will be a little cooler, starting with rain yesterday and today.
              Margo

              On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Darlene <cilantro651@...> wrote:

[...]

              View Margo's Architectural work at: www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
              View Margo's Animal Drawings at: http://anim8pics.jigsy.com/

            • (no author)
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1 10:13 PM
                my 2 are just fine -- their paddocks are in dark shade all day long --  they seem fine,
                julie

                 Julie Howard, CMT
                Healing Touch Therapeutic Massage
                9242A Mosby Street
                Manassas, Va 20110
                703-530-0100

              • critterkeeper127@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2 3:24 PM
                  Mine are fine despite continuing drought and hot central Texas heat but they have plenty of shade.  My OTTB needs rinsing off daily because he gets caked with sweat and he always drops a bit of weight but he seems his normal, silly self.  The donkey looks moth eaten from shedding patches of shaggy hair but still good.  And my mustang and paso don't seem to mind the temps as usual.
                  JennB

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3 9:12 AM

                    I think my horse is doing better than me.  Of course not riding for either of us though I will get to go early early tomorrow before the heat hits but we’ll stick to the woods and the shade and not do too much of anything.  It’s the humidity that gets me.

                    Next week I am due to go to a 2 day clinic on Monday and Tuesday so I am really hoping this mess breaks.

                    keria

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3 9:42 AM

                      I forgot to put a subject in my original email.. oops.. my bad?

                      Glad to hear everyone is doing good… my three are crazy I think… they have plenty of access to shade but I will find them standing out in the hot sun like idiots! Guess it doesn’t bother them half as much as it bothers me. I wish this heat wave would break but it sure doesn’t look like it’s going to any time soon.

                      Theresa in (HEY! We got some rain yesterday! First halfway decent rain since April! Woo Hoo!) MO