Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Horse that won't load.

  • cob4cob@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012

      In a message dated 06/04/2012 15:36:42 GMT Daylight Time, krossin@... writes:

      I am foreseeing that the only way he may load is if some other horse is in there.

      I’ll try your method though if I can’t get him on.

      Well, this is how we taught all of ours to load....

      And our farrier uses exactly the same method toteach his horses too.

      Colin.
      UK
    • Rossin, Keria
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012

        Now that was nice.  I’m going to have to figure out what to do with the other 11 horses in our paddock though… OR they will all learn to load. J

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012
          At 10:36 AM 4/6/2012, you wrote:

          Well I don’t know if he won’t load because the last time I loaded him was three years ago when he came to where we are now (story below).  Just knowing what happened them, I am foreseeing that the only way he may load is if some other horse is in there.

          Don't even think of the past.

          Marv "If you believe it you'll see it." Walker

        • Rossin, Keria
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012

            Try not to.  but sometimes that ole devil brain takes over. :P

            Don't even think of the past.

            Marv "If you believe it you'll see it." Walker

          • EVE HADLOCK
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012
              Free training.  Owners will love it.  We will soon be teaching a 4 yr old stallion with little handling to load to move to our place for extensive training.  Oh fun.  Hope he does hurt my featherlite.

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012
                Often times problems with horses are not the horse's problem or what's in his/her mind.... it is what is in the mind of the human handling them. If fear from the past is sitting in your brain waiting to come out, the horse can sense that and you need to work on your mind and visualize a good outcome. You need to CONSCIOUSLY change how you think about things.

                The way to do it is to visualize the whole procedure, and every time a fear rears its ugly head, you have to stop the video in your head, back it up and go to a place before the point of anxiety, and figure out how you would change that.

                One of the best ways to create good memories to replace the bad ones is to do as Marv mentioned... as soon as the horse is hesitant or anxious, stop and wait for it to calm down, then proceed in baby steps to the next point.

                Margo

                www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
              • cob4cob@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012

                  In a message dated 06/04/2012 16:56:15 GMT Daylight Time, sunarab@... writes:
                  Free training.  Owners will love it.  We will soon be teaching a 4 yr old stallion with little handling to load to move to our place for extensive training.  Oh fun.  Hope he does hurt my featherlite.

                  Yep, free training.... one of the reasons why so many people have horse problems is that they fail to appreciate exactly how important free movement is to a horse. The more you restrain, the larger the percentage of his thinking that goes towards getting free instead of the job in hand.

                  A few years ago I had a stallion on 13 weeks quarantine, which meant he was boxed all the time. Initially, his aggression was a problem, until we (he and I) discovered that he had a real talent for swinging a broom in his mouth, and from that day on it became his 'job' to sweep his box while I mucked him out. I must admit to being more that a little sad when his quarantine was up, and he was taken away to the vet unit to be gelded and join all the other rescued horses.

                  Colin
                  UK.
                • Margo Nielsen

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012
                      I was going to do a video of starting this colt til Fred reminded what a mess the place was where we were starting him and he was totally correct.  The couple are 84 and 85 yrs old and husband 85 had just had neck surgery.  We have been picking up crap all week when we are out there.  The fences are all wired and baling twined together.  Its so funny.  When we get the horse to my place we will start the video..  This isn't free training but a job we kinda got talked into.  LOL  We needed the money so hubby agreed  to do it.  The horse likes him and is already following him and coming to him when we whistle for him to come up from the bottom 40.  Today he learned to lounge which was totally unexpected at this point.  He wanted to do it and had never done it before.  It was a good day and good lesson for him.  He was a tired baby and sore from using muscles he had never used before.  He has just been a pasture ornament with hi mother in the next pasture next to him.  Mom don't know anything either.  She learned what carrots were today and wasn't quite sure if she liked them.  She will learn.  She will be so proud of her son.  She watches his lessons.  We had advertised last year for training horses and never a phone call.  This year we answered an ad for a ranch manager and ended up with the ranch manager job as well as this training job.  Dbl duty.  This lady will be opening a guest ranch where there will be dry camping for horse trailers as well as trail rides into the South side of the Rockies and at a later date cabins.  A real dude ranch.  She will have a string of dude horses too so people can rent some trail horses.  Sound interesting.  It should be.

                      Eve

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 6, 2012

                        I’d just put a feed bucket in the open trailer..

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 9, 2012

                          Congrats Eve.  Sounds like life is picking up… I like the ranch manager job.  That should be fun and interesting!  Are you going to move your horses/yourself?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 9, 2012

                            We can but don't think we will.  There is an apartment offered.  With all those different horses being trucked in and diseases.  I think I will leave mine in their own home.  Its only 7 miles from our house but is a ways away from being active.  Owner waiting on financing.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 9, 2012

                              Oh, that’s pretty close.  I can see why you wouldn’t want to move.  Always nicer being in your own place.  I had only one job where my housing was tied to my work.  Job ended – housing ended.  Wasn’t a good thing.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 9, 2012

                                Wow, sounds very promising!

                                Maybe an answer to prayer….

                                LAURA ELROD

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 9, 2012
                                  Never know...

                                  Date: 4/9/2012 6:28:09 AM

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 9, 2012
                                    It does sound promising -- hope it all works out just right!

                                    Lea

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On Apr 9, 2012, at 8:51 AM, "Laura Elrod" <teamlaura@...> wrote:

                                    Wow, sounds very promising!