Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] How much of your life is horses?

  • Margo Nielsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
    Let's see... for the last two years or so, when I was only making about $750/month the horses took about 30% of my income. Now that I am making about twice that, the percentage is less but I am spending a little more than before as Romeo gets older and needs extra supplements. Also Cherokee's vet visit to remove a tumor was outside the budget ($60).

    On the other hand, three of my four dogs have died in the last year, from ailments that come with old age ($1000 worth of vet bills), and Friskie, age 15, only has a few months to go before her tumors get the best of her... so I am spending less on dogs' vet visits and food this year.

    Then again, several months ago someone dropped off two kittens. Now that they are spayed and neutered, there are no foreseeable vet visits other than checkups and shots for SIX cats.

    So... I spend between $250 and $300/ month (15% - 20%) on the horses.

    The trade off is that I don't have to see a chiropractor once or twice a month anymore and my health has become better since I got the horses 13 years ago. I used to have aches and pains from a sedentary life back in my 40's, arthritis was settling in and I had creeping depression, which was a hardship for my then young daughter.

    Now, at 62, I never get sick (except for the occasional migraine), so I can't say how much money I have saved on doctors' bills, medication, therapy and health insurance, but it's got to be at least as much as I am spending on the horses.

    In contrast, the rest of my family's health problems from having a "normal" life without animals and physical activity, are numerous, including heart conditions, diabetes, osteoporosis, being overweight and huge medical expenses. So even genetic vulnerabilities can be conquered through lifestyle choices.

    I made a conscious decision to NOT expect to make a profit on my animals so that I would not have to deal with conflicts regarding their care,
    i.e. "Will I ever get my money back if I do this or that?"
    My questions is always, "Will the animal be better off if I do this or that?"

    Time wise, I don't ride much, but am in contact with all the horses 3 or 4 times a day when I feed, groom or move them to neighbors' yards for grass... about two or three hours a day. When I ride it is for one to two hours, except for an occasional four hour trail ride or parade. I've been trimming their feet for about 2 years now, at least once a month.

    Each time they get moved is an opportunity to live the bonder.

    When they are down at Blaze's house, Phoebe, my pony mule, is reluctant to go home. Cherokee is very possessive over her, but I think she likes Blaze better. Cherokee is a 22 year old bossy Pinto gelding (who thinks he is a stallion) and Blaze is a handsome, gentle, flaxen chestnut, 12 year old Arabian gelding.

    I circle around Blaze's pen to get behind them and Phoebe heads out first. Sometimes she tries to circle around to get back to Blaze, but I take one path and Cherokee takes another and we block her from turning around. Then Cherokee nudges her all the way home, snaking his neck, until she is in their pen. I am following 100 feet behind so that Friskie (the dog) can keep up with me. The horses stay out of the road, in the ditch, but Friskie is almost deaf and doesn't hear when a car comes up behind her.

    Romeo has usually come home already and it is an opportunity to get some extra food in him before the other two get home.

    In the past I have been paid for giving riding lessons, but that was on Sadie and Toffah. Cherokee doesn't have the training that they did, Romeo, at 30, is too old and Phoebe is only 36" and at about 15 years old, is barely trained at all.

    I have a friend who used to have a dozen horses at any given time, gave lessons and trail rides and bought and sold horses for a profit. Her husband was a great help when it came to getting hay and getting ready for parades. She made decent money doing it, but time caught up with the both of them (he is 70 now and she is 55) and it became too hard and none of her kids were interested in continuing it.

    So she has turned to gardening and has a resale shop now. She brought me a bale of hay last week, when my van was in the shop, and was very distressed that she could hardly lift a bale anymore... she's 7 years younger than me.

    Here is a picture of Phoebe meeting Blaze for the first time with Cherokee being the chaparone.

    Margo

    On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Marv Walker <Marv@...> wrote:
    What percentage of your life, money, time, assets are spent on horses?

    Marv "Anyone here make a profit on horses?" Walker

    <*> Your email settings:
       Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
       (Yahoo! ID required)

    <*> To change settings via email:
       MarvWalkerHorses-digest@yahoogroups.com
       MarvWalkerHorses-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    --
    www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
  • cob4cob@aol.com
    Message 2 of 10 , Feb 15, 2012

      In a message dated 14/02/2012 13:55:09 GMT Standard Time, Marv@... writes:
      What percentage of your life, money, time, assets are spent on horses?

      Marv "Anyone here make a profit on horses?" Walker

      Well, the best thing I can say are two UK adages (though by now they've probably crossed the pond) Firstly, If you want to make a little money with horses... Start with a lot. Secondly, I've spent a lot of my life around horses... the rest I just wasted.

      Regards

      Colin
      UK.

    • Margo Nielsen

        Message 4 of 10 , Feb 15, 2012

          You know you are spending too much time on Facebook when you want to reply to an email by hitting the like button

          Message 5 of 10 , Feb 15, 2012
            Right!
            Margo