Our very first trip out of the yard. Not even honking bothered him. Ya so proud of him.

  • kathysfullmoon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2012

    Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™
  • Laura Elrod
    Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2012

      Neat markings on his neckJ

      LAURA ELROD

      From: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kathysfullmoon@...
      Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 6:47 PM
      To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MarvWalkerHorses] Our very first trip out of the yard. Not even honking bothered him. Ya so proud of him. [1 Attachment]

      Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

    • Lea Zukas
      Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2012
        What an adorable face!  But who the heck honks at horses?!

        Lea

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2012
          The husband. He thought I was on the mom. PC is 7/8 arab and pinto. The mom can be ridden in and around anything. She was rised around heavy equipment , and also a pinto Arabian.,

          Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

          Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2012
            He looks very alert, but not unhappy!
            Margo

            On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM, kathysfullmoon@... <KATHYSFULLMOON@...> wrote:
            [Attachment(s) from kathysfullmoon@... included below]

            Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

            Attachment(s) from kathysfullmoon@...

            1 of 1 Photo(s)

            --
            www.nielsenhausdesigns.com
          • Lea Zukas
            Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2012
              Oh!  Well, I'll give him a pass then, LOL.  And what a good boy for staying calm!

              Lea

              Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2012
                What are all those straps hanging from his bridle?

                Marv "Strapped at the moment." Walker
              • kathysfullmoon@aol.com
                Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2012
                  They are draw reins. I like to be able keep his head down if need be. How ever he doesn't want pull on my hands at all. He gives to leg already. We will work on headset later when we are more trail wise. The only real problem is speed trotting is as fast as we go and I have to keep leg and heal on him the whole time. So far we only go half a lap before we stop. He will not be a barrel horse. Western pleasure is where are headed.

                  Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

                  Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2012
                    They are draw reins. I like to be able keep his head down if need be. How ever he doesn't want pull on my hands at all. He gives to leg already. We will work on headset later when we are more trail wise. The only real problem is speed trotting is as fast as we go and I have to keep leg and heal on him the whole time. So far we only go half a lap before we stop. He will not be a barrel horse. Western pleasure is where are headed.

                    Draw reins don't pull the head down, they pull the head back and in.  If you get
                    into trouble with the horse and you over use the draw reins you'll pull its head
                    back to the point it will change his center of gravity and greatly increase the
                    chances of him going up and over.

                    To me, a better way is to teach the horse the head down cue and then simply
                    tell the horse to put its head down.  Used in conjunction with responding to
                    pressure you can place the horse's head where you want it.

                    On the trail I allow the horse to carry its head where it wants.  The head and
                    neck are crucial to maintaining proper balance and it need to be free to float
                    as needed.

                    Marv "Proper headset is proper when it's proper." Walker
                  • Alexis Geiger
                    Message 10 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                      This post definately needs a LIKE button!!!  I am not a big agreeier (If that is even a word) of all of the newfangled devices, gimics, devices that are used these days.  All I ever use is a smooth ring snaffle, simple reins, and a good fitting saddle.  I can teach a horse just about anything that is needed just by rethinking how these devices work and work with the horse on a simple give and take/reward system.  And ALLOT of the times it is done faster and is *set in concrete* because I don't need those to get the results I am looking for.

                      ~~___(\
                      .../< >\

                      A Dog looks up to a man,
                      A cat looks down on a man,
                      But a patient horse looks a man in the eye and sees him as an equal.

                      Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                        If you notice in the picture there is slack in the lines. I am not teaching the head set. It was his first ride off the property, we were riding alone and I didn't want anything to happen. So I had precautionary equipment. It is better to have too much then be caught a flat footed. First trip out went very very smoothly. He is going to be a western pleasure show horse. so I think it is important not to have any problems that I have to fix later. He already gives to leg pressure and seat shifting.
                        Kathy in naples florida

                        Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                          If you notice in the picture there is slack in the lines. I am not teaching the head set. It was his first ride off the property, we were riding alone and I didn't want anything to happen. So I had precautionary equipment. It is better to have too much then be caught a flat footed. First trip out went very very smoothly. He is going to be a western pleasure show horse. so I think it is important not to have any problems that I have to fix later. He already gives to leg pressure and seat shifting.

                          I hope you are not taking my comments personally.

                          Draw reins cause more disasters than they prevent,  No matter where you
                          put a horse's head during a SUE (serious unexpected event) it can still move
                          and a horse with its head locked up may violently struggle to find its true its
                          balance.

                          Do some horses stop when their head is in an uncomfortable position?  Sure.
                          Enough do to make them popular for the purpose.

                          As far as using them for head setting goes, they apply the same mechanics to
                          all horses regardless of their neck conformation.

                          Marv "Use what you can, toss the rest." Walker
                        • Ladybug Ranch
                          Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                            Hey there,

                            Not knowing at all what draw reins do, what is the purpose of draw reins, and what do they keep from happening (from your previous post, when you say "I didn't want anything to happen")? I'm truly interested in their function. Also, does this mean you arre holding two sets of reins in your hands?

                            From what I've read from Marv, if draw reins pull the horse's head back and in, that would cause the neck to arch, their back to hollow, and would throw off their center of gravity. From my experience, that only makes the horse harder to control.

                            I'm working with a greenie of my own as well. She was actually sent to a trainer to have her started, and the first thing the trainer taught my horse was flexing side to side, then she taught yielding hind quarters, and then when under saddle she put them both together to get a one rein stop/hind quarter yield. When I started riding her, I too learned how to do this. The skill was put to use last Sunday when, on the trail, a small truck popped over a hill and my horse spun around and bolted. A one rein stop got her stopped within three strides. She is wearing a plain western headstall with a simple snaffle bit.

                            Nicole in New Mexico
                            Ladybug Ranch