Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Let's Talk About Slow Feeding

  • Ladybug Ranch
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2011
      I've seen some feeders made with an old water tank or wooden box, where you make a screen that fits in the box on top of the hay. The screen can be made from fencing or netting with 2" holes. The screen rests on top of the hay, so that when the horses eat the hay down, the screen gets closer and closer to the bottom. Does that make sense?

      On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM, margon (Clearwire) <margon@...> wrote:

      Can't you just hang hay nets on the fence posts, evenly spaced? I'm assuming you don't mean round bales, although they do make a slow feed net for them too, so there is not a lot of waste and trampling.

      Margo

      On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Jones <jdjones@...> wrote:

      Is anyone here using slow feeding bags, nets, feeders, etc.?  I'm looking at different designs and wonder which would endure best in my situation.  Two pair of horses are in large paddocks with free shelter, and the rest are in a large pasture with free shelter.  That's the group that presents a challenge.  Can I anchor slow-feed bags/nets well enough that they aren't in the river, or wayyyyy out in the field during really foul weather?  None of my horsekids are shod, so I don't have to worry about nails or shoes getting into the nets.  Recycling is desireable, and possible bins to hold nets include a heavy old oak feed box, water tanks that no longer hold water (but make nice planters!), tubs that held protein licks, farm tires, and anywhere bags could be tied to a fence or building.  The beta horses (only alpha here is me) do play "musical feed spot" in the winter, so I'd like to spread out the bags somewhat without making refilling a marathon.

      My leggy 6'2" husband has done a lot of the difficult hay distribution in snowy times, but he's been having shoulder pain, then a constricted throat, since June.  He had a benign "blob" (the doc's word) removed at the start of August, but the pain didn't go away.  After rounds of tests and scans, yesterday he was told he has a thyroid tumor that is probably cancerous.  A needle biopsy is probably a week or more away (dratted holiday schedules!), and I'm sure I'll be doing most of the winter stuff that takes me infinitely longer to complete.  DH is not worried about himself, especially as he had a successful run at a vocal cord lesion in 2009...we do wonder why the thyroid thing was so hard to find as he's had frequent checks by two docs ever since.  Anyway, he *will* worry about me, and I'm looking for things that will help both of us, keeping the horses enjoyable instead of a complication during this rough spot.  The forecast for Ohio is more snow than usual, oh, boy.  It seems slow feeding will be best at keeping hay out of the snow, as well as cutting waste.

      Thanks!
      JanisCJ

      --

    • Laura Elrod
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 26, 2011

        Hey Janis,

        I was deleting old emails and wondered how your Husband’s test turned out???

        Did you figure out feeders?

        I could use your  slow feeder ideas for our approaching Georgia winter.

        They waste a lot of round bale hay!!!

        LAURA ELROD

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 27, 2011
          Drat, my reply still hasn't made it to the list. Let's try that again...
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
            Just wanted to see if this would ever reach my inbox. I posted a reply on the 26th, and it never showed up. I posted it a 2nd time via the Yahoo group web page, and I never saw it via e-mail. Did anyone else see it? This has happened on and off with this list & Yahoo over many years, even on different ISP accounts. Sometimes, when I post to the list, I don't see any posts from it in e-mail for days even when there's a lot of activity. I think the problem must occur when that last leg of the digital hand-off reaches the local infrastructure that is driven by hamsters in wheels. :)

            JanisCJ

            --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, "facsimile1" <jdjones@...> wrote:

            > Drat, my reply still hasn't made it to the list. Let's try that again...
          • Lea Zukas
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
              Well, my hamsters got it to me just fine, LOL.

              Lea

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011

                I did not see it on 26th

                LAURA ELROD

                Well, my hamsters got it to me just fine, LOL.

                Lea

                On Dec 28, 2011, at 8:43 PM, facsimile1 wrote:

                Just wanted to see if this would ever reach my inbox. I posted a reply on the 26th, and it never showed up. I posted it a 2nd time via the Yahoo group web page, and I never saw it via e-mail. Did anyone else see it? This has happened on and off with this list & Yahoo over many years, even on different ISP accounts. Sometimes, when I post to the list, I don't see any posts from it in e-mail for days even when there's a lot of activity. I think the problem must occur when that last leg of the digital hand-off reaches the local infrastructure that is driven by hamsters in wheels. :)

                JanisCJ

                --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, "facsimile1" <jdjones@...> wrote:

                > Drat, my reply still hasn't made it to the list. Let's try that again...

              • margon (Clearwire)
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
                  Me too...
                  Margo

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                    In my frustration, I wasn't clear enough...did anyone see the reply I posted to Laura's questions?  I kinda hate to run it through a 3rd time as that will surely cause some disturbance in cyberspace that will cause it to hit the list over and over and...

                    Thanks!
                    JanisCJ
                  • margon (Clearwire)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011