Teaching a horse to lay down

  • CJ
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
      Hello everyone - haven't posted in ages - I've been reading some of the threads though, and I hope you all are well.

      Question: my daughter is off and running with her new training business and has a client who wanted her to teach his horse to lie down on command which she promptly did. Other than being the coolest thing ever - and helping a handicapped rider mount - what would be some of the other reasons you would want to teach your horse this?

      Cindy
    • revdavekeith@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
        Maybe...so you could read him/her a bedtime story and tuck them in to sleep ??            David & Dawn

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
          Cavalry troops would use the horse for a shield in battle, so this could be
          useful for re-enactors. It might also be worthwhile to down the horse if
          you're caught in a sudden storm with high winds and lightning. In that
          case, if you can't take shelter, the best place to be is on the ground.

          JanisCJ

          > Hello everyone - haven't posted in ages - I've been reading some of the
          > threads though, and I hope you all are well.
          >
          > Question: my daughter is off and running with her new training business
          > and has a client who wanted her to teach his horse to lie down on command
          > which she promptly did. Other than being the coolest thing ever - and
          > helping a handicapped rider mount - what would be some of the other
          > reasons you would want to teach your horse this?
          >
          > Cindy

        • Kimmy Landen
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2011