Quarterhorse Show - Stars & Stripes Circuit

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
      I went to the Stars & Stripes Circuit Quarterhorse Show at the GIHP today.
      It's been awhile since I've seen that much opulence all in one place. There
      were a bunch of large Wanderlodge types of motorhomes, fancy trucks and
      trailers of all kinds.

      And I gather the Stars & Stripes Circuit is not part of the big AQHA show
      starting next week.

      I saw very few horses, percentage wise, that weren't 16 hands plus. They
      were huge. I would guess most of them were over 1200 pounds.

      I wandered over to Western Pleasure area, because, HELLO???, it's been
      my "discipline" for most of my life. CURSE YOU LONE RANGER AND
      YOUR FRIENDS, CISCO KID AND HOPALONG CASSIDY!!!

      I watched a couple classes and they seemed normal enough on the outside.

      As I watched, a question arose in my head, "How is it so many horses can
      have such oddly moving hindquarters?" It was almost as if one the legs
      was wooden and wouldn't bear too much weight for too long. They moved
      like a one-crutched person. Instead of free flow it looked like skipping.

      Then I wandered over to the warmup arenas. After a few moments I
      looked around for a barf bucket. Finding none I thought, "Perhaps I'm
      the only one who sees all this junk going on." I saw horses being spurred
      at every step they made. I saw their mouths being sawed on. Their necks
      and heads were forced into unnatural positions as they pulled skipping hind
      quarters along with walking front legs. I saw several horses pushed into
      the fence and forced to face it as they cantered(???) along it. Large
      shanked curb bits abruptly jerked to stop the horse. I could write a book
      but those who need it won't read it.

      I wanted to sail over the fence and jerk most of them off the horses
      but I thought they'd be forced to kill me and that wouldn't make the
      horses' lives any better.

      In all my years of dealing with horses' people problems it seems the most
      belligerent, bull headed, self-centered know it all quarter horse people are
      the ones I've come across the most. It is almost as though their self
      worth seems to come from showing everyone how skillful they are at
      over powering horses.

      What happened to showing for fun?

      Oh well... Just keep on going, I guess.

      Marv "A Corgi spotted me and somehow knew I was a Corgi person and came
      up to talk. As I was scratching him I noticed a heavy box on one of
      his collars.
      It was a shock collar." Walker
    • margon (Clearwire)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
        I guess you've missed a number of YouTube videos that demonstrate this as the norm...absolute horror show. I don't know how they can use the word "Pleasure" in that class because it sure isn't. The horses' heads are so low that it's a wonder they can pick up their front feet at all. Maybe you should forward your letter to the management.

        Poor Corgi, but par for the course.

        Margo

        On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Marv Walker <Marv@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           MarvWalkerHorses-digest@yahoogroups.com
           MarvWalkerHorses-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
          I guess you've missed a number of YouTube videos that demonstrate this as the norm...absolute horror show. I don't know how they can use the word "Pleasure" in that class because it sure isn't. The horses' heads are so low that it's a wonder they can pick up their front feet at all. Maybe you should forward your letter to the management.

          Poor Corgi, but par for the course.

          I watch very few YouTube videos.  I live so far out in the woods the Internet
          signal comes in the mail and it takes forever to watch any of them.

          Marv "I'll show you I can do what I want to do." Walker
        • revdavekeith@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
            Marv, you would notice far more of the sophisticated details than I would,  but I have seen the worst examples of poor horse handling at horse shows, and usually with the more popular breeds (like QH's).  Even when my first wife and I were still  breeding Lippitt Morgans,  I NEVER made any attempt to conform to horse show attitudes.  I did the announcing for a few Morgan shows in Eastern Canada but that was it.  Ironically, one colt we bred (and sold before he was born) has become about the most dominant Morgan show horse in Canada, trained solely by the people who bought him from me and with very humane and sensible methods.  (And this in spite of the fact he is an "old type, high percentage" Morgan, not out of the more modern popular show ring lines!)  I have come to the conclusion that I pity any breed of horse that gains show ring popularity, for they will ruin it.  The same goes for dogs (Dawn and I have a hobby of raising Cavalier King Charles Spaniels).                                                                                                                                                                                                         David Keith

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
              good grief!!!  on a little corgi?????  dont people kno how to TRAIN dogs anymore????
              julie
              Marv "A Corgi spotted me and somehow knew I was a Corgi person and came
              up to talk. As I was scratching him I noticed a heavy box on one of
              his collars.
              It was a shock collar."

               Julie Howard, CMT
              Healing Touch Therapeutic Massage
              9242A Mosby Street
              Manassas, Va 20110
              703-530-0100

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011

                Beautiful dogs.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
                      ... and so do I... sometimes.....
                      julie
                      Dawn and I have a hobby of raising Cavalier King Charles Spaniels).                                                                                                                                                       &nb sp;                                                 David Keith

                       Julie Howard, CMT
                      Healing Touch Therapeutic Massage
                      9242A Mosby Street
                      Manassas, Va 20110
                      703-530-0100

                      Marv, you would notice far more of the sophisticated details than I would,  but I have seen the worst examples of poor horse handling at horse shows, and usually with the more popular breeds (like QH's).  Even when my first wife and I were still  breeding Lippitt Morgans,  I NEVER made any attempt to conform to horse show attitudes.  I did the announcing for a few Morgan shows in Eastern Canada but that was it.  Ironically, one colt we bred (and sold before he was born) has become about the most dominant Morgan show horse in Canada, trained solely by the people who bought him from me and with very humane and sensible methods.  (And this in spite of the fact he is an "old type, high percentage" Morgan, not out of the more modern popular show ring lines!)  I have come to the conclusion that I pity any breed of horse that gains show ring popularity, for they will ruin it.  The same go es for dogs (Dawn and I have a hobby of raising Cavalier King Charles Spaniels).                                                                                                                                                       &nb sp;                                                 David Keith

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011

                        Absolutely.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                          I had that problem until they brought broadband to my area.

                          There was one short video recently which people embedded in their emails which showed a well known rider/trainer being extremely harsh with a mare that was trying to comply with his conflicting demands...spurring her and jerking on her mouth at the same time...

                          It was a warm up just before the class and the judges were sitting just yards away on their high chairs reading their clipboards, ignoring it.

                          The video went viral and received so much negative feedback that the rider/trainer inserted a panel of text at the beginning of the video that threatened anyone who shared the video. That action caused another storm of negative feedback.   : }

                          Margo

                          --

                        • NANCY NYGAARD
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                            I saw that and some others...weren't they awful????.....just made me sick to my stomach to see a horse so badly mistreated.....NancyN

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                              Yes they were painful to watch.