Swollen Udder Question

  • Lisa Freitas
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2011
      Okay Friends, I purchased two miniature donkeys a couple months ago - my four month old Noelle and a six year old named Hannah.  Hannah is a "maiden" mare that is very small and sold to us because we didn't plan to breed and her breeders/owners thought she was too small to breed/deliver.

      Yesterday I walked out in the pasture to see her and give her and Murphy (her gelded jack friend.)  When the treats were done, she turned to walk away and I noticed a swollen udder.  I've bred horses and know what a swollen udder looks like.  Today I went out to check her again - after not finding anything on the net to explain a swollen udder other than pregnancy/pending delivery, and I was able to express some clear liquid from the udder.

      Question: is there anything else that might be causing syptoms of pregnancy that is not pregnancy?  I think she's pregnant, but am curious if there is something I'm missing.

      Lisa

    • EVE HADLOCK
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2011
        Is there any change with her vaginal entrance area or  has the dock of her tail muscles become flabby?  Watch for waxing.  If you have a stethescope (SP) maybe you could check for a heart beat.  Never have done this so don't know if this  would work or if you could tell the difference between stomach/bowel sounds  or a heatbeat.  Just guessing at this point.  I wonder if a pregnancy test package would work on a mare?  Just ideas.  I'm not a vet.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2011
          Is she around a bred mare??? when I was a kid...we had a pg mare...and our fairly new shetland pony bagged right up with her???....Vet said ..."sympathetic" pregnancy....funny tho....IF not...I have no clue!!!...OH...is she with your goats who might be PG???? regards, Nancy

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2011
            Good thought.   She just might have sympathetic pregnancy.

[...]

          • margon (Clearwire)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                My hackney pony did that and sacred the bejebies out of me!!  Vet came and palpated her and found nothing, she was even leaking milk.  He said that some mares, maiden or previously bred, will over produce hormones when they are in heat causing this.  If you are truely worried have your vet out to palpate her.

                ~~___(\
                .../< >\

                A Dog looks up to a man,
                A cat looks down on a man,
                But a patient horse looks a man in the eye and sees him as an equal.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                  Thanks everyone...I guess it is a wait and see situation.  No real change today... so could be a false pregnancy.  There is a creek through the pasture and Hannah and Murphy are on the other side of the creek and she refuses to cross the creek and come up to the barn.  So, if she has a baby, it will be out in the back pasture.  She is such a good little donkey.  Let's me touch her everywhere.  I was pushin on her belly and swear I moved something inside, but who knows.  I'm not a vet and not calling one out...if she is, she is.  If she isn't, she isn't.

                  We enclosed two new paddock areas today.  Frodo, Shadow and Myah are very happy campers today with all the new grazing for them.

                  Made an appointment with the equine dentist for May 18th.  Life gets better every day!

                  Lisa

                  To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2011
                    I'll be interested in the eventual solution to your mystery.  This isn't something I've seen.  In a semi-related note, the only time I was ever bit by a horse, I was checking the udder on a mare who foaled only a few days later and had never shown any aggression before or for the remainder of her days.  Boy, did she get me!  And I got her right back. :)

                    JanisCJ

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2011
                      I will share the "solution" to my mystery!  lol

                      Lisa

                      To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jdjones@...
                      Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 18:02:24 -0400