Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] I could use some advice, please.

  • keyes
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 1, 2010
      I never thought that she might have been trick trained.

      I don't know where she spent the first two years of her life but the last two have been with a herd of about 30 other horses. I was told that she was purchased for kids who quickly lost interest in her as they wanted to ride the bigger horses.

      Yesterday afternoon my husband and I went to try on a bridle I had made for her.  She seemed to be in a highly agitated mood.  (We found the bottom 2 lines of fence had been broken.  One was wire and one was polytape.  No idea what caused that.  Maybe someone rolled too close to the fence. ???  Also, the neighbors were causing a lot of commotion with chain saws and backhoes on the other side of the fence.)

      We put her in the round pen but she wanted no part of the bridle fitting deal.  Kept rearing up. She's may be only 13.2 hh but when she pulls that crap she might as well be 17hh.  I ended the session by just walking her around the pen a few times and talking to her.  It didn't seem to calm her down at all.

      I will be watching Marv's video about rearing horses today.

      Anyway, a bit later my daughter stopped by to see her.  She came up with Reo but had no interest in any attention from us.  She kept Reo (our 8 y.o. gelding)  between us and her then she nudged him away (kind of funny to watch) until she got him at the furthest end of the pasture away from us.

      Seems to me that everything is on her terms.  Sometimes she will walk up to us then a few minutes later she won't come near. Then we might be able to walk up to her but in the next few minutes if we walk up to her she'll bolt.  My friend described her as "running hot and cold".  That's pretty much sums it up.

      We just got her on Sat. but each day that goes by she seems to get progressively more agitated and standoffish about contact with us.  I never know what to expect from her one minute to the next.  Reo is her security blanket.

      Tomorrow I have nothing on my schedule so I was thinking I'd put her in the round pen and leave her there and go in every couple of hours and fuss with her.  Would this help or hurt?  Or, any other suggestions?
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 2, 2010
        Adele!  Great story!  You should post more!

        Rhonda