Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Mozy.com questions

  • margon (Clearwire)
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2009
      Marv,

      Thanks for the info...

      I read a few articles and blogs about the "Black Screen of Death"...
      which has a black screen with a mobile cursor and nothing else. They have provided a simple fix for it...but...

      That is not what my computer monitor is doing...it just shuts down (the little light goes off). Most of the time I can get it to turn back on by jiggling the monitor. It acts more like it has a loose wire. I have checked all the plugs and connections...they seem to be fine.

      My monitor also flickers every once in a while and seems to fade to a pinkish tint often. My daughter made some adjustments in the color of the screen and it helped a bit, but didn't fix it entirely.

      My daughter thinks its a virus or bug. I have AVG and it seems to keep everything else out.

      On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Marv Walker <Marv@...> wrote:

      At 12:44 PM 12/3/2009, you wrote:

      I have taken the plunge into Cloud Computing and backed up my computer's files at Mozy.com.

      https://mozy.com/?ref=MH2GX7

      My computer is behaving better on IE8 but the monitor keeps shutting down. I don't think it's going to crash, but you never know!

      Do a Google, on Google or any where else for black screen problem.

      This problem seems to be especially prevalent in Windows 7 but it
      can hit any operating system.  MS doesn't seem to think it's a real
      customer issue, but you seem to.

      Something is corrupted somewhere.  The real trick is finding out
      what is causing it.

      Marv "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely." Walker

      www.nielsenhaus.webs.com

    • margon (Clearwire)
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2009
        It's been reloaded twice in the last year. Shouldn't my AVG be protecting me from  having to do this?

        On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM, EVE HADLOCK <sunarab@...> wrote:

        Click Me!
        Reload your opertating system due to corrupt files

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2009
          Sorry I can't help. I switched to Mozilla several months ago when all the websites were warning me that they will no longer function on IE6.

          After installing IE7 and having it crash and losing 5 years of files I wanted to stay away from Windows.

          I used Mozilla for a while, but had the same problem that you do. I don't know enough to fix it either.

          Margo

          On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM, CJ Newcomb <newcombcj50@...> wrote:

          Speaking of non-working computers - something has happened since updating to the new mozilla firefox.  All the youtube videos I try to watch play halfway through and then stop and freeze.  I've tried the pause button, and wait until it loads, but it still happens.  I've researched the internet and others are definitely having the same problem, but I don't understand the computereese language of how to fix it.

          ?

          Anyone have the dummy version of how to fix it?

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2009

            Margo,
              The first thing I would suspect is your monitor since the colors fade and the power light goes out.  The monitor plug could be the problem - remove the plug to the computer and check the little pins. One could be bent, if so straighten it with needle nose pliers.  The new LCD monitors are cheap these days.
              If you swap monitors and the same thing happens it is the monitor card in the computer.  If the monitor plug-in is actuallly part of the main board of the computer then the monitor circuitry is failing.  That could mean a motherboard replacement.
              Also, the power supply may be going out.  That will cause the motherboard to fry completely or produce monitor problems.  Power supplies can be easily checked at your local computer store - usually for less than $20.  A replacement power supply sells for $40 to $100+ depending on what you need.  Motherboards go for $60-$200.  If your computer is old, I would suspect the power supply.  Get it checked before it takes out the motherboard.  If it goes out it shouldn't hurt the hard drive though.   If you have an emachine computer take the hard drive out and run over the computer with your truck.  That is about how much it is worth.

            keith

            I read a few articles and blogs about the "Black Screen of Death"... which has a black screen with a mobile cursor and nothing else. They have provided a simple fix for it...but...  That is not what my computer monitor is doing...it just shuts down (the little light goes off). Most of the time I can get it to turn back on by jiggling the monitor. It acts more like it has a loose wire. I have checked all the plugs and connections...they seem to be fine. My monitor also flickers every once in a while and seems to fade to a pinkish tint often. My daughter made some adjustments in the color of the screen and it helped a bit, but didn't fix it entirely. My daughter thinks its a virus or bug. I have AVG and it seems to keep everything else out.

          • CJ Newcomb
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
              With the screen problem and virus stuff.... I had a virus once on my computer that got past my protections because I downloaded something from a web site and it was attached to that.  The virus software did quarantine it, but my tech guy said that it immediately duplicated itself and changed it's file name when quarantined.  After that every time I ran a scan and the virus software would catch it, it would again duplicate itself and change the file name when I tried to delete it - eventually my hard drive crashed.  But my I.T. guy is so good he was able to fix everything - but it sure was a pain.

              Cindy

            • CJ Newcomb
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                --- On Fri, 12/4/09, kljordan <kljordan@...> wrote:

                  If you have an emachine computer take the hard drive out and run over the computer with your truck.

                Love it! LOL

              • Charles
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009

                  How old is the monitor?  Has anything happened to it lately?  How does it behave with other computers?  Does the same thing happen if you hook up a different monitor to your computer?

                  Charles

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                    Margo, that sounds like a dying monitor to me.  Especially the pinkish tint and the jiggling part.
                    Rox in CA

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                      Cindy, point me in the direction of the fixes and maybe I can help you.
                      Rox in CA

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                        Click Me!
                        No files become corrupt for a lot of reasons.  I had one computer that had blue screens all the time.  It had a piece of hardware going out .  That might be your problem too.  If you are looking for great prices on computers TigerDirect.com have great prices.

                      • lindonontime@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                          Yes they do! and My daughter recently bought a laptop at $300 and just loves it. I've gotten many things from them.
                          sher in ohio

                          Live simply. Love generously.
                          Care deeply. Speak kindly.
                          Leave the rest to God.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                            I don't have any money to buy or fix anything right now.

                            Between working in the Deli at Walmart and the convenience store, I'm making $800-$900 a month, which leaves very little for anything but the basics.

                            I've been trying to drum up House Plan clients at the real estate offices and putting flyers up everywhere.

                            I'm in the process of developing a website (might as well learn more about computers) for pet portraits and animal drawings, and dropping flyers off at vet's offices and the feed store.

                            It's pretty amateur, but it's out there.... Anim8Pics with Anim8Vids...

                            That's why computer problems are so annoying. I'm trying to contemporize my skills and it's like swimming upstream!

                            Check it out...some of the pics are fuzzy and I have more to add.

                            Margo

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                              A few of my friends have said that also...

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                                Click Me!
                                You would have thought as we grew older our lives would have become easier but that is not true.  My son is finally realizing how hard life is.  He had such a rich childhood and has made a great wage since leaving the marine corp almost 20 yrs ago but now in his 40's he is having a hard time and underwater with his home.  He lives in S. CA but cant get him to see the light that he needs to get out of there for a better life.  He loves the weather there but hates everything else.

                                Your website is great.  You R such a great artist.  I hope it works for you.  Get some advertising going o advertise your website.  Try Facebook, Twitter, MySpace.  If I can spare the extra money, just learning to live on retirement monies, I am going to have you do my daughter dog.  She is so dear to us.  She is a puppy I raised from birth, mommy pug died this last year.  She was near dead when born at the vets and almost died 3 times while bringing her up.  She is just precious.  Good Luck.  We are suppose to have snow this next week.  Hope our shelters hold up.  We don't get a lot here but you never know with this crazy weather patterns.  We still have snow on he ground from the Last storm last weekend.

                                Click Me!Eve

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009

                                   Margo, this is almost perfect timing.  We are having to put down one of our dogs this coming Tuesday.  We have had her since she was 8 weeks old and she is now 12 and 1/2 years old.  I am going to take some pictures of her this weekend and I would love for you to try and do something with one of them.  My husband would be so touched as this is his baby.  I will be in touch with you.

                                  Rox in CA

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                                    Click Me!
                                    WTG....  Good Luck MargoClick Me!Click Me!

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                                      I have 2 monitors that I am not using. They are the big ones. I would be more than glad to ship one of them or both of them to you. I don't know how much shipping would be tho.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                                        Eve,

                                        We all have to deal with this crunch in our own way...yur son will figure out what he needs to do.

                                        My websites are linked to Twitter and FaceBook and Ping already. I'll just keep adding regular updates so people will get used to seeing them. The updates will probably be whatever new pictures I do. It's gonna be so much fun!

                                        We're going through the worst weather this area ever has. It's been in the 40's all day, had a little snow mixed in with rain. some areas had sleet and others had a real snowfall!

                                        The shelter is holding up well. Romeo prefers to stay in front of the trailer, and now that it's not raining anymore, I am letting him be there. Cherokee and Phoebe have taken over Romeo's stall. They huddled there throughout the driving cold rain and stay there when the wind is blowing. I'm so glad I went ahaead and made the shelter. I know it's doing them some good. I am able to feed them there without it getting wet and soggy.

                                        I love your rolling snowman!

                                        Margo

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                                          Rox,

                                          I am so sorry to hear that.

                                          I have lost many animals this time of year, so I am not entirely merry before Xmas. I had to put Ceper, the drawing of the dog with the intense eyes, asleep on Xmas Eve 1985, at 14 1/2 years old. And Toffah died last year around this time. I'm still coping with that.

                                          Just get in touch any time you want.

                                          Margo

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 4, 2009
                                            Sher,

                                            Thank you for the offer and hold on to that thought...

                                            My brother is going to be giving me his computer some time in the near future. It has more memory and is more powerful and newer than this one. He is upgrading to some thing else. He is in the process of transferring all his files from one to the other.

                                            I will be able to do a lot more on that one. So this monitor only has to last a little while longer. When I get the other one, I will be using it for my drawings etc. but I will keep this one and fix whatever needs fixing for personal (email) stuff. Then I can contact you about getting one or the other of the monitors.

                                            I would hate to spend money shipping to use it just for a couple of weeks, even though it is a cheap enough fix. And if he doesn't give me the computer by the end of the year, I'll go ahead and get the monitor from you. Mine's a big one too. I'm always way behind the times!

                                            Margo

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 5, 2009
                                                Click Me!
                                                Yes it looks like snow coming our way today.  The skies are pretty dark and its windy outside.  The low yesterday was 2 and today even though its 30 its colder feeling due to the wind.  Oh well its winter time.

                                                Glad you enjoyed rolly polly Santa Thought he was very fitting for the time.  Hard to type with snoozing pug on arm.  Click Me!

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 5, 2009
                                                  Sometimes my cat does that.

                                                  On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM, EVE HADLOCK <sunarab@...> wrote:

[...]

                                                  http://www.anim8pics.viviti.com

                                                • CJ Newcomb
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 6, 2009
                                                    Had some wet slushy stuff all day yesterday - brilliant sunshine, though chilly today, but all the slush is gone.

                                                    Horses are all MUDDY and wet. Yuck.

                                                    Cindy

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 6, 2009
                                                      After so many years of drought those conditions don't sound too bad!
                                                      Actually, we've had quite a bit of rain in the last few weeks (finally!) but we'have sand here, so it's not too bad.

                                                      Is your present wetness still part of the hurricane?

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                        The mud and the ground saturation is probably from the hurricane, but this last storm was just another storm.  Winter is so bleak and depressing to me - the worst is the wind.  The noise of the howling wind does terrible things to my soul, lol.

                                                        Last Thursday was a beautiful, sunny, fairly warm for the season day and my spirits just LIFT, and then all day Saturday it was gray, rainy, slushy, etc. and I had to fight all day to stay up.

                                                        Looking forward to April!

                                                        Cindy