New member here!

  • heather.sunderland
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hello there,

      I just joined a couple of days ago and thought I'd best say hi. I am
      Heather, a 28 year old Brit living in the north of Finland near the
      arctic circle. I just bought my first horse a couple of months ago -
      a 6 year old American warmblood trotter mare.

      I found Marv Walker's site after looking for some info on gaining some
      respect from my mare and although i'm yet to do the bonder - am yet to
      set up a round pen on our farm - I was impressed with his articles and
      stuff on the site and thought I'd join up here as well.

      So far, however, I'm finding it all a bit difficult to figure out and
      find anything on this yahoo group thingy. I don't suppose you've
      thought about using a forum instead of this groups thing, so that you
      can easily find and browse through old topics? i noticed another
      person just wrote a message about not being able to find an old topic
      on rain rot as well so it probably isn't just me who has this trouble.
      Forums are dead easy to set up and free to run. You can also make
      them private so only members ca see them like this groups thing is.

      Plus it saves you all the hassle of answering, what i'm sure are, the
      same questions over and over from new comers about the whole bonding
      thing etc - they can just look at old topics and all the replies.

      Just a thought from a "who the heck does she think she is" intruder in
      the group :)

      Heather.
    • Gordon
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi Heather and welcome from another expat Brit living 'next door' in Sweden, who is somewhat south of you and already feeling the cold a bit too much!

        <G> After the 'fun' I'm having with a British 'forum type group' I belong to "Aaaaah! Don't even mention it!" <G>

        I'm currently on a mobile broadband connection and that forum seems to be eating much more of my limited high-speed mobile connection than all of my groups with their emails do combined! :-(

        If you go to "messages" on the group's home page, every single message is there from 2006 when we moved to Yahoo and there is an archive of much older stuff; the address to which I keep losing, which is somewhere else (G-mail?)

        Write rain rot in advanced search  in yahoo messages and there are 146 emails where it is mentioned that come up in 0.771 seconds!

        Don't be too put off by the volume of mail here on none-horse subjects!<G>

         The political fighting on the list, which occurs every few years whenever our American Cousins have an election, does die down afterwards, ...-and for some funny reason they don't seem to want to follow my advice of begging forgiveness for their revolt, (and the waste of all that tea and the pollution it caused!!!) paying us compensation for the costs of that, ..-and the war of 1812, ... repaying the 'compensation' we were forced to pay them after The Alabama Incident and rejoining the British Empire! :-(

        I can't understand why, <VBG> but so it is, so if you have a horse question or problem do write *horse* or *help* or something in the title so that it can be seen!

        The Bonder is a marvellous tool that can be adapted for use in a lot of different situations and really works!

        "Plus it saves you all the hassle of answering, what i'm sure are, the
        same questions over and over from new comers about the whole bonding
        thing etc - they can just look at old topics and all the replies.
        "

        Just thinking about this. Even if one has read the old replies, it can still be worth asking the question!

        New research and new experiences lead to new ideas, so I think it is always worth asking!
        I think it is fair to say that we are all growing in knowledge and experience on a daily basis and so what we said a month ago may not be what we'd say today (except when it comes to our personal politics!<G>)

        Gordon, with two North Swedish Draughts, in Sweden

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi gordon,

          thanks for the navigation advice...now that i know how, I shall start
          to have a look around. Found it all very daunting and confusing at
          first.

          It's snowing here now - started yesterday and looks like the winter is
          truely setting it. Thank heavens! It might be cold but snow has got
          to be better than all then flippin' mud, any day of the week.

          good luck with the rain rot. We had it earlier this year in all ten
          of the horses being stabled at our farm. the owner didn't catch it in
          time and it turned really nasty and needed antibiotics from the vet in
          the end.

          --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordonsulley@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Heather and welcome from another expat Brit living 'next door' in
          Sweden, who is somewhat south of you and already feeling the cold a
          bit too much!

          > <G> After the 'fun' I'm having with a British 'forum type group' I
          belong to "Aaaaah! Don't even mention it!" <G>

          > I'm currently on a mobile broadband connection and that forum seems
          to be eating much more of my limited high-speed mobile connection than
          all of my groups with their emails do combined! :-(

          > If you go to "messages" on the group's home page, every single
          message is there from 2006 when we moved to Yahoo and there is an
          archive of much older stuff; the address to which I keep losing, which
          is somewhere else (G-mail?)

          > Write rain rot in advanced search in yahoo messages and there are
          146 emails where it is mentioned that come up in 0.771 seconds!

          > Don't be too put off by the volume of mail here on none-horse
          subjects!<G>

          > The political fighting on the list, which occurs every few years
          whenever our American Cousins have an election, does die down
          afterwards, ...-and for some funny reason they don't seem to want to
          follow my advice of begging forgiveness for their revolt, (and the
          waste of all that tea and the pollution it caused!!!) paying us
          compensation for the costs of that, ..-and the war of 1812, ...
          repaying the 'compensation' we were forced to pay them after The
          Alabama Incident and rejoining the British Empire! :-(

          > I can't understand why, <VBG> but so it is, so if you have a horse
          question or problem do write *horse* or *help* or something in the
          title so that it can be seen!

          > The Bonder is a marvellous tool that can be adapted for use in a lot
          of different situations and really works!

          > "Plus it saves you all the hassle of answering, what i'm sure are, the
          > same questions over and over from new comers about the whole bonding
          > thing etc - they can just look at old topics and all the replies."
          >
          > Just thinking about this. Even if one has read the old replies, it
          can still be worth asking the question!

          > New research and new experiences lead to new ideas, so I think it is
          always worth asking!
          > I think it is fair to say that we are all growing in knowledge and
          experience on a daily basis and so what we said a month ago may not be
          what we'd say today (except when it comes to our personal politics!<G>)

          > Gordon, with two North Swedish Draughts, in Sweden

        • Renee Start
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008

            welcome Heather!

            Marv's bonder is awesome..works great..i've used it on all 3 of my horses..some a few times more than others..as 2 of mine are young and need to be reminded more often who their boss is..

            nice to suggest the forum..do you belong to any others..?

            if you go to the site..you can search by topic..i think some people just like to post the question without researching..sometimes its just easier..

            you will see we discuss all sorts of topics here!

            lots of advice!

            once again, WELCOME!

            Renee

            upstate new york

            any pics of your horse?

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              Nice to meet you, Heather.    Sounds like your winters are a bit challenging!   Do you have your mare on your property or do you keep her somewhere?

              Tricia, who lives in NJ and is owned by five equines.

              Patricia Ann Harris

              wrote:

              > Hi Heather and welcome from another expat Brit living 'next door'
              in
              Sweden, who is somewhat south of you and already feeling the cold a
              bit too much!

              > <G> After the 'fun' I'm having with a British 'forum
              type group' I
              belong to "Aaaaah! Don't even mention it!" <G>

              > I'm currently on a mobile broadband connection and that forum seems
              to be eating much more of my limited high-speed mobile connection than
              all of my groups with their emails do combined! :-(

              > If you go to "messages" on the group's home page, every
              single
              message is there from 2006 when we moved to Yahoo and there is an
              archive of much older stuff; the address to which I keep losing, which
              is somewhere else (G-mail?)

              > Write rain rot in advanced search in yahoo messages and there are
              146 emails where it is mentioned that come up in 0.771 seconds!

              > Don't be too put off by the volume of mail here on none-horse
              subjects!<G>

              > The political fighting on the list, which occurs every few years
              whenever our American Cousins have an election, does die down
              afterwards, ...-and for some funny reason they don't seem to want to
              follow my advice of begging forgiveness for their revolt, (and the
              waste of all that tea and the pollution it caused!!!) paying us
              compensation for the costs of that, ..-and the war of 1812, ...
              repaying the 'compensation' we were forced to pay them after The
              Alabama Incident and rejoining the British Empire! :-(

              > I can't understand why, <VBG> but so it is, so if you have a
              horse
              question or problem do write *horse* or *help* or something in the
              title so that it can be seen!

              > The Bonder is a marvellous tool that can be adapted for use in a lot
              of different situations and really works!

              > "Plus it saves you all the hassle of answering, what i'm sure
              are, the
              > same questions over and over from new comers about the whole bonding
              > thing etc - they can just look at old topics and all the replies."
              >
              > Just thinking about this. Even if one has read the old replies, it
              can still be worth asking the question!

              > New research and new experiences lead to new ideas, so I think it is
              always worth asking!
              > I think it is fair to say that we are all growing in knowledge and
              experience on a daily basis and so what we said a month ago may not be
              what we'd say today (except when it comes to our personal
              politics!<G>)

              > Gordon, with two North Swedish Draughts, in Sweden

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:MarvWalkerHorses-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:MarvWalkerHorses-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • heather.sunderland
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                I keep her on our property. We live on a farm (used to raise beef
                cattle until last winter) and have converted the old barn into a
                stables.

                We also provide stabling for my friends gelding so she has some
                company. Not that they get along particularly well mind...

                --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Harris
                <pharris7700@...> wrote:

                > Nice to meet you, Heather.    Sounds like your winters are a bit
                challenging!   Do you have your mare on your property or do you keep
                her somewhere?

                > Tricia, who lives in NJ and is owned by five equines.
                >
                > Patricia Ann Harris

              • Elaine
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                  Hello all,

                  Long time lurker here coming out to ask a feeding question.  Due to the high price of hay this winter, it's been suggested that I feed a supplemental feeding of a mixture of corn, oats and alfalfa cubes, soaked.  I was told that 5 - 6 cups per horse, of this mixture, should cut their hay consumption by around half.  My question is, any truth to this?  Also, I had thought to just feed them a % of their body weight in hay per day.  They are now on 24/7 grassy/alfalfa round bales and all are in good body weight.  What % of body weight is ideal to maintain horses that are not working in the winter?

                  Thank you to any who have an input.

                  Elaine - NE Iowa
                • Kimberly Martin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                    Hi Elaine,

                    Oh, you asked a controversial question!!  You will get more input on HOW and WHAT to feed than you know what to do with!! :)  My husband and I run a small rescue in SE KS, and right at the moment, we will have 9 for the winter (probably more coming.... anyone need a Christmas pony? <g>).  A couple of years ago, we started gravitating away from grain supplements, mostly due to the number of horses with some sort of hoof problems.  At that time, I was learning to barefoot trim, and that whole movement is pretty much against bulk feeding of grain.  Now, my husband grew up raising TBs for polo, and was from the 'old school' philosophy that you HAD to give them a LOT of high protein feed, especially in the winter, or they would just waste away to nothing.

                    Last year was the first year that we went completely 'grainless' through the winter, and our Argentine TB was just unfashionably fat.  One thing that most of us on here will agree on is that corn is probably not a great choice for horses.... soaked oats and alfalfa are better.

                    Our hay comes in 900# square bales, about 45 20# flakes.  When it was warm(ish).... at least getting above freezing during the day, I fed about 1 flake per horse.  When it was extremely cold, raining, snowing, etc I put out a little more.  I guess that works out to about 1#/40# body weight (assuming an average 800# horse).  Now, that can't possibly be exact, because we were feeding drafts, QH, pregnant mares, yearlings, and a stray pony or two.  I have one draft colt with chronic insulin problems, and he had a tough time keeping weight on.... we pulled him out and fed him soaked alfalfa with a lot of wheat germ and soy oil in it, for pure fat (he's most likely mildly EPSM).  I would also occasionally dump a little oil on the flakes of hay.... if for no other reason, to make myself feel a little better about depriving them of grain (after all, they were already just on the verge of obese on Brome and Prairie Hay).

                    Throwing the big flakes is sort of a pain, but we had tried just putting the bales out one year, and I had a couple of horses who were just rude about spreading it all around, laying in it, peeing and pooping in it.... just generally wasting a lot of it, and they would even pull most of a round bale out of the ring to make a nest (draft horses are a pain).

                    Just one opinion, of what I am sure will be many to come!!

                    Good luck,

                    Kimberly

                    To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Hi Renee,

                      I don't belong to any forums any more but used to when my first born
                      was a baby for advice and such like. Second time round it's all so
                      much easier :)

                      I am starting to find this groups place a little easier but the
                      navigation is still a bit odd.

                      I do have some pictures of "Jelli" my mare. I guess they would go in
                      the folder marked "photos" on the left there <---- :) Will put some
                      up so you can see. she's very pretty - even if i do say so myself;)
                      Although having a few issues with her at the moment with fungus and a
                      cough. Vet coming out this week hopefuly.

                      --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, Renee Start <renee19651@...>
                      wrote:

                      > welcome Heather!
                      >
                      > Marv's bonder is awesome..works great..i've used it on all 3 of my
                      horses..some a few times more than others..as 2 of mine are young and
                      need to be reminded more often who their boss is..

                      > nice to suggest the forum..do you belong to any others..?
                      > if you go to the site..you can search by topic..i think some people
                      just like to post the question without researching..sometimes its just
                      easier..

                      > you will see we discuss all sorts of topics here!
                      >
                      > lots of advice!
                      >
                      > once again, WELCOME!
                      >
                      > Renee
                      > upstate new york
                      > any pics of your horse?

                    • equimatch
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
                        welcome to the group, heather...and jelli is very pretty!

                        you guys will enjoy it here...much more after the elections

                        ann

                               Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.   ~Matthew 5:8

                                         www.caringbridge.org/visit/ajfuller

                        wrote:

                        > welcome Heather!
                        >
                        > Marv's bonder is awesome..works great..i've used it on all 3 of my
                        horses..some a few times more than others..as 2 of mine are young and
                        need to be reminded more often who their boss is..

                        > nice to suggest the forum..do you belong to any others..?
                        > if you go to the site..you can search by topic..i think some people
                        just like to post the question without researching. .sometimes its just
                        easier..

                        > you will see we discuss all sorts of topics here!
                        >
                        > lots of advice!
                        >
                        > once again, WELCOME!
                        >
                        > Renee
                        > upstate new york
                        > any pics of your horse?

                      • Renee Start
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
                          just looked at the pic! pretty horse! attentive!

                          loves you...! for sure!

                          those frosty mornings at your house look familiar ..they are here now too!

                          renee

                          wrote:

                          > welcome Heather!
                          >
                          > Marv's bonder is awesome..works great..i've used it on all 3 of my
                          horses..some a few times more than others..as 2 of mine are young and
                          need to be reminded more often who their boss is..

                          > nice to suggest the forum..do you belong to any others..?
                          > if you go to the site..you can search by topic..i think some people
                          just like to post the question without researching. .sometimes its just
                          easier..

                          > you will see we discuss all sorts of topics here!
                          >
                          > lots of advice!
                          >
                          > once again, WELCOME!
                          >
                          > Renee
                          > upstate new york
                          > any pics of your horse?

                        • Jill
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008

                            Are the photos on the yahoo site? Guess I’ll go chek.

                            wrote:

                            > welcome Heather!
                            >
                            > Marv's bonder is awesome..works great..i've used it on all 3 of my
                            horses..some a few times more than others..as 2 of mine are young and
                            need to be reminded more often who their boss is..

                            > nice to suggest the forum..do you belong to any others..?
                            > if you go to the site..you can search by topic..i think some people
                            just like to post the question without researching. .sometimes its just
                            easier..

                            > you will see we discuss all sorts of topics here!
                            >
                            > lots of advice!
                            >
                            > once again, WELCOME!
                            >
                            > Renee
                            > upstate new york
                            > any pics of your horse?

                            yahoogroups. com
                            > Sent: Saturday, November 1, 2008 5:02:26 AM
                            > Subject: [MarvWalkerHorses] New member here!
                            >

                            > Hello there,
                            >
                            > I just joined a couple of days ago and thought I'd best say hi. I am
                            > Heather, a 28 year old Brit living in the north of Finland near the
                            > arctic circle. I just bought my first horse a couple of months ago -
                            > a 6 year old American warmblood trotter mare.
                            >
                            > I found Marv Walker's site after looking for some info on gaining some
                            > respect from my mare and although i'm yet to do the bonder - am yet to
                            > set up a round pen on our farm - I was impressed with his articles and
                            > stuff on the site and thought I'd join up here as well.
                            >
                            > So far, however, I'm finding it all a bit difficult to figure out and
                            > find anything on this yahoo group thingy. I don't suppose you've
                            > thought about using a forum instead of this groups thing, so that you
                            > can easily find and browse through old topics? i noticed another
                            > person just wrote a message about not being able to find an old topic
                            > on rain rot as well so it probably isn't just me who has this trouble.
                            > Forums are dead easy to set up and free to run. You can also make
                            > them private so only members ca see them like this groups thing is.
                            >
                            > Plus it saves you all the hassle of answering, what i'm sure are, the
                            > same questions over and over from new comers about the whole bonding
                            > thing etc - they can just look at old topics and all the replies.
                            >
                            > Just a thought from a "who the heck does she think she is"
                            intruder in
                            > the group :)
                            >
                            > Heather.

                          • heather.sunderland
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
                              she is a looker, that's for sure. As for the loves me part...umm...
                              Not really, but we're working on it. At the moment I'd say she is
                              mosty indifferent with mild peaks of interest around feeding, grooming
                              and tacking up times...

                              The weather is much colder now with about 20cms of snow on the
                              ground... much nicer than all that mud we had before.