Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Re: Bridling Problems

  • kd4nvd
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      I also have a gelding that is afraid of leather...saddle
      too...synthetic is ok...but not leather anything...he was abused in a
      past life..has lots of scars but most of them are mental...time and
      trust has made it better but it is still there...also will let me
      saddle him from the right but not the left...once in a while he will
      offer the left side ...he is trying SO hard....

      >his neck; needless to say it frightened him badly.
      >He has no problem with a nylon halter; but today I clipped two leather
      >reins onto it; he was OK until he discovered they were leather. then he
      >went totally off the wall and ran into his stall where he feels safest.
      >He did not fight me and let me remove them but he was just shaking!
      >Sounds kinda crazy but could the leather halter break have him
      >frightend of leather? I have enough nylon halter pieces and rope lying
      >around to rig up a nylon bridle if I can't buy one.

      Cherie
      Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the
      morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"
    • Jessica Evans
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008

        Dr. Cook makes a nylon bitless bridle.

        Thanx Cindy. Question, am I ascribing anthropomorphic intelligence to
        my Stud? Can they tell difference between leather and nylon? I have had
        no problems throwing blankets, whatever on him or over his head or even
        putting my ball cap between his ears.
        Shortly after I started doing Marv's Bonder session, I was using a
        leather halter--it broke at the nosepiece and fell down tight around
        his neck; needless to say it frightened him badly.
        He has no problem with a nylon halter; but today I clipped two leather
        reins onto it; he was OK until he discovered they were leather. then he
        went totally off the wall and ran into his stall where he feels safest.
        He did not fight me and let me remove them but he was just shaking!
        Sounds kinda crazy but could the leather halter break have him
        frightend of leather? I have enough nylon halter pieces and rope lying
        around to rig up a nylon bridle if I can't buy one.
        Hate to break into the great debate going between you Democrats and
        Republicans(You Go Girls!!)but could you maybe let me know what y'all
        think? THANX Ray

      • JDJones
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
          Ray, if you Google "biothane tack," you can find a lot of sources of
          synthetic tack of all kinds. Bio is more durable and easier to clean than
          nylon webbing, and the smooth surface might be a bonus for your horse.

          JanisCJ

          > Thanx Cindy. Question, am I ascribing anthropomorphic intelligence to
          > my Stud? Can they tell difference between leather and nylon? I have had
          > no problems throwing blankets, whatever on him or over his head or even
          > putting my ball cap between his ears.
          > Shortly after I started doing Marv's Bonder session, I was using a
          > leather halter--it broke at the nosepiece and fell down tight around
          > his neck; needless to say it frightened him badly.
          > He has no problem with a nylon halter; but today I clipped two leather
          > reins onto it; he was OK until he discovered they were leather. then he
          > went totally off the wall and ran into his stall where he feels safest.
          > He did not fight me and let me remove them but he was just shaking!
          > Sounds kinda crazy but could the leather halter break have him
          > frightend of leather? I have enough nylon halter pieces and rope lying
          > around to rig up a nylon bridle if I can't buy one.
          > Hate to break into the great debate going between you Democrats and
          > Republicans(You Go Girls!!)but could you maybe let me know what y'all
          > think? THANX Ray

        • RHONDA LEVINSON
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
            www.endurance.net has a lot of venders listed and most of the tack stores have biothane and zilco tack listed.  Distance riders almost never use leather headstalls.  I particularly like the Canadian one and Long Rider's Gear.  There's one lady who is a lot less expensive, and I'm trying to remember her store's website.  If I remember, I'll list it also.

            Rhonda

            To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com

            > Thanx Cindy. Question, am I ascribing anthropomorphic intelligence to
            > my Stud? Can they tell difference between leather and nylon? I have had
            > no problems throwing blankets, whatever on him or over his head or even
            > putting my ball cap between his ears.
            > Shortly after I started doing Marv's Bonder session, I was using a
            > leather halter--it broke at the nosepiece and fell down tight around
            > his neck; needless to say it frightened him badly.
            > He has no problem with a nylon halter; but today I clipped two leather
            > reins onto it; he was OK until he discovered they were leather. then he
            > went totally off the wall and ran into his stall where he feels safest.
            > He did not fight me and let me remove them but he was just shaking!
            > Sounds kinda crazy but could the leather halter break have him
            > frightend of leather? I have enough nylon halter pieces and rope lying
            > around to rig up a nylon bridle if I can't buy one.
            > Hate to break into the great debate going between you Democrats and
            > Republicans( You Go Girls!!)but could you maybe let me know what y'all
            > think? THANX Ray

          • JDJones
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
              Most harness makers also make riding bridles and sidepulls in the synthetics.  The Amish have mostly gone to Bio as well for their own use and to sell in their harness shops.  Lots of folks have even made a cottage industry job of making custom bridles in Bio.  It probably pays to check in your own neighborhood and circle of horsey friends in case anyone has a good deal locally.  I love the many colors and how most people match them to their horses.  One of our local trail pals got his made in colors of his favorite football team. :)

              JanisCJ

              To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com

              !
            • JerseyMom5@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                Ray - I have truly NEVER in my life heard of a horse that was either allergic to or afraid of "leather".....that one has me totally stumped.

                I guess it's possible......my standardbred was so head shy I have to think he may have been hit on the head with a whip or something - but it had nothing to do with leather.

                Hmmmmmm.  I guess you could go with all things nylon or synthetic.  But I'd probably try and sack him out or do the bonder thing with everything leather you can think of.

                I'm behind on my posts - so this has probably already been answered.

                Cindy