Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Re: STIFF-LEGGED HORSE/ADVICE NEEDED

  • nancy
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2006
      HI,
      Feel his feet!!! If he is lamintic his feet will be hot.  Has he gotten into any feed?  Has he eaten any rich hay?? have you checked you feed for mold or being musty??  Is he putting his all his weight on the hind end with his front feet strechted out??  Pounding digital pulse in the feet or the the fetlock joint.   Tying up is completey different than lamintis and usually will only last a couple of hours.  Usually but not always.  Signs of tying up are.  Excessive sweating, muscle tightness in the hind end, they will not take a founder stance.  Brown colored urine.  Real bad tying up the horse will have 2 fist sized lumps on the hindquarters.  Horse will not move very far.  Send pictures, but check those feet.  You need to act now, if the feet are hot cold hose them.  Nancy
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Nancy,
        good description, but my laminitic gets founder in hinds before fore feet and sweats under his belly and neck, hence I thought tying up when he had his first acute attack. Romany did not assume the easily recognised stance and was stiff throughout his lumbar region.
        Good news is laminitis does not have to be life threatening and even severe cases can be treated with good hoof care and a careful eye on future diet as well as exercise.
        Well worth taking note of everything you mention, I just want Rocio to keep an open mind with diagnosis because of my pony, they just do not all fit the text books, then I guess we are all a little different.
        Good hot bran mash will do no harm whichever condition and may help clean the gut. Probiotics or a good natural yogurt may help settle the tummy down again.
        Laminitis is a problem with the gut which eventually shows in painful feet.
        Hope the horsey is making progress.
        Love Susie xx

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MarvWalker Horses/

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MarvWalker Horses/join
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:MarvWalkerHo rses-digest@ yahoogroups. com
            mailto:MarvWalkerHo rses-fullfeature d@yahoogroups. com

            http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        "If you love something, set it free, if it comes back to you it's yours, if it does n't, it was never meant to be." Richard Bach

      • nancy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
          Hi Susie,
          I just threw out a check list of all the things I could think of, as stiff legged was very vague. I do believe that hot feet are real indicative of lamintis no matter what the cause.  Our horses had laminitis from the grass, so for them it was a metabolic issue.    Nancy

          wrote:

          > > He really needs a vet any way you can.  There are a number
          > of possibilities and some of them aren't good.
          >
          > My first inclination is founder but then I am not a vet.
          >
          > Marv "Even if I do pretend to be one." Walker

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MarvWalker Horses/

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/MarvWalker Horses/join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:MarvWalkerHo rses-digest@ yahoogroups. com
              mailto:MarvWalkerHo rses-fullfeature d@yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          "If you love something, set it free, if it comes back to you it's yours, if it does n't, it was never meant to be." Richard Bach
          http://www.photos.yahoo.com/susie_piepony

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.