Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Going to auction vs. euthanasia

  • Alexis Geiger
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2008
      If you are closer to Westerny NY I would take him..  My youngest daughter isn't quite enough for the pony we have now but the older daughter is..  (5 and 8)

      ~~___(\
      .../< >\

      A Dog looks up to a man,
      A cat looks down on a man,
      But a patient horse looks a man in the eye and sees him as an equal.

      From: rhndlev@msn. com
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:12:14 -0500

      Hey I have a dilemna.  I leased a pony about three or four years ago for my daughter.  I agreed with the owner that she would drive him to K-State vet school to get his Coggins and I would pick him up there because it was a half-way point for us.  When I arrived to pick up the horse, the vet tech told me the owner had dropped him off and said I could have him -- she didn't want him any more.  Crud.  I really didn't need another horse.  Also, by the way, he's not 12ish like she said, he's somewhere around 20ish.  Double Crud.  But, he's absolutely cute as a bug, 13.2 hh so I can ride him, and he's my favorite color (buckskin), so I go ahead and take him home because the other option is just to sign him over to K-State as an experimental animal and I don't want to do that.

      So, we get him home and he DOES NOT like trail riding, which is what my daughter wants to do.  He likes the arena.  So, I found a 4-H home for him and off he went.  For the last three or four years, he has tooled this lady's grandkids around the ring in EVERY event, as well as being the stand-by mount for every kid who wanted to try a horse event.  Now, however, the woman says he's getting tired by the end of the shows and won't go, so they don't want him anymore.  Bear in mind, he's now 23ish or so and they DON'T condition him in between shows or give him supplements of any kind, but no one in the 4-H group wants him now because he's tired after competing in 10 events.

      The woman wants me to take the pony back now.  I have ten horses, half of whom are over 20, not rideable and have special needs.  I cannot afford another mouth to feed.  She claims she's tried and tried and cannot get another to take him.  If she takes him to auction, I'm fairly certain he will go to slaughter, particularly if she's honest about his age.

      I'm considering taking him back and just euthanasizing him so I know he does not suffer and isn't terrified.  However, there's nothing WRONG with him that a little conditioning wouldn't cure.  He's still fine for a young rider, but I don't know anyone who wants him.  Am I a horrible person to consider this option?  My husband thinks so.  There's nowhere to send the little guy, apparently, and I don't want him to end up in a slaughter house.  Anyone need a really cute, elderly, buckskin pony with slight allergies?

      Rhonda

    • revdavekeith@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2008
        Rhonda,

        I'm sure there is someone on this list who he'd be perfect for.  Heck, if you were closer to me, I'd grab him for Lisa Kalp's kids.  He sounds like he'd be wonderful for them to ride around the pens with and be safe on.  I just can't afford the shipping right now....otherwise, like I said, I'd take him.

        Dawn

        In a message dated 4/30/2008 9:34:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time, cdy@... writes:
        Put up a sign and let people know you have him.  At some point, someone will take him again.  In our case, Bailey spends maybe 3 months with us at the longest, and the last time he was out for 3 years and would have been out longer if the woman who had him hadn’t discovered she had a hole in her heart.

      • RHONDA LEVINSON
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2008
          He does neck rein.  I had not thought of theraputic riding barns.  I'll check that out.

          As for just taking him for a little while, I cannot do that if I want to stay married.  My husband has said absolutely, positively no more horses.  We may have to go get back the half-Arabian filly that we bred, that I mentioned a little while ago had ended up at an auction despite my "right of first refusal" and written offer to buy back the filly if she didn't work out.  That filly will make 11 and that is about seven more horses than he thinks we ought to have.

          Rhonda

          To: marvwalkerhorses@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2008
            We're near Kansas City.  Probably a bit far to get him to Wisconsin.

            Rhonda

            To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
            From: ghost819@...
            Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:38:17 -0500

            Id take him 9in heart beat if you were close.....Where are you?? I'm in Wisconsin. Kim

            Message 5 of 26 , May 1, 2008
              That is a great idea.  I'll check that out.

              Rhonda

              To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
              From: equimatch@...
              Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:10:32 -0700

              seriously, that is an awesome idea!!!

              make a wish gets all sorts of requests like this...and it's hard to find that perfect horse/pony, who can as safely as possible carry a child/teen who's fighting or coming back from the fight!

              ann

              JDJones <jdjones@bright. net> wrote:
              No, you aren't horrible.

              I wonder if he would make a good beginner mount for a mature adult who is new to horses, rather than a kids' mount.  His smaller stature, quiet nature, and deep experience sound like a good match for someone just starting, and his color would make him a nifty "my little pony" for some "little girl" who never got that dream pony she can now afford in time and resources.  Buckskin and palomino are the colors I see named most often in that kind of search.  One challenge of placing a guy like that is that the new owner might feel they would get close to him and then lose him to death or aging, even though a good ol' horse can have so many good years left.  A young one can get colic or injured or whatever, too, of course, but try telling potential owners that.

              You might check with Make A Wish to see if anyone is wishing for a quiet pony.  There is now at least one similar organization for adults, too, but I don't know its name or location, just heard it mentioned on the radio one day.

              Good luck,
              JanisCJ
[...]

                     Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.   ~Matthew 5:8

                               www.caringbridge. org/visit/ ajfuller

            • Kimberly Martin
              Message 6 of 26 , May 1, 2008
                Whatever you want to do, but I did some checking and if this guy is healthy, my friend Erika would love to have him for a lesson pony.  She lives near Wichita, and we are in Cowley County.  If it didn't work out with her for some reason, he would NOT go to auction, but would come back to our farm unless/until another child rider could be found for him.

                Let me know if you are interested.  You can mesg me privately on this, if you prefer.  Thanks,

                Kimberly

                To: marvwalkerhorses@yahoogroups.com
                From: rhndlev@...
                Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 11:00:33 -0500

                To: marvwalkerhorses@ yahoogroups. com

                From: rhndlev@msn. com
                Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:12:14 -0500

[...]

                Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.
              • Beth Ball
                Message 7 of 26 , May 1, 2008
                  OMG, let me ask my husband!  I live about 2 1/2 hours from you.  He would be perfect for my niece and nephew!!

                  Beth in Kansas

                  To: MarvWalkerHorses@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: ghost819@frontierne t.net
                  Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:38:17 -0500

[...]

                  "The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
                  An Arabian proverb
                • Heather Bauer
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1, 2008

                    We are in NE Oklahoma, about 4 hours from KC and could use a quiet pony around.  If nobody closer can help, we may be able to meet in the middle?

                    Heather

                  • Amy Collier
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1, 2008

                      I’ve been looking for a kid horse, but my trailer wouldn’t make it to KS.

                      KikkaSig1

                      To: marvwalkerhorses@yahoogroups.com

                      From: rhndlev@...
                      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:12:14 -0500

[...]

                      &n bsp;
                      I'm considering taking him back and just euthanasizing him so I know he does not suffer and isn't terrified.  However, there's nothing WRONG with him that a little conditioning wouldn't cure.  He's still fine for a young rider, but I don't know anyone who wants him.  Am I a horrible person to consider this option?  My husband thinks so.  There's nowhere to send the little guy, apparently, and I don't want him to end up in a slaughter house.  Anyone need a really cute, elderly, buckskin pony with slight allergies?

                      Rhonda

                    • Ghostrider65
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 1, 2008
                        Yah just a tad farther than I want to be driving just now with Gas at 3.66 a gallon here. And I heard some places are over 4.00 bucks. You will find a great place for him there is a little girl out there just waiting for that cute little guy. The riding school is a grand Idea, also look at your local  trainers who give lessons around here  great starter ponies are a lost commodity, no one has a good one, for the little ones just learning. Sure wish Kansas wasn't quite so far, Good luck in your quest though. Kim/GR

                        To: MarvWalkerHorses@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: ghost819@frontierne t.net
                        Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:38:17 -0500

                        Id take him 9in heart beat if you were close.....Where are you?? I'm in Wisconsin. Kim

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 1, 2008
                          Rhonda,
                          I suggest Winding River Girl Scout Camp close to Cameron, MO (Buchanan County, I think).  They take horses occasionally and they stay there pretty much for life.

                          Keith
                          Belton MO

                          To: MarvWalkerHorses@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: equimatch@yahoo. com
                          Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:10:32 -0700

                          .

                        • rosin69@localnet.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 2, 2008
                            Hi Rhonda,

                            I'm about an hours south of you in KS. I could check with the Franklin
                            County 4H leader and see if anyone is interested in your pony ........
                            or could give you her number as my kids will be at her place tonight
                            working in the barn in exchange for lessons.

                            We have 3 horses, and although I would LOVE to have a pony for my
                            youngest, with the cost of hay and feed, I don't think we could swing
                            another.

                            Sandy in KS

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 2, 2008
                              I appreciate all of the offers of help and suggestions for the pony.  The status currently is that the owner before me (the one who dumped him at K-State) has said that she will take him back.  A mutual friend has been giving her guilt trips since she left the horse at K-State and she says that she really thought I wanted the pony and never really meant to just abandon him to whatever his fate would be.  So, she feels badly and wants him back.  That's the current situation and I'll let everyone know if it changes.

                              Thank you all again!

                              Rhonda

                              To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
                              From: rosin69@...
                              Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:01:20 -0400

                              Quoting RHONDA LEVINSON <rhndlev@msn. com>:

                              > Hey I have a dilemna. I leased a pony about three or four years ago
                              > for my daughter. I agreed with the owner that she would drive him to
                              > K-State vet school to get his Coggins and I would pick him up there
                              > because it was a half-way point for us. When I arrived to pick up
                              > the horse, the vet tech told me the owner had dropped him off and
                              > said I could have him -- she didn't want him any more. Crud. I
                              > really didn't need another horse. Also, by the way, he's not 12ish
                              > like she said, he's somewhere around 20ish. Double Crud. But, he's
                              > absolutely cute as a bug, 13.2 hh so I can ride him, and he's my
                              > favorite color (buckskin), so I go ahead and take him home because
                              > the other option is just to sign him over to K-State as an
                              > experimental animal and I don't want to do that.

                            • Gordon
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 2, 2008
                                Can you believe either of them? Especially the one who dumped him?

                                Gordon.
                                I appreciate all of the offers of help and suggestions for the pony.  The status currently is that the owner before me (the one who dumped him at K-State) has said that she will take him back.  A mutual friend has been giving her guilt trips since she left the horse at K-State and she says that she really thought I wanted the pony and never really meant to just abandon him to whatever his fate would be.  So, she feels badly and wants him back.  That's the current situation and I'll let everyone know if it changes.

                                Thank you all again!

                                Rhonda
                              • equimatch
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 2, 2008
                                  i wondered that too...

                                  ann

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 2, 2008
                                    I've been thinking about this quite a bit.  If I can manage it, I'm going to see if we can still get the pony to Kimberly or Dawn.  Kimberly has a friend who has said that she would like him as a lesson pony, and if he didn't work out there, Kimberly could take him back and keep him until another home could be found.  Or Dawn said that she might want him for Lisa's children.

                                    I left a message for the previous owner asking if she *really* wants him or just feels guilty because I have two amazing potential homes.  I'm waiting to hear back from her.

                                    Rhonda

                                    To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: gordonsulley@...
                                    Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 19:44:23 +0200
                                    Subject: Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] update on pony

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 2, 2008
                                      "I left a message for the previous owner asking if she *really* wants him or just feels guilty because I have two amazing potential homes.  I'm waiting to hear back from her.  "

                                      OR, evil thought, does she smell money and a possible sale? As in "If THEY are interested, can somebody else be interested?"

                                      Gordon, whose trust level and belief in people is not as high as it used to be!

                                      To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: gordonsulley@...
                                      Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 19:44:23 +0200

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 20, 2008
                                        Kimberly, after much dilly dallying and yanking of my chain, the pony's current owner has finally decided that she wants to go ahead and place the pony outside of our area.  [She was trying to say that she only wanted a local home for the pony and wanted me to be responsible for him even though she's had him for the past several years.]  So, is your friend still interested?  If not, I'll check with Lisa, who said she might want him for her children.

                                        Rhonda

                                        To: marvwalkerhorses@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: krenay76@...
                                        Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:50:35 -0500