Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] hay prices and whining (yours and mine)

  • Alison Hiltabidle
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006
      I can't see how horses could colic on BOSS. I've fed them for years
      with no problems. That and flax seed. Keeps 'em fat and shiny!

      I just feed a cup once a day in their feed.

      Becky wrote:
      > We have beet pulp here. I have not tried feeding it yet. So far not
      > needed.
      > I feed a locally made supplement that is high in protien. That goes in
      > with the alfalfa pellets.
      > How do you feed black oil sunflower seeds? The vet up here says they
      > are for the birds - literally. He's had horses colic on them. Not
      > worth what little oil they provide, he says.
      > Bex
      >
      > */Cynthia Eliason <cde@...>/* wrote:
      >
      > On Thursday 30 November 2006 3:31 pm, Becky wrote:
      > > What hay IS available is nearly straw, it is so stemmmy. We've
      > had below
      > > zero weather for 4 weeks now (like TWENTY below) and we don't
      > usually get a
      > > cold snap until January. Our horses are miserable, and losing
      > weight. They
      > > look forward to a warm mash of alfalfa pellets at mealtime. They get
      > > vitamins and oil, to help keep thier weight. Blankets are a
      > must. Plus
      > > thier coats are like wooly mammoths.
      >
      > Can you get beet pulp? That really seems to help. And it needs
      > soaking,
      > so it'll be an extra warm mash for them to enjoy. I've been trying a
      > supplement that also seems to help horses put on weight, it's made by
      > Nutrena, called Empower. Has rice bran and flax seed. 22% fat,
      > mine were
      > getting a cup or so per day but they were getting too fat so I
      > stopped! It
      > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like spring!)
      >

      > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
      > --
      > Cindy Eliason
      > Whitefield, NH
      >
      > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow up to
      > LOOK like
      > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
      > -Kanga
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Don
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006
        Good Morning Alison/Bex,
        I have fed BOSS with great success. I had a brood mare that got sort of
        ribby while she had a foal on her. I fed a large coffee mug full of BOSS AM
        and PM and she loved them. Then I put all twelve horses on them and they did
        end up slick and shiny. I paid about twelve dollars for fifty pound bag at
        Tractor Supply. The horses began eating them immediately and I could see
        improvement in all their coats.
        I found them to be cost effective because a fifty pound bag would fill up
        four five gallon buckets. The BOSS can have as much as 60 percent fat. The
        striped ones don't have quite as much fat but they are good too. I did not
        buy the one's that had any kind of additives in them, just the plain old
        sunflour seed. Wal-Mart had them cheap but with additives but I went back to
        TSC and other feed stores. They worked great for me. I'm glad this came up
        because I bought a beautiful TWH last weekend and she has a dull coat. I
        shall have a bag of BOSS by the end of the day. A side note: I cannot
        believe this; December 01, and it is 67.3 degrees outside at 6:20 AM. Have a
        great day.
        Don in NC

        >I can't see how horses could colic on BOSS. I've fed them for years
        > with no problems. That and flax seed. Keeps 'em fat and shiny!
        >
        > I just feed a cup once a day in their feed.
        >
        > Becky wrote:
        >> We have beet pulp here. I have not tried feeding it yet. So far not
        >> needed.
        >> I feed a locally made supplement that is high in protien. That goes in
        >> with the alfalfa pellets.
        >> How do you feed black oil sunflower seeds? The vet up here says they
        >> are for the birds - literally. He's had horses colic on them. Not
        >> worth what little oil they provide, he says.
        >> Bex
        >>
        >> */Cynthia Eliason <cde@...>/* wrote:
        >>
        >> On Thursday 30 November 2006 3:31 pm, Becky wrote:
        >> > What hay IS available is nearly straw, it is so stemmmy. We've
        >> had below
        >> > zero weather for 4 weeks now (like TWENTY below) and we don't
        >> usually get a
        >> > cold snap until January. Our horses are miserable, and losing
        >> weight. They
        >> > look forward to a warm mash of alfalfa pellets at mealtime. They
        >> get
        >> > vitamins and oil, to help keep thier weight. Blankets are a
        >> must. Plus
        >> > thier coats are like wooly mammoths.
        >>
        >> Can you get beet pulp? That really seems to help. And it needs
        >> soaking,
        >> so it'll be an extra warm mash for them to enjoy. I've been trying a
        >> supplement that also seems to help horses put on weight, it's made by
        >> Nutrena, called Empower. Has rice bran and flax seed. 22% fat,
        >> mine were
        >> getting a cup or so per day but they were getting too fat so I
        >> stopped! It
        >> isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like spring!)
        >>

        >> Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
        >> --
        >> Cindy Eliason
        >> Whitefield, NH
        >>
        >> "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow up to
        >> LOOK like
        >> Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
        >> -Kanga
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        >> 11/30/2006 3:41 PM
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • monami11
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006
          There have probably been cases where horses colicked after eating
          BOSS, but I doubt it had anything to do with the BOSS, unless
          someone gave them too much. There are horses that have colicked on
          carrots, beet pulp, apple treats, and even fresh, green hay.
          Amy

          --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, Alison Hiltabidle
          <ahiltabidle@...> wrote:

          > I can't see how horses could colic on BOSS. I've fed them for
          years
          > with no problems. That and flax seed. Keeps 'em fat and shiny!
          >
          > I just feed a cup once a day in their feed.
          >
          > Becky wrote:
          > > We have beet pulp here. I have not tried feeding it yet. So far
          not
          > > needed.
          > > I feed a locally made supplement that is high in protien. That
          goes in
          > > with the alfalfa pellets.
          > > How do you feed black oil sunflower seeds? The vet up here says
          they
          > > are for the birds - literally. He's had horses colic on them.
          Not
          > > worth what little oil they provide, he says.
          > > Bex
          > >
          > > */Cynthia Eliason <cde@...>/* wrote:
          > >
          > > On Thursday 30 November 2006 3:31 pm, Becky wrote:
          > > > What hay IS available is nearly straw, it is so stemmmy.
          We've
          > > had below
          > > > zero weather for 4 weeks now (like TWENTY below) and we
          don't
          > > usually get a
          > > > cold snap until January. Our horses are miserable, and
          losing
          > > weight. They
          > > > look forward to a warm mash of alfalfa pellets at
          mealtime. They get
          > > > vitamins and oil, to help keep thier weight. Blankets are a
          > > must. Plus
          > > > thier coats are like wooly mammoths.
          > >
          > > Can you get beet pulp? That really seems to help. And it
          needs
          > > soaking,
          > > so it'll be an extra warm mash for them to enjoy. I've been
          trying a
          > > supplement that also seems to help horses put on weight,
          it's made by
          > > Nutrena, called Empower. Has rice bran and flax seed. 22%
          fat,
          > > mine were
          > > getting a cup or so per day but they were getting too fat so
          > > stopped! It
          > > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like
          spring!)

          > > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
          > > --
          > > Cindy Eliason
          > > Whitefield, NH
          > >
          > > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow
          up to
          > > LOOK like
          > > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
          > > -Kanga
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          -------
          > > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta

          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43257/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.co
          m/mailbeta>
          > > - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

          11/30/2006 3:41 PM

        • Lisa Hammond
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006

            We just had a three-year-old eat fresh alfalfa hay and go into a severe colic…the vet said that sometimes in young horses the intestine will somehow retract into itself and without immediate surgery, the horse is lost.  Unfortunately, we were two hours out of Columbus and it was the day of the big game and the vet hospital said that we’d never make it through the traffic because Ohio State was basically closed down for the big game.  She had to be euthanized.

            So….yes, colic can happen for reasons totally removed from what they just ingested.

            Lisa

            <ahiltabidle@ ...> wrote:

            > I can't see how horses could colic on BOSS. I've fed them for
            years
            > with no problems. That and flax seed. Keeps 'em fat and shiny!
            >
            > I just feed a cup once a day in their feed.
            >
            > Becky wrote:
            > > We have beet pulp here. I have not tried feeding it yet. So far
            not
            > > needed.
            > > I feed a locally made supplement that is high in protien. That
            goes in
            > > with the alfalfa pellets.
            > > How do you feed black oil sunflower seeds? The vet up here says
            they
            > > are for the birds - literally. He's had horses colic on them.
            Not
            > > worth what little oil they provide, he says.
            > > Bex
            > >
            > > */Cynthia Eliason <cde@...>/* wrote:
            > >
            > > On Thursday 30 November 2006 3:31 pm, Becky wrote:
            > > > What hay IS available is nearly straw, it is so stemmmy.
            We've
            > > had below
            > > > zero weather for 4 weeks now (like TWENTY below) and we
            don't
            > > usually get a
            > > > cold snap until January. Our horses are miserable, and
            losing
            > > weight. They
            > > > look forward to a warm mash of alfalfa pellets at
            mealtime. They get
            > > > vitamins and oil, to help keep thier weight. Blankets are a
            > > must. Plus
            > > > thier coats are like wooly mammoths.
            > >
            > > Can you get beet pulp? That really seems to help. And it
            needs
            > > soaking,
            > > so it'll be an extra warm mash for them to enjoy. I've been
            trying a
            > > supplement that also seems to help horses put on weight,
            it's made by
            > > Nutrena, called Empower. Has rice bran and flax seed. 22%
            fat,
            > > mine were
            > > getting a cup or so per day but they were getting too fat so
            > > stopped! It
            > > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like
            spring!)

            > > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
            > > --
            > > Cindy Eliason
            > > Whitefield ,
            w:st="on">NH

            > > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow
            up to
            > > LOOK like
            > > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
            > > -Kanga
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            -------
            > > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta

            <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=43257/ *http://advision .webevents. yahoo.co
            m/mailbeta>
            > > - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

            -------

            > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            11/30/2006 3:41 PM

          • Don
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006
              Amy,
              Bottom Line, I guess a horse could get a belly ache from anything and most
              of the time, we don't know what it is.
              Have a great day.
              Don
> [...]
              >> > stopped! It
              >> > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like
              > spring!)
              >> >

              >> > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
              >> > --
              >> > Cindy Eliason
              >> > Whitefield, NH
              >> >
              >> > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow
              > up to
              >> > LOOK like
              >> > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
              >> > -Kanga
              >> >

              >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >> >

              >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------
              > -------
              >> > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
              >> >
              > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43257/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.co
              > m/mailbeta>
              >> > - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

            • borderbratz
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006
                Bex,

                BOSS is a great suppliment and it's not the amount of potential
                extruded oil your horse gets that is so important. BOSS is high in
                good fats and does wonders for coat.

                Like any new food you give your horse, you don't start out with the
                full serving because any major change in diet can cause colic.

                I start horses on BOSS by feeding 1/4 cup and working up to 1 cup
                over a month's time. I mix it in grain or complete feed or anything
                I might soak for them. My smaller horses do fine on 1/2 to 3/4 cup
                per day.

                Annette

                --- In MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com, Becky <denalicnor@...>
                wrote:

                > We have beet pulp here. I have not tried feeding it yet. So far
                not needed.
                > I feed a locally made supplement that is high in protien. That
                goes in with the alfalfa pellets.
                > How do you feed black oil sunflower seeds? The vet up here says
                they are for the birds - literally. He's had horses colic on them.
                Not worth what little oil they provide, he says.
                > Bex
                >
                > Cynthia Eliason <cde@...> wrote:
                > On Thursday 30 November 2006 3:31 pm, Becky wrote:
                > > What hay IS available is nearly straw, it is so stemmmy. We've
                had below
                > > zero weather for 4 weeks now (like TWENTY below) and we don't
                usually get a
                > > cold snap until January. Our horses are miserable, and losing
                weight. They
                > > look forward to a warm mash of alfalfa pellets at mealtime. They
                get
                > > vitamins and oil, to help keep thier weight. Blankets are a
                must. Plus
                > > thier coats are like wooly mammoths.
                >
                > Can you get beet pulp? That really seems to help. And it needs
                soaking,
                > so it'll be an extra warm mash for them to enjoy. I've been trying
                > supplement that also seems to help horses put on weight, it's made
                by
                > Nutrena, called Empower. Has rice bran and flax seed. 22% fat,
                mine were
                > getting a cup or so per day but they were getting too fat so I
                stopped! It
                > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like
                spring!)

                > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
                > --
                > Cindy Eliason
                > Whitefield, NH
                >
                > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow up to
                LOOK like
                > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
                > -Kanga
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful
                email and get things done faster.

              • NANCY NYGAARD

> [...]
                  >> > stopped! It
                  >> > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like
                  > spring!)
                  >> >

                  >> > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
                  >> > --
                  >> > Cindy Eliason
                  >> > Whitefield, NH
                  >> >
                  >> > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow
                  > up to
                  >> > LOOK like
                  >> > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
                  >> > -Kanga
                  >> >

                  >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >> >

                  >> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
                  > -------
                  >> > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
                  >> >
                  > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=43257/ *http://advision .webevents. yahoo.co
                  > m/mailbeta>
                  >> > - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

                • Charles
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2006
                    I was once told by our vet that a study showed that changes in air pressure made horses colic as much as any other cause they could find.

                    Basically, it just happens.

                    Charles

> [...]
                    >> > stopped! It
                    >> > isn't very cold here yet. (Unusual weather, today felt like
                    > spring!)
                    >> >

                    >> > Black Oil Sunflower seeds are another good fat supplement.
                    >> > --
                    >> > Cindy Eliason
                    >> > Whitefield, NH
                    >> >
                    >> > "Roo, if you go on making faces like Piglet's, you will grow
                    > up to
                    >> > LOOK like
                    >> > Piglet, and THEN think how sorry you will be."
                    >> > -Kanga
                    >> >

                    >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >> >

                    >> > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
                    > -------
                    >> > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
                    >> >
                    > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=43257/ *http://advision .webevents. yahoo.co
                    > m/mailbeta>
                    >> > - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

                  • royalbay93
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2006
                      There is a horse at the barn that colics everytime there is going to
                      be a severe weather change. Has done it for years. It took the owners
                      forever to figure it out. Diet changes didn't stop it but they did
                      find one combination of feed that seemed to make it slightly better.
                      These are people that stop at no expense to find out what the problem
                      is and they work very closely with the vet.

                      Michelle