      From: Marv Walker <Marv@...>
      To: MarvWalkerHorses <MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com>; Janis <jdjones@...>
      Sent: Mon, Apr 7, 2014 12:30 PM
      Subject: Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Are people losing touch with manners?

      Unfortunately, yes.

      We have protected fools to the point where they outnumber us.  Why, we've even elected a good number of them to Congress.

      What you have described is why we now live so far back in the woods the Internet signal comes in the mail.

      Years ago, when I worked for someone else, the neighbor would ride into town with me since she worked a couple blocks from me and didn't have a car.  I had had a severe stroke like event that lasted about a day before it just went away on its own and I was going through a string of doctors.

      I told her she was going to have to find a ride the next day because I had a doctor's appointment.  She then asked, "If you die, can I have your car?"

      It's rampant every where.  LOUD Rap music(???) booming from parked, and other wise, cars.  Answering cell phones or texting in the middle of conversations.  Sales clerks ignoring buyers to answer the phone.  Scratching lottery tickets at the counter, and buying more to scratch should one return a few dollars, in front of a line of folks waiting to pay and go.  On and on.

      How do you deal with it?  As hard as it is, rising above it.  That is about the only way to deal with it and rising above it, even a little, increases your sense of self-worth.

      The guy who does small engine repair in town has a sign behind the counter that says, "Lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency on our part."

      Try to take comfort in the fact that things will get more bearable.

      Marv "" Walker

      At 02:12 AM 4/7/2014, you wrote:

      This is something I can’t post on Facebook, so I hope there are still people who’d like to chat on the list.
      1. I might be hyper-sensitive because I’ve had a really bad week with things related to my husband’s death.  This includes dealing with policy to cancel joint account credit cards when one person died.  I was told this is required by federal law.  No one told me about it till it had been cancelled.  Another thing that happened overwhelmed me with a feeling of shame, something I would not have expected.  All research I did led me to believe that any person who served in the military, whether regular or reserve, active or not, could receive a military plaque for the grave.  After I’d processed all the paperwork, including forwarding it to the cemetery supervisor for sign-off and forwarding to the VA, I got a letter saying I’d have to have additional proof that one or more other conditions had been met.  I think the shame comes from a general feeling that started when David was going through the short and long-term disability steps last year, then all the things I’ve had to get changed since he died.  I say we were, and I am, no longer a customer or employee, just a suspect in a fraud that didn’t happen.  That is how every step has been set up, as fraud prevention, but with a heavy indication that the customer has already committed that fraud.  It is hideous.
      Well, on top of this, today really was the straw that broke this camel’s back.  You might remember my bizarre neighbor I caught kissing one of my horses over the fence?  That’s been several years, and after I asked her at that time never to do anything like that, she didn’t come by here.  Her home is back-to-back with ours.  Several months ago, I was driving David to a medical appointment, and we met the couple out walking their dogs.  They stood in the road to stop us, told us they’d heard about David’s cancer, and asked if they could pray for him.  Well, we’d never turn that down, but it was still uncomfortable because she knew we were headed to a doctor but still went on and on in the middle of the road.  A few minutes after we got home, her husband zoomed to our driveway to give us some church CDs about healing, and he was so nosey.  He’s a policeman, and I’d think he would be a little more aware of respect for people and property.  I had zero time to hang out and visit this whole last year.  He wanted to know why I block the long driveway, and I said for security.  He said, “So you’re afraid?”  I said, “Only that I might have to kill someone in self-defense.” Smile

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic