      To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
      From: ewestfall@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 07:52:44 -0600
      Subject: Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] food aggressive mare

      Right. Dangerous to challenge a defensive horse in such a restricted
      space. I once witnessed a very competent horseman whose hobby was
      retraining very dangerous/aggressive quarter-horse stallions. He was very
      successful at it and very much in demand. (This was in Oregon)

      He was demonstrating working with an Arabian stallion who apparently
      feared being enclosed in a stall.

      The demo ended with the horseman distracted by someone's question and the
      stallion taking that opportunity to lunge into an attack and grabbed the
      guy in the face.

      He was able to get the horse off him and backed off, but....

      AnitaW

      > I agree. I was working 45'x 125' pen and with a lunge whip.
      > I would not be comfortable working on this in a stall.
      > Margo
      >

      > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM, <jackieadecker@...> wrote:
      >

      >> I prefer to do this in a large space because that way I can more easily
      >> keep the horse out of kicking, striking or biting range until they
      >> understand the rules of the game. You can do it in a stall, but in the
      >> tighter quarters, the horse might spin and kick you more easily. Once
      >> the
      >> principle is learned in the larger space, the horse will generally
      >> respond
      >> respectfully in a stall to my raising a finger of warning, typically
      >> even
      >> to the point of backing out of the stall and just leaving their head
      >> inside, bright eyes and pricked ears. You might need to occasionally do
      >> refresher. Just have a line in the sand that a threatening look is
      >> never
      >> rewarded with food, never.
      >>
      >> Jackie Decker
      >> Mystic Ranch
      >> 4264 Beagle Road
      >> White City, Oregon 97503
      >> 541-826-8400
      >> www.mystic-ranch.com
      >>
      >> In a message dated 12/3/2013 3:21:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      >> margon@... writes:
      >>

      >> It may be that tying her makes her feel restricted in being able to
      >> defend her food.
      >>
      >> I was boarding two horses that did something similar, but not tied. The
      >> young one kicked me in the chest because I didn't dump her feed fast
      >> enough. But never again after I had to use the method Jackie described
      >> for
      >> my own safety.
      >>
      >> Margo
      >>

      >> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM, <jackieadecker@...> wrote:
      >>

      >>> Sue:
      >>>
      >>> Here is what I do with food aggressive horses. I do it in a large
      >>> space
      >>> with the horse at liberty. I take the food in one hand with a whip in
      >>> the
      >>> other. I back the horse off as I approach and put the grain pan down.
      >>> As
      >>> long as the horse has a cranky look on its face or is trying to rush in
      >>> toward the food, I will drive it off. I wait for the horse to realize
      >>> that
      >>> I own the food, prick its ears forward, get a soft eye and ask if she
      >>> can
      >>> approach. Then I will invite her into the food. At any sign of a
      >>> pinned
      >>> ear or hard eye, I will drive her back away from the food. It doesn't
      >>> take
      >>> long before your mare will automatically prick ears forward and get a
      >>> nice
      >>> soft eye, begging you to allow her in with the food.
      >>>
      >>> Jackie Decker
      >>> Mystic Ranch
      >>> 4264 Beagle Road
      >>> White City, Oregon 97503
      >>> 541-826-8400
      >>> www.mystic-ranch.com
      >>>
      >>> In a message dated 12/3/2013 2:26:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      >>> k9klips@... writes:
      >>>

      >>> My mare who is food aggressive started a new behavior. She has always
      >>> been aggressive around food . Grain is the worst. She along with our
      >>> gelding are finally living on our property after about 5 years. I tie
      >>> her
      >>> and the gelding up separate when I grain them. They share hay and are
      >>> ok
      >>> with that. She had a bad habit of pinning her ears and snaking her head
      >>> at
      >>> us. (she was starved down once in her life, but that was then, this is
      >>> now)
      >>> they have 24/7 hay. long story short, she cow kicked at my daughter
      >>> when
      >>> tied, (eating grain) Her and I had a come to Jesus meeting and she no
      >>> longer pins her ears or snakes her head at me when I walk past, but
      >>> pins
      >>> her ears and snakes her head in the opposite direction of me. What is
      >>> that?
      >>> She is very quirky at the very least. Gotta love them.
      >>>
      >>> Sue
      >>>

      >> --
      >> Margo Nielsen
      >> View Margo's Architectural work at: www.nielsenhausdesigns.com