      To: MarvWalkerHorses@yahoogroups.com
      From: margon@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 17:20:58 -0600
      Subject: Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] food aggressive mare

      It may be that tying her makes her feel restricted in being able to defend her food.

      I was boarding two horses that did something similar, but not tied. The young one kicked me in the chest because I didn't dump her feed fast enough. But never again after I had to use the method Jackie described for my own safety.

      Margo

      On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM, <jackieadecker@...> wrote:

      Sue:

      Here is what I do with food aggressive horses.  I do it in a large space with the horse at liberty. I take the food in one hand with a whip in the other.  I back the horse off as I approach and put the grain pan down.   As long as the horse has a cranky look on its face or is trying to rush in toward the food, I will drive it off.  I wait for the horse to realize that I own the food, prick its ears forward, get a soft eye and ask if she can approach.  Then I will invite her into the food.  At any sign of a pinned ear or hard eye, I will drive her back away from the food.  It doesn't take long before your mare will automatically prick ears forward and get a nice soft eye, begging you to allow her in with the food.

      Jackie Decker
      Mystic Ranch
      4264 Beagle Road
      White City, Oregon 97503
      541-826-8400
      www.mystic-ranch.com

      In a message dated 12/3/2013 2:26:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, k9klips@... writes:

      My mare who is food aggressive started a new behavior. She has always been aggressive around food . Grain is the worst. She along with our gelding are finally living on our property after about 5 years. I tie her and the gelding up separate when I grain them. They share hay and are ok with that. She had a bad habit of pinning her ears and snaking her head at us. (she was starved down once in her life, but that was then, this is now) they have 24/7 hay. long story short, she cow kicked at my daughter when tied, (eating grain) Her and I had a come to Jesus meeting and she no longer pins her ears or snakes her head at me when I walk past, but pins her ears and snakes her head in the opposite direction of me. What is that?  She is very quirky at the very least. Gotta love them.

      Sue

      --
      Margo Nielsen
      View Margo's Architectural work at: www.nielsenhausdesigns.com