49413Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] food aggressive mare

  • mysticpasos
    Dec 3, 2013
      Here is what I do with food aggressive horses.  I do it in a large space with the horse at liberty. I take the food in one hand with a whip in the other.  I back the horse off as I approach and put the grain pan down.   As long as the horse has a cranky look on its face or is trying to rush in toward the food, I will drive it off.  I wait for the horse to realize that I own the food, prick its ears forward, get a soft eye and ask if she can approach.  Then I will invite her into the food.  At any sign of a pinned ear or hard eye, I will drive her back away from the food.  It doesn't take long before your mare will automatically prick ears forward and get a nice soft eye, begging you to allow her in with the food.
      Jackie Decker
      Mystic Ranch
      4264 Beagle Road
      White City, Oregon 97503
      In a message dated 12/3/2013 2:26:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, k9klips@... writes:

      My mare who is food aggressive started a new behavior. She has always been aggressive around food . Grain is the worst. She along with our gelding are finally living on our property after about 5 years. I tie her and the gelding up separate when I grain them. They share hay and are ok with that. She had a bad habit of pinning her ears and snaking her head at us. (she was starved down once in her life, but that was then, this is now) they have 24/7 hay. long story short, she cow kicked at my daughter when tied, (eating grain) Her and I had a come to Jesus meeting and she no longer pins her ears or snakes her head at me when I walk past, but pins her ears and snakes her head in the opposite direction of me. What is that?  She is very quirky at the very least. Gotta love them.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic