49401Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Finally, Faith & Focusing

  • Lisa Harrison
    Sep 18, 2013
      Marv,
      I so love to hear your recounting of your training Faith.  It's good to know that even you have doubts sometimes.  It's also good to know that what works; always works, it just might take a little longer.
      Lisa/Tx

      On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM, <cob4cob@...> wrote:

      In a message dated 18/09/2013 03:40:51 GMT Daylight Time, Marv@... writes:
      I want them to look to me, to focus on me
      whenever anything disturbs them. When they look to me they'll see me
      ignoring the spook no matter what it is. When they are focused on
      me, the spook is secondary. This is mimicking the herd dynamic where
      the herd leader determines the value of the spook.

      That's largely how my boys and girls work.... if they find something unsettling, they turn to me for advice and confirmation of whether we should run or not, though the answer is of course always no.

      However, we did have a strange reversal the other day. I was out on the paddock with the girls, and could clearly hear the calls of a distressed horse in the distance so tried to bring it to the girls attention. Eventually my older mare raised her head, listened, looked at me with a "That's nothing to worry over" look, and promptly went back to eating her hay.

      Colin
      UK

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic