Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] rain rot recipe, please

(49386)
  • Janis
    Aug 27, 2013 Expand Messages
      I've used Shapley's Original M-T-G™ and found it worked quickly. I also
      appreciated not having to mix anything myself. It also promotes hair growth
      once the spots are cleared up.

      Listerine diluted by an equal amount of water is also good for rain rot and
      good to keep on hand for first aid.

      Whatever you use, also do these:

      * Remember that the condition can be spread to other horses.

      * Remove the scabs and dispose of them away from other horses. They carry
      the "bug," and they also seal the infected spots, preventing healing.

      * Don't cover the spots with any kind of oily ointment that would re-seal
      them. They need to be exposed to air for the germs to die.

      * Use a brush or rubber curry to loosen the scabs, then soak that brush in
      disinfectant between uses. Do not use it on another horse without soaking
      it.

      You can use disposable gloves or wash with an antiseptic soap, not just a
      quick spritz or hand cleaner. For the brush/comb, use straight Listerine or
      iodine soap or dairy cleaner, something meant to kill bacteria and fungus.
      Soak at least 10 minutes.

      Listerine was originally developed by Dr. Lister to sanitize hospital
      equipment and patients. It's cheap enough to use for routine cleaning of
      grooming equipment.

      JanisCJ
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic