49378Re: [MarvWalkerHorses] Sticky breeding certificate question
- Aug 20, 2013Start by calling the registry, asking them what their preferred procedure
is. Some registries will bar members who supply an obviously wrong document
If that registry requires the stallions to be DNA tested with the results
attached to their records, all you need to do is get the foal's DNA tested
to prove paternity. Those tests are absolute, and the registry can then
have more info for a decision. They'll know there's no way the DNA and foal
color confirms the breeding cert. If they won't do anything at that point,
then go for a formal complaint.
Very often, people will be swayed to make something right when they realize
they are about to be under a bright spotlight of facts. :)
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:55 PM
Subject: [MarvWalkerHorses] Sticky breeding certificate question
I purchased a mare in foal in September 2012 - she was sold to me not
guaranteed to be in foal, but the previous owner gave me a breeding
certificate to a homozygous paint stud for the dates 5/15/12 through
6/15/2012. Just in case she was not in foal I pastured her with my homozyg.
stud Sept 15 2012. On July 18 2013 she gave birth to a silver dapple baby -
too late and wrong color for the certificate I have, and too early and wrong
color for my stud. Baby was definitely not premature - obviously one of her
other studs caught her.
Problem now is the breeder is hemming/hawing saying it's not any of her
studs - but she has a silver dun stud right on her website! Anyone got any
suggestions? Someone told me to call the registry and file a formal
complaint - and I know I could get a DNA test to prove it's not my stud -
anyone else every have this happen? I've got to get this little one sold
asap for my farm tax assessment. Is it worth complaining to the registry?
And does anyone know the best place to have dna testing done on mane/tail
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>