From Oscar

  • Bob Storck
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
        Bob,
        Do you think Osacr would like to be invitied to the Marlboro_Raceway group? I'd be happy to set him up.
        Steve L.

        >> Hi all! I ran a bunch of races there...... won some........ Cisitalia
        >> Novulari Spider with MG engine-Weber cabs, Triumph TR 3, Ace Bristol,
        >> Ferrari Super Monza Chevy....Maybe even ran the Penske-Wintersteen
        >> Cooper Chevy-mid 60's)......many of us slept in our station
        >> wagons...or 5 -6 in a motel room on the side of a hill near
        >> there....you could go to the Tobacco Auction.... get a few samples
        >> and roll your own.....I rolled cigars ..they made you dizzy after a
        >> few puffs.....I gave it up....many drivers chewed on cigars while
        >> racing....it a was macho thing....... .
        >>
        >> Recollections. ....the
        chief steward used to call me on the carpet for
        >> passing 4-6-8 cars going into turn one at the start
        >> (drivers getting in line one-by-one to get through it left the left
        >> side open....to pass....I told him..) Tex Hopkins black flagged me in
        >> practice once and made me put a long sleeve shirt on ( we usually
        >> raced in T shirts)
        >>
        >> After learning what a piece of junk the Cooper Chevy was (after
        >> hitting a tree at 90MPH almost killing myself) I learned about
        >> McLarens and Can Am Racing. I bought a McLaren MK6B show car chassis
        >> (never run) and a used Traco 365 Chevy Dean Moon Manifold with 4
        >> dual 48 IDA Weber Carbs on. My mechanic Jack Deren put it together
        >> and in hard testing (Cumberland MD) while leading the race from Pole
        >> Position (ahead of George Alderman) the rear A frame ( suspension)

        pulled apart but the large run off area saved the car......Jack
        >> welded up new front and rear suspension parts and we went to our
        >> first 200 mile Can Am race ever at Mosport in l969.....finishing 7th.
        >>
        >> When contacting the McLaren-Elva factory about the A frames- sending
        >> photos the surprise came. After checking said that car was going to
        >> the London Racing Car show and they didn't have time to weld the
        >> 'wraparounds' like Jack figured out and did. We went Can Am racing,
        >> SCCA National racing and did pretty well. (check our Team Auto World
        >> 1969-1971 Can Am video) at <www.autoworldmobil ia.com> or also sold on
        >> eBay......
        >>
        >> At age 75 some advice. Take super care of your mechanic(s) if you
        >> have any, or take care of your racing car like an airplane.... or
        it
        >> might be your last ride on earth....... .....
        >>
        >> Oscar Koveleski

      • Bill Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
          Of course he would, he can tell lies as good as anyone.
          He use to pick on me because of my dunebuggy ASR.
          I set ASR lap record at the 1st Pocono National and
          Oscar was Chief Stewart, therefore not racing his Mclaren
          which would have most likely kicked my ass. After
          Jerry Stahl built a decent header for my car it did
          clock 165 mph at the runoffs at Atlanta. Wish I had
          taken some pictures of that car.

          bd
        • Bob Storck
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
            Send him a note! You might mention the daily digest ...

            and btw, we need to edit our subject lines. Too many bear NO
            relationship to the discussions inside.

            Cheers, Bob

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
              Hey Oscar

              Good seeing you the other week at Stan's.  Got a picture of you when you were pretty before mustache that I think I need to share with the Marlboro crowd. (see Attachment}

              Rick Mandelson

              >> Hi all! I ran a bunch of races there...... won some........ Cisitalia
              >> Novulari Spider with MG engine-Weber cabs, Triumph TR 3, Ace Bristol,
              >> Ferrari Super Monza Chevy....Maybe even ran the Penske-Wintersteen
              >> Cooper Chevy-mid 60's)......many of us slept in our station
              >> wagons...or 5 -6 in a motel room on the side of a hill near
              >> there....you could go to the Tobacco Auction.... get a few samples
              >> and roll your own.....I rolled cigars ..they made you dizzy after a
              >> few puffs.....I gave it up....many drivers chewed on cigars while
              >> racing....it a was macho thing....... .
              >>
              >> Recollections. ....the chief steward used to call me on the carpet for
              >> passing 4-6-8 cars going into turn one at the start
              >> (drivers getting in line one-by-one to get through it left the left
              >> side open....to pass....I told him..) Tex Hopkins black flagged me in
              >> practice once and made me put a long sleeve shirt on ( we usually
              >> raced in T shirts)
              >>
              >> After learning what a piece of junk the Cooper Chevy was (after
              >> hitting a tree at 90MPH almost killing myself) I learned about
              >> McLarens and Can Am Racing. I bought a McLaren MK6B show car chassis
              >> (never run) and a used Traco 365 Chevy Dean Moon Manifold with 4
              >> dual 48 IDA Weber Carbs on. My mechanic Jack Deren put it together
              >> and in hard testing (Cumberland MD) while leading the race from Pole
              >> Position (ahead of George Alderman) the rear A frame ( suspension)
              >> pulled apart but the large run off area saved the car......Jack
              >> welded up new front and rear suspension parts and we went to our
              >> first 200 mile Can Am race ever at Mosport in l969.....finishing 7th.
              >>
              >> When contacting the McLaren-Elva factory about the A frames- sending
              >> photos the surprise came. After checking said that car was going to
              >> the London Racing Car show and they didn't have time to weld the
              >> 'wraparounds' like Jack figured out and did. We went Can Am racing,
              >> SCCA National racing and did pretty well. (check our Team Auto World
              >> 1969-1971 Can Am video) at <www.autoworldmobil ia.com> or also sold on
              >> eBay......
              >>
              >> At age 75 some advice. Take super care of your mechanic(s) if you
              >> have any, or take care of your racing car like an airplane.... or it
              >> might be your last ride on earth....... .....
              >>
              >> Oscar Koveleski

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              It has removed 474 spam emails to date.
              Try SPAMfighter for free now!
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
                Hey Bill

                I'm cc'ing Jere Stahl simply because he enjoys knowing about the people he has helped in the past that did so well because of his Engineering.  He is still active in the Stahl header business but what you probably don't know is he went to SCCA school and has his license for approximately two years.  As he told me, "always wanted to so I did"  Ya gotta love a guy like that.  He's run a ton of races in a short amount of time and has traveled to quite a few tracks not like some people. ( as Bill Scott called me, "regional Rick")

                Rick Mandelson