Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Gasoline Alley/Jim Sutter

  • scshmoo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
      Hi All,

      Another Sutter story.

      When Jim started building his special he had a beard. I had a photo of him welding with the beard, but cannot find it.

      Attached is a shot from Marlboro 5 Oct 1963 showing Jim with his beard. Henry Hironaka is in the TRC (0660).

      Can anyone identify the man in the center. He owned an Alfa and lived in Forest Glen as I recall.

      Anyway while welding the frame of the special Jim lit his beard on fire. He shaved it off at that point.

      Attached is another scan (sorry about the quality I tried to do this from the neg and Photoshop could not rad it correctly). in any case Jim is sitting in the partially complete special dreaming
      of winning races sans beard in March 1964.

      Regards,

      david
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007

        Attached is a picture of me after pressuring Henry in a National since I had to run F modified because Bruce Jennings protested me as I didn't have headlight in the headlight buckets. (couldn't afford Porsche lens)  Modified cars had to have head lights as well so I tossed in a couple of flash light bulbs.  I won FM....go figure.  Yes those are people in the trees before the fire truck blew them out of there.

        Rick

        When Jim started building his special he had a beard. I had a photo of him welding with the beard, but cannot find it.

        Attached is a shot from Marlboro 5 Oct 1963 showing Jim with his beard. Henry Hironaka is in the TRC (0660).

        Can anyone identify the man in the center. He owned an Alfa and lived in Forest Glen as I recall.

        Anyway while welding the frame of the special Jim lit his beard on fire. He shaved it off at that point.

        Attached is another scan (sorry about the quality I tried to do this from the neg and Photoshop could not rad it correctly). in any case Jim is sitting in the partially complete special dreaming
        of winning races sans beard in March 1964.

        Regards,

        david

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        It has removed 468 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      • scshmoo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
          Hi Rick,

          April 1964 I am guessing. I remember the people in the trees and the fire truck.
          There were also people who used to hang over the top of the "wall" going into
          the hairpin.

          regards,

          david

          Rick Mandelson wrote:

          > David Attached is a picture of me after pressuring Henry in a National since
          > I had to run F modified because Bruce Jennings protested me as I didn't have
          > headlight in the headlight buckets. (couldn't afford Porsche lens) Modified
          > cars had to have head lights as well so I tossed in a couple of flash light
          > bulbs. I won FM....go figure. Yes those are people in the trees before the
          > fire truck blew them out of there. Rick

        • Donald Greimel
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
            Rick.
            That 356 looks as awkward and silly today as it did 45 years ago :>)  Look at the bloody wheel angles.
            Don

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
              Don

              It was the best I could do with what I had.

[...]

            • Don Haines Photography
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
                I used to hang over the wall too.  Holding a video camera.

                Don

                Rick Mandelson wrote:

                > David Attached is a picture of me after pressuring Henry in a National since
                > I had to run F modified because Bruce Jennings protested me as I didn't have
                > headlight in the headlight buckets. (couldn't afford Porsche lens) Modified
                > cars had to have head lights as well so I tossed in a couple of flash light
                > bulbs. I won FM....go figure. Yes those are people in the trees before the
                > fire truck blew them out of there. Rick

                Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
                Don Haines Photography
                Serving the DC Metro area,Tampa Bay and Central Florida
                Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
                www.donhainesphotography.com
                301-920-1714
                727-643-5619