Dirt Road Course at Dorsey

  • larryj300
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
      Did anyone out there attend the sports car races held on a dirt road
      course created at Dorsey Speedway (Elkridge, Md.)? It was first held
      on 9-13-1958 and won by Bob Kahmer.
      Like Marlboro, it utilized part of the oval and went off back into the
      woods. I believe a few more events were held in 1959 and 1960.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
        Larry

        I ran Dr. Ben Poster's Fiat modified open wheeler (home built Formula Jr.) in 1960 at Dorsey.

        Rick Mandelson
        Ellicott City, Maryland

        Did anyone out there attend the sports car races held on a dirt road
        course created at Dorsey Speedway (Elkridge, Md.)? It was first held
        on 9-13-1958 and won by Bob Kahmer.
        Like Marlboro, it utilized part of the oval and went off back into the
        woods. I believe a few more events were held in 1959 and 1960.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        It has removed 352 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      • Ed Diehl

          Did anyone out there attend the sports car races held on a dirt road
          course created at Dorsey Speedway (Elkridge, Md.)? It was first held
          on 9-13-1958 and won by Bob Kahmer.
          Like Marlboro, it utilized part of the oval and went off back into the
          woods. I believe a few more events were held in 1959 and 1960.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          It has removed 352 spam emails to date.
          Try SPAMfighter for free now!

          Ed Diehl

        • Don Haines Photography
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2007
            Hi Ed,

              As I remember it, SCCA drivers school was little more than a "testing" session.  Experienced drivers would critique your driving to make sure you were safe and had the skills to go "real racing". So you either "had it" or you didn't.

             I've got a friend who recently bought a Porsche 944 Turbo and is going to Porsche Club Drivers Educations  events and he says  they are not anything like SCCA's driver's schools. Anything like "racing" is discouraged. They go fast but it's not competition.  But he is having fun.

            He has always considered himself a "hot" driver (on the street).  Now he has become a bit humble.  Just back from VIR he commented that compared to him, even if I was only a feeble racer, I must have been "damn good" (his words not mine.)  Now he says he has an idea  what racing must be all about. :-D And he's not sure he is ready for it.

            Rick Mandelson <rollingthunder78@ verizon.net> wrote:
            Larry

            I ran Dr. Ben Poster's Fiat modified open wheeler (home built Formula Jr.) in 1960 at Dorsey.

            Rick Mandelson
            Ellicott City, Maryland

            Did anyone out there attend the sports car races held on a dirt road
            course created at Dorsey Speedway (Elkridge, Md.)? It was first held
            on 9-13-1958 and won by Bob Kahmer.
            Like Marlboro, it utilized part of the oval and went off back into the
            woods. I believe a few more events were held in 1959 and 1960.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            It has removed 352 spam emails to date.
            Try SPAMfighter for free now!

            Ed Diehl

            Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
            Don Haines Photography
            Serving the Tampa Bay area and Central Florida
            Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
            www.donhainesphotography.com
            727-643-5619
            301-920-1714

          • Pelouze, Craige
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2007

              Hey Eddie,  we had some fun in EP in the TR 3’s.  and running with Sam Perry,  Marc, etc in FP; and Irv’s Saabs in the 6 & 12 hrs. also.  You stayed at my house for a few weeks in between wives!!!

              Missed seeing you at the Gold Cup in June at VIR.  I drove Scuderia Silvestri’s Alfa Berlina—kinda like a school bus.  Ran the 12 hr at Homestead in  April & 12 hr at Summit in June and doing the 13 hr at VIR in Nov.  Craige Pelouze

              Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
              Investment Sales | Central VA Multi-Housing Group
              CB Richard Ellis | Brokerage Services
              7501 Boulders View Drive, Suite 600 | Richmond , VA 23225
              T 804 267 7244 | F 804 320 4839 | C 804 399 7327
              craige.pelouze@... | www.cbre.com/richmond

              This email may contain information that is confidential or attorney-client privileged and may constitute inside information. The contents of this email are intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are directed not to read, disclose, distribute or otherwise use this transmission. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the transmission. Delivery of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privileges.

            • Donald Greimel

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2007
                  Hi there Craige. Sorry I missed you at VIR. We left early due to an engine issue. Sounds like you are getting plenty of seat time.Good for you!  Hope  to see you at one of the events next seasn. Take care and cheers, Ed.

                  craige.pelouze@ cbre.com | www.cbre.com/ richmond