DC Region SCCA/Marlboro display at VRG

  • Steve Lloyd
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2007
      Folks,
      Phil Charlwood, Ron Polimeni (and maybe a few others) will be joining
      me in presenting a modest DC Region/Marlboro historical display at the
      VRG (Vintage Racer Group) Turkey Bowl at Summit Point on the
      Saturday/Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.

      I am not a member of VRG, so I can't offer paddock passes, etc. You
      should probably contact VRG directly at: http://vrgonline.org/

      Be sure to follow their links and check out the photos from last year's
      Turkey Bowl. Pete McMannus had the Ardent Alligator racing there, as
      well as Kendall Merrit, Jr with an early '50s Kurtis coupe!. Lots of
      other good cars, good people too.

      More details as we get 'em...
      Steve Lloyd, Historian
      Washington DC Region, SCCA
      wdcrhistory@...
    • Larry Jendras
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2007
        Steve,
         Is there still going to be a display this weekend at Summit Point?

        Larry Jendras Jr.
        Sykesville, Md.

        Steve Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:
        Folks,
        Phil Charlwood, Ron Polimeni (and maybe a few others) will be joining
        me in presenting a modest DC Region/Marlboro historical display at the
        VRG (Vintage Racer Group) Turkey Bowl at Summit Point on the
        Saturday/Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.

        I am not a member of VRG, so I can't offer paddock passes, etc. You
        should probably contact VRG directly at: http://vrgonline.org/

        Be sure to follow their links and check out the photos from last year's
        Turkey Bowl. Pete McMannus had the Ardent Alligator racing there, as
        well as Kendall Merrit, Jr with an early '50s Kurtis coupe!. Lots of
        other good cars, good people too.

        More details as we get 'em...
        Steve Lloyd, Historian
        Washington DC Region, SCCA
        wdcrhistory@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:Marlboro_Raceway-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:Marlboro_Raceway-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Pelouze, Craige
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2007

          Sorry I won’t be able to join you all this weekend.  Sounds like lots of fun and memories.  I did a test day Monday at Summit and the new pavement is awesome.  They claim two seconds a lap faster but I ran a 1.30 in a spec Miata which was 5 secs faster than I’ve ever done in a race and would have been good for a front row qualifying in most races in the past.  Almost as much fun as back in the 70’s.

           The new plack at start/ finish in memory of past DC Region/Marlboro enthusiasts and members  was a wonderful surprise and tribute to our by gone friends.  God rest their soles and may they be at full tilt in that big track in heaven.

           Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming---Wow!  What a ride.   Happy Thanksgiving,  Craige

          Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
          Investment Sales | Central VA Multi-Housing Group
          CB Richard Ellis | Brokerage Services
          7501 Boulders View Drive, Suite 600 | Richmond , VA 23225
          T 804 267 7244 | F 804 320 4839 | C 804 399 7327
          craige.pelouze@... | www.cbre.com/richmond

          This email may contain information that is confidential or attorney-client privileged and may constitute inside information. The contents of this email are intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are directed not to read, disclose, distribute or otherwise use this transmission. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the transmission. Delivery of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privileges.

        • Don Haines Photography
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2007
            Hi folks,

               In case anyone would be interested, I will be attending the VRG meet this Sat. at Summit Point.  {It's my birthday! :-(   So I want to do something to forget about that and do something that I enjoy.

            Anyway,  I'm going to be bringing some photos from the Gold Cup Races at VIR - Framed and available.  I'll also be taking photographs of the event itself.  If anyone is running, contact me and I'll make an effort to get shots of your car(s) on track at speed (or posed in the pits). I will have a media pass and will be able to get out there for shots.

             That's how I got into photography as a career.  When I wasn't driving, I wrote and photographed for publications.  I may bring my old scrapbooks from Marlboro as well. I'll leave them at the Marlboro display (if I can find it).  Depends on how much energy I have to lug stuff.

            Steve Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            Folks,
            Phil Charlwood, Ron Polimeni (and maybe a few others) will be joining
            me in presenting a modest DC Region/Marlboro historical display at the
            VRG (Vintage Racer Group) Turkey Bowl at Summit Point on the
            Saturday/Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.

            I am not a member of VRG, so I can't offer paddock passes, etc. You
            should probably contact VRG directly at: http://vrgonline. org/

            Be sure to follow their links and check out the photos from last year's
            Turkey Bowl. Pete McMannus had the Ardent Alligator racing there, as
            well as Kendall Merrit, Jr with an early '50s Kurtis coupe!. Lots of
            other good cars, good people too.

            More details as we get 'em...
            Steve Lloyd, Historian
            Washington DC Region, SCCA
            wdcrhistory@ comcast.net

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Marlboro_ Raceway/

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Marlboro_ Raceway/join
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:Marlboro_ Raceway-digest@ yahoogroups. com
            mailto:Marlboro_ Raceway-fullfeat ured@yahoogroups .com

            http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

            Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
            Don Haines Photography
            Serving the DC Metro area,Tampa Bay and Central Florida
            Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
            www.donhainesphotography.com
            301-920-1714
            727-643-5619

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2007
              Sorry, we had to cancel.
              SL

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
                Larry,

                Received the photos you sent. Thank you very much.  I have been ill again and missed Thanksgiving with the family.  My niece (brother's daughter) had surgery just before Thanksgiving and wasn't allowed to be around any one who was ill.  I was not feeling well that day, so I didn't take a chance.

                Again thank you and after the first of the year, I hope to work on my dad's album.

                Melenie