Re: [ATR Ltd.] Re: Jag fuel pump

  • Bob Storck
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
      Back in the day, I also had issues with one of the single ended Lucas fuel pumps (a misnamed device if there ever was one!)

      I was living in Falls Church, VA and on a fine Saturday summer afternoon had an invite to a Paul O'Malley party at his place in Capon Springs, WV ... a brisk two hour drive down Rt. 50 across winding foothills. A perfect drive for a two seat sports car with a lovely lady alongside.

      The main problem (you'll notice that I didn't say ONLY problem!) was that my buddy Bob Moser had borrowed my running Daimler to visit his girl in NJ the week before, and the pump had failed. Being resourceful and finding that the "well engineered" make/break points were at fault, he deduced that all he needed was a pulsed signal to make it operate.

      Alongside the pump was the tail light wiring! Aha!

      Bob Rube Goldberged the right turn signal wire to the pump hot lead, pulled the RF bulb and taped the turn signal lever (in the center of the wheel) to the right. Lo and behold it worked. Of course, it had not been fixed since his return.

      Also of course, just before starting out when I pulled my spare pump off the shelf and replaced it, it clicked away cheerily, but didn't pump. It was the other common Lucas pump failure, dried out and split diaphragm. OK, party getting close and girl friend getting testy, so back to the original kluge and head out. (of course with the half working pump coming along as a "spare!")

      It was a fine day and a fine party. Of course I stayed too late, and it was dark when I left. Anyone see problems here?

      Well, you string together a Lucas generator and a Lucas regulator powering Lucas head lights and a Lucas turn signal flasher and part of a Lucas fuel pump!!!! About 1/3 of the way down the road the engine started cutting out. (too far to go back to Paul's lighted shop and deal with the ridicule from besodden friends!)

      Simple solution.

      Turn off the lights!

      Do you want to run, or do you want to see?

      Obviously Lucas engineers had planned on only intermittent use of turn signal flashers while the lights were on. They didn't factor in girl friends whose discomfort at driving in the dark quickly became nagging and then screaming.

      Ye Gads! The highway department puts gravel there to tell you you are leaving the road!!!

      Finally, about the half way point, we come into a little burb. Of course with no open establishments but at least a large lot with a security light on the adjacent house. You can imagine the nervous looks I got from the woman looking out her bedroom window at the guy with a blanket spread out, taking two fuel pumps apart and trying not to lose the important bits in the gloom. All the while not getting ANY help from the woman in the right seat who was NOT finding sporty cars as exciting as she had thought an hour before!

      We can laugh about it today! Sort of.

      Cheers, Bob

      Nigel Kat wrote:
      Those double-ended Lucas jobs always were shit. When I was a kid, we had Jag Mk2 - bodied Daimler V8 saloons.  The fuel pump was always iffy and failed regularly. The approved remedy was to remove the trim behiond which this item was mounted and to tap the stuck end.

      But if you are a distance from home and the pump keeps sticking,what to do? Put the child in the boot and tell him to tap it each time it stops ticking.

      I was that child..........

    • Don Haines Photography
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
        Funny, but I had a similar problem with a Jag MK2.  While on a trip from Frederick to Baltimore, the car just died.  We decieded it was the fuel pump.

        So we put the most gullible passinger in the trunk with a little hammer and he tapped on the fuel pump all the way from Ellicott City back to Frederick.  Occassionally he would raise the trunk for air and wave at the cars that were following.

        Don

        Nigel Kat wrote:
        Those double-ended Lucas jobs always were shit. When I was a kid, we had Jag Mk2 - bodied Daimler V8 saloons.  The fuel pump was always iffy and failed regularly. The approved remedy was to remove the trim behiond which this item was mounted and to tap the stuck end.

        But if you are a distance from home and the pump keeps sticking,what to do? Put the child in the boot and tell him to tap it each time it stops ticking.

        I was that child....... ...

        Don Haines, PPA; PPSGW, WPPI,
        Don Haines Photography
        Serving the Tampa Bay area and Central Florida
        Member Clearwater Chamber of Commerce
        www.donhainesphotography.com
        727-643-5619
        301-920-0404

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

      • toyphil@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
          I think we all have one of those fuel pump stories. I had a guy pull into the shop I was working at in college with a bad pump in his XHE coupe. He had hung the lead knock-off hammer above the pump then ran another string out the vent window and back in the drivers window. When the car started to cut out he tugged the string to wack the pump back to life. It worked.

          Phil Charlwood

        • tcooper@sprintmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
            That is what is called being a driver of an English car.
            Ted
            I think we all have one of those fuel pump stories. I had a guy pull into the shop I was working at in college with a bad pump in his XHE coupe. He had hung the lead knock-off hammer above the pump then ran another string out the vent window and back in the drivers window. When the car started to cut out he tugged the string to wack the pump back to life. It worked.

            Phil Charlwood

            Checked by AVG.
          • Donald Greimel
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
              Some folks thought that the hammer supplied with British cars was for removing the wire wheels.  I carried mine behind the seat of my AH 100 because the pump was located on the wall behind the passengers seat. Get the picture??

              Don Greimel

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
                Great fuel pump stories!
                My '51 TD had the fuel pump hung on the passenger side fire wall. It could be nurtured along by tapping the inside of the fire wall with the jack handle which I kept in the passenger side foot well.

                The Brits drink warm beer. I always heard that was thanks to Lucas refrigerators!

                JWK