Re: Marlboro

  • Fred True
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 27, 2007
      Steve--

      We have a some friends who are old Marlboro fans who would like to be part of the Yahoo group.  They are Glen Sullivan glensullivan@...  Paul Sullivan pbsullivan2@... .  Glen raced there many times.

      Sounds like you really stirred something up at VIR!

      Fred & Betsy True
      Alexandria, VA

    • tcooper@sprintmail.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 27, 2007
        Steve:"
        Does any body know where Harry Handley is?
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 27, 2007
          Just to let you people know, Glen Sullivan was a hell of a driver back then............

          Rick Mandelson
          Ellicott City, Maryland

          We have a some friends who are old Marlboro fans who would like to be part of the Yahoo group.  They are Glen Sullivan glensullivan@ cs.com  Paul Sullivan pbsullivan2@ cs.com .  Glen raced there many times.

          Sounds like you really stirred something up at VIR!

          Fred & Betsy True
          Alexandria, VA

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          It has removed 292 spam emails to date.
          Try SPAMfighter for free now!
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 27, 2007
            Fred,
            I'll send the proper "invitiations" tomorrow morning. And thanks for suggesting our new "members." I remember Glen.
            Steve

          • GLWannarka@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 27, 2007
              In a message dated 6/27/2007 10:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, tcooper@... writes:

              I saw Harry about 2 weeks ago at a National race at Beaver run where he was racing his 914 (I think) Porsche.. He is a regular on the NEDIV National racing circuit.  He works in some senior capacity for Subaru US headquarters in the Cherry Hill New Jersey area.

              Jery Wannarka

              Steve:"
              Does any body know where Harry Handley is?
              We have a some friends who are old Marlboro fans who would like to be part of the Yahoo group.  They are Glen Sullivan glensullivan@ cs.com  Paul Sullivan pbsullivan2@ cs.com .  Glen raced there many times.

              Sounds like you really stirred something up at VIR!

              Fred & Betsy True
              Alexandria, VA

              Checked by AVG.

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • Pelouze, Craige
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

                Try USGS Maps.  As I remember the bowl did not have a very steep banking, typical of ¼  milers of the day.  Probably 8 degrees?  Look at some pictures of cars sitting on false grid  or taking the checker and you can get a good idea.  also the elevation change coming out of Cappys and exiting the bowl can give you another idea of grade change.

                Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
                CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
                6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
                T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
                craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg

                This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

              • jockellis@bellsouth.net

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
                    I have the USGS topo maps, they do not have sufficient detail to determine the banking on the track. 7 or 8 degrees would be typical for a short oval of that time. but photographs make it look some what less steep. I have tried to get some measurements from the photos I have, but I get a very wide variance in the angle measurement. I was woundering if anyone knows what the banking actually was.
                    Thanks for the responce though.

                    --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "jockellis@..." <jockellis@...> wrote:

                    > What is the track site today?
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Nov 15, 2012, at 9:43 AM, "Pelouze, Craige" <craige.pelouze@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Try USGS Maps. As I remember the bowl did not have a very steep banking, typical of ¼ milers of the day. Probably 8 degrees? Look at some pictures of cars sitting on false grid or taking the checker and you can get a good idea. also the elevation change coming out of Cappys and exiting the bowl can give you another idea of grade change.
                    > >

                    > > Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
                    > > CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
                    > > 6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
                    > > T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
                    > > craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg
                    > >
                    > > Please consider the environment before printing this email.
                    > >
                    > > This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

                  • Mike Matune
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

                    Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

                  • Ed Diehl
                    Message 10 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
                       Hi, Craige, your estimate on the banking at Marlboro sounds about right. Although I do remember at the first driver school it sure seemed steep.(grin)
                      Hope you are doing OK. We are still rolling along in Central Florida Region. Cheers, Ed.

                      Ed Diehl

                    • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
                      Message 11 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
                        The original footprint of the Marlboro track is still there - the owners did in the last week "scrape" the parking lot boot area - the oval and grandstandfs are still there - they are still hostile to folks that want to come take a nostalgic look - they have at times loaded the parking lot with nursery/shrubs for sale -- but it does not matter - the old Marlboro community wants nothing to do with a return to any form of motorsports or a historic recognition there

                        Message 12 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

                          From Google maps, very overgrown but the footprint is still visible

                          https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

                          Bill Z

                          Message 13 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
                            Put this in the Google Maps search window:

                            +38° 48' 24.15", -76° 44' 19.09"

                            Should put you right in the middle of the oval.

                            I have seen a couple of Websites that had photos from "recent" visitors.
                            Some w/ permission to explore, some otherwise.

                            Chris

                          • les robertson
                            Message 14 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                              Good photos, but very sad. I enjoyed many races on that blacktop in my Kelly-beach FV in the 60's. Great memories. Thanks, Les Robertson

                              To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                              From: mmatune@...
                              Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:51:50 -0500
                              Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro [3 Attachments]

                              [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

                              Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

                            • Richard
                              Message 15 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                                I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of the track that introduced me to sports car racing 1955 - 1960. They are on the next to last page of photos titled Dick Miller Photos. The first photo may be the best to get an idea of the banking along the start/finish straight.

                                I also have a good aerial photo of the track in 1966, but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. I'll also provide some links to web sites I've found while browsing for photos of Marlboro back in the good ole days. The first has good photos and photos 13 to 17 may be best for seeing what the banking may be: http://www.thevintageracer.com/rullman/rullman12hr001.htm

                                Others:

                                http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101633.html?sub=AR

                                http://www.barcboys.com/MarlboroHome.htm

                                http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html

                                Always enjoy reading what's going on at this site.

                                Dick Miller

                                P.S. I've not been able to find how to attach a photo to this post, so I will put it in the Photo section titled Marlboro Aerial

                                Message 16 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                                  I just added the Marlboro aerial photo to my Dick Miller Photos which put it on the first page since photo albums are listed by date.

                                • Yuccaseed@aol.com
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                                    Sure was 1966, I worked for Group44 and we won that race overall.
                                    I loved seeing so many cars and friends in these pictures, THANK YOU for the memories.
                                    Cheers,
                                     Don Breslauer

                                    Message 18 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                                      On 11/16/2012 10:47 AM, Richard wrote:
                                      > I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of
                                      (snip)

                                      > http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html
                                      This is my favorite:

                                      "Sometimes you win and receive silver - not $$$ (VIR-'64)"

                                      = Awards Ceremony and a Men's Fashion Show.

                                      Chris