1962 12-Hour, Pontiac Tempests

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
      Evidently Smokey Yunick entered a couple Pontiac Tempests in the 1962
      12 Hour. (There was also a Buick Special entered that year)

      I'm wondering who the drivers were. One of my early heroes in racing
      was Glen "Fireball Roberts" Fireball won the Daytona 500 in 1962
      driving a Pontiac Catalina for Smokey. He was an accomplished road
      racer as well, having finished 2nd at Le Mans in the GT class that
      year with Bob Grossman in a Ferrari 250 GTO

      Given all that it seems possible, maybe likely, that he was one of the
      Pontiac Drivers that year. Does anyone know?

      Fireball was also the 1st driver that I was "emotionally invested" in
      to be killed racing. He was arguably NASCAR's 1st superstar

      Yy,
      Steve K
    • slloydmarlboro
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Knoll" <sknoll@...>
        wrote:

        > Evidently Smokey Yunick entered a couple Pontiac Tempests in the
        1962
        > 12 Hour. (There was also a Buick Special entered that year)
        >
        > I'm wondering who the drivers were. One of my early heroes in
        racing
        > was Glen "Fireball Roberts" Fireball won the Daytona 500 in 1962
        > driving a Pontiac Catalina for Smokey. He was an accomplished road
        > racer as well, having finished 2nd at Le Mans in the GT class that
        > year with Bob Grossman in a Ferrari 250 GTO
        >
        > Given all that it seems possible, maybe likely, that he was one of
        the
        > Pontiac Drivers that year. Does anyone know?
        >
        > Fireball was also the 1st driver that I was "emotionally invested"
        in
        > to be killed racing. He was arguably NASCAR's 1st superstar

        ****SL: Steve, I recall reading about those Pontiac entries. I
        believe they, and the Buick Special, we "arm's length" factory
        efforts and Fireball Roberts sounds right. It seems to me GM was
        interested in the Temptest's drivetrain in particular. Didn't they
        have a transaxle? I seem to recall reading an article in Sports Car
        Graphic about this effort. Maybe someone can check their archives.
        If I remember correctly, I think our colleague, Denny Austin, was
        also a fan of Fireball Roberts at that time.****