Re: The Scan Plan - thinking about imaging

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
      The '69 GT-6 was a GT-6+, not a swing axle car.. You can see
      pictures of the car including the IRS here

      Later, after my time, Group 44 ran another GT-6 with the later rear-
      end styling (blacked out similar to a TR-6) which Ted Schumacher
      owned for a quite a while. As far as I know, including the short-
      lived Ezmerelda, Group 44 built 3 GT-6s, none of which were swing
      axle cars

      http://www.classicmotorsports.net/news.php?cat=17

      Also I have some period photos & ads posted here

      http://www.laprecord.com/Part-27/Pt-Index.htm

      Yr yada,
      Steve K

      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Bob Storck <bstorck@...>
      wrote:

      > IIRC, the car that Mike drove was the GT-6 with the original swing
      axle.
      > The second car had some limiting to axle travel plus the engine
      was set
      > back and the car lowered. The 6+ had true IRS and handled a whole
      lot
      > better.
      >
      > Lanky and I tried to list all the cars the Group raced. We came up
      with
      > about 55 different cars. Unfortunately, only about 88 of those
      cars
      > still exist.
      >
      > Cheers, Bob
      >
      > Steve Knoll wrote:
      >
      > > The GT-6+ that I worked on in my minor gofer way has been found
      &
      > > being restored by Classic Motorsports Magazine. Mike Downs was
      > > National Champion in '69 & it is the only Group 44 extant that I
      > > worked on to my knowledge.
      > >

      > > Mike tells the story (I was at college when this happened) that
      when
      > > testing the original GT-6+ he told Bob T that it was un-
      drivable. Bob,
      > > unimpressed told him OK, Brian will drive it. Within a couple
      laps,
      > > Brian had rolled it into a ball. They built a new one (the Nat
      Champ