Stock Cars on the Marlboro road course

  • larryj300
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
      From my research of Marlboro, it turns out the Late Model Stock
      cars ran road course races on Sunday Sept. 23, 1956 and Sunday Oct.
      14 1956. These were sanctioned by the Northern Virgina Stock Car
      Club and the PEN-MAR club. The scoresheet I have lists them as being
      run on the "long track",
      The winner of both races was the great New Jersey driver, Frankie
      Schneider in a 1956 Ford. Behind him on 9-23 were Charlie Dyer, Bill
      Morgan, Elmo Langley and Bill Brown. 30 cars started the feature
      race that day.
      On 10-14, Frankie beat out Elmo Langley, John Dodd Jr., Charlie
      Dyer and Harold Frankel. 25 cars started the main on this day.

      Another interesting race came on June 29, 1958 when the weekly
      Sportsman-Modified cars that normally raced on the oval were run on
      a .7 mile road course. It it odd seeing 1937 to 1940 Ford coupes and
      sedans racing on a road course. The winner that day of Baltimore's
      Johnny Roberts ahead of Carl Henderson, Elmo Langly, Preston Welsh
      and Clay Eastridge.

      Marlboro had something for everyone.
    • tcooper@sprintmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
        Quite nitrating, I had forgot those early days.
        Ted
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Bob Storck
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
          I recall some go kart trials at Marlboro. There were a bunch of
          complaints that made them decide not to race there, including the shocks
          on the driver and cars coming in and out of the oval, a kart losing it
          in the righthander leading into the hairpin and spinning into oncoming
          karts, the height of the guardrail in the oval, and a guy somehow
          getting launched on the berm we used to flag from between the fence and
          Cappy's. Somehow, I don't recall them mentioning the trees.

          Question is, did motorcycles ever run at Marlboro? Those guys raced some
          placed I'd be afraid to drive anything outside of a fully padded safety
          car. I believe they raced at Thompson, for instance.

          Cheers, Bob

          tcooper@... wrote:
          > *Quite nitrating, I had forgot those early days.*
          > *Ted*

        • RICK MANDELSON
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
            Bob

            Yes they raced motorcycles at Marlboro and it was call the Tobacco Road Classic.

            Most of the people in the stands didn't even know a race was going on and across the street (Md. Rte. 301) they camped for days.  It was beyond wild there as well.

            Rick Mandelson
            Ellicott City, Maryland

            tcooper@sprintmail. com wrote:
            > *Quite nitrating, I had forgot those early days.*
            > *Ted*

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            It has removed 56 spam emails to date.
            Try SPAMfighter for free now!
          • Larry Jendras
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
              Bob,
               Yes there was a long history of bikes at Marlboro. From photos I've seen, National champion Gary Nixon raced there on both a regular bike and later the streamlined ones.

              Larry

              tcooper@... wrote:
              > *Quite nitrating, I had forgot those early days.*
              > *Ted*

              Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/o9rolB/TM

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:Marlboro_Raceway-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:Marlboro_Raceway-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Bob Storck
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
                Oh yeah. Now I'm stirring the grey cells, I recall the invasion of
                motorcycle guys, at least by reputation. Their unsavory record of
                arrests were recounted by wife's relatives who worked in the Upper
                Marlboro courthouse, and kept me FAR away. Remember this was the day of
                the Pagans and Satan's Angels and their infamy.

                I recall them being very "persona non grata" at the Old Brick Inn which
                the flag guys had taken as their Saturday and Sunday "apres race" home.
                I recall being there when the bartender (owner?) griped about the "bike
                and car" crowd ruining his business, expressing his opinion that they
                were one and the same! Miffed, the flaggers sought another home (with
                limited success) and shortly thereafter Marlboro ran it's last race.

                About 2 years later I moved just south of there in Waldorf, and the OBI
                was closed ... not renamed ... just abandoned and shuttered with the OBI
                sign falling apart, and finally dropping off it's chain.

                Cheers, Bob