GEORGE BURKE ALLARD

  • netterstromjim
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2014

      My name is Jim Netterstrom and I recently read on the Marlboro group, that George Burke may have raced an Allard J2X in 1955.

       I have a 1955 J2X that I have the history of from 1957,and I wonder if Burke's  Allard may be the one that I now have.

      The car has spent it's life in Maryland and Virginia. I think I saw a picture in the background of a Scarab at Marlboro on the Marlboro Group site.There is a picture of the car racing at Cumberland in 1957 on the National Road Cumberland Airport we

       The gtb #11 in the photo was either Charlie Hayes or Gordan Tatum .

                                                                               Thanks

                                                                               Jim Netterstrom
    • David&Carol Seielstad
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2014
        Hi Jim,

        Sorry I am no Allard expert.

        George Burke raced his Allard at Marlboro 14 Jul 1957. He was in BM so probably a J2X, DNF.

        Just looked through the Cumberland programs and cannot find Burke racing there in anything. See the Allard entries for 1957 below.

        The J Allards I find at Cumberland are:

        1953

        J. T. Carson #82 frome Ardmore, PA raced a J2 CM

        William Dillinger #70 from Zellenapole(?), PA raced a J2X BM

        1955

        Dave Burtner #157 Pittsburgh(?) raced a J2X DNF Novice over 3.0 litters (Peggy Gelder also drove it in the Ladies race, 6th. She also raced it at Giants Despair in 1956).

        The Burtner Allard is 3064

        1957

        Paul Whitestein #196 Washington, D.C. J2X BM

        Bob Bucher #29 Binghampton NY Cad Allard (BM) a JR

        1959

        Alan Patterson #94 Pittsburgh J2X (think he still owns this car)

        Patterson Allard was raced at Marlboro 16 Nov 1958, Entered at Watkins 18 Sep 54, 21 Sep 57, 20 Sep 58, 24 Sep 60.

        1960

        Alan Patterson #777 entered by M.A. Gottlieb McKeesport, PA Allard LM

        1962

        Alan Patterson #191 Glassport, PA Allard BM

        I suggest getting in touch with the Allard Register - guys like Dean Butler may know the answer.

        Can you shed some more light on the #11 GTB that you say is driven by Hayes or Tatum. Where and when etc.

        On 7 July 2014, at 16:15, anetterstrom@... [Marlboro_Raceway] <Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > David
        >
        > My name is Jim Netterstrom and I recently read on the Marlboro group, that George Burke may have raced an Allard J2X in 1955.
        >
        > I have a 1955 J2X that I have the history of from 1957,and I wonder if Burke's Allard may be the one that I now have.
        >
        > The car has spent it's life in Maryland and Virginia. I think I saw a picture in the background of a Scarab at Marlboro on the Marlboro Group site.There is a picture of the car racing at Cumberland in 1957 on the National Road Cumberland Airport we
        >
        > The gtb #11 in the photo was either Charlie Hayes or Gordan Tatum .
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jim Netterstrom

      • David&Carol Seielstad
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2014
        Hi Jim,

        Attached are two Bob Kahmer photos taken 12 May 1957 at Marlboro.

        On the left #27 looks like an Allard. No idea whether it is an Allard, who entered it or anything else.

        Best Wishes,

        On 7 July 2014, at 16:15, anetterstrom@... [Marlboro_Raceway] <Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        David

        My name is Jim Netterstrom and I recently read on the Marlboro group, that George Burke may have raced an Allard J2X in 1955.

        I have a 1955 J2X that I have the history of from 1957,and I wonder if Burke's  Allard may be the one that I now have.

        The car has spent it's life in Maryland and Virginia. I think I saw a picture in the background of a Scarab at Marlboro on the Marlboro Group site.There is a picture of the car racing at Cumberland in 1957 on the National Road Cumberland Airport we

        The gtb #11 in the photo was either Charlie Hayes or Gordan Tatum .

                                                                                Thanks

                                                                                Jim Netterstrom

      • leesacks
        Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2014

          Just uploaded a color enhanced version of your photos. Shows a little more detail.

          Lee Sacks

        • David&Carol Seielstad
          Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2014
            Hi Lee,

            Thanks.

            It looks like a J2/J2X, but would have to see the front end to be certain.

            Does anyone have an entry sheet or race report for the May 1957 event? Races 7 and 9 would have involved the Modified and big engine production cars.

            It would be nice to pin down what #27 is and who was driving it.

            This was the first race weekend on the new long course at Marlboro.

          • sbroethel@...
            Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8, 2014
              Check with Steve Lloyd of the DC Region, past Archivist.  He knows where Dave Roethel'sS records are, and  where past issues of The Straightpipe are.  If the information exists, those are the best sources I  know of.  Unfortunately. none in the Region wants the job of Archivist any more.

              Sue

              dave Roethel's fiels. or Straightpipes from back then. thoase are probably the best sources.

              In a message dated 7/8/2014 3:15:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com writes:
              Hi Lee,

              Thanks.

              It looks like a J2/J2X, but would have to see the front end to be certain.

              Does anyone have an entry sheet or race report for the May 1957 event?  Races 7 and 9 would have involved the Modified and big engine production cars.

              It would be nice to pin down what #27 is and who was driving it.

              This was the first race weekend on the new long course at Marlboro.

              On 8 July 2014, at 3:05, leesacks11@... [Marlboro_Raceway] <Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > Just uploaded a color enhanced version of your photos. Shows a little more detail.
              >

              > Lee Sacks

              ------------------------------------

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  Marlboro_Raceway-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  Marlboro_Raceway-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Mike Matune
              Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2014

                Good morning,

                I show George Burke in a Jaguar in two races at Marlboro on May 14, 1957. He competes on November 16, 1958 at Marlboro in an Allard #99 in the over 1500 cc modified race, but is a DNF. Between 1960 & 1964 he competes at Marlboro four more times in a Devin and a Ferrari. The results of the 11/16/58 race are on page 10 of the January 1959 issue of "Sportscar". He is listed only as Burke in the results.

                Take care,

                Mike

                ------------------------------------

                Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2014
                • 1 Attachment
                • 48 KB
                Aloha Mike,

                Thank you, I missed the report in Sports Car.

                I have eight sightings of George Burke in his 375 at Marlboro. He does not seem to have raced elsewhere.

                10 Jul 60 #9, I have no report

                8 Jan 61 #9, not mentioned, but shows in a photo on pg 51 of the Feb 61 SC

                16 Apr 61 #9 race 9 15th CM4 Ev Gardner in Daily News and Comp Press, SC 6/61 pg 7

                4 Jun 61 Sprints and Six hour #9 DNF then shared Henry Val Vallen’s Devin Crosley in the Six Hour finish ??

                23 Jul 61 #9 race 13 6th CM1

                1 Oct 61 #9 race 15 12th CM1 Ev Gardner Daily News

                12 Nov 61 #9 ??

                12 Apr 64 #9 14th CM5 Ev Gardner Daily News, Comp Press This was the race weekend in which the Ferrari ran over a Lotus 18 in the Subway during practice. This caused the SCCA to ban racing open wheel cars with sports cars. S6/64 SC pg 38

                ------------------------------------

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    Marlboro_Raceway-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    Marlboro_Raceway-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • larryj300
                Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2014

                  I can't connect the number with a name, but in the May 12, 1957 race there was an Allard driven by Paul Whitestine in the second race which was for Novice drivers over 2 litre. This is from a Washington Post article.

                  I also have a clipping from race of August 21, 1955 which shows an Olds-Allard D- Modified driven by C. R. Saidel finishing 3rd in the fourth race.

                  Larry Jendras Jr.

                • David&Carol Seielstad
                  Message 10 of 12 , Jul 10, 2014
                    Aloha Larry,

                    Thank you for the additional information on the May 1957 Marlboro race and the Allard.

                    The Saidel and Whitestine Allards are different cars.

                    Whitestine had a J2X with a Chrysler engine. Serial is 3214, now owned by Jim Netterstrom.

                    He confirms that his has two spare wheel mounts, which was rare, and the driver side extra wheel mount shows on #27. Normally J2s had one spare wheel mount on the passenger side. Only when there were two was one found on the driver side. Seats of Jim’s car are also red as is the #27.

                    On 9 July 2014, at 22:44, larryj300@... [Marlboro_Raceway] <Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > I can't connect the number with a name, but in the May 12, 1957 race there was an Allard driven by Paul Whitestine in the second race which was for Novice drivers over 2 litre. This is from a Washington Post article.
                    >
                    > I also have a clipping from race of August 21, 1955 which shows an Olds-Allard D- Modified driven by C. R. Saidel finishing 3rd in the fourth race.
                    >

                    > Larry Jendras Jr.

                  • larryj300
                    Message 11 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014

                      Jim,

                       I noticed in the race coverage of the Cumberland race, on page 10 of the Cumberland Evening Times dated May 20, 1957, is a photo of the #196 Allard J2x driven by Paul Whitestine. It has the same type roll bar as the #27 photo. He is listed from Washington and finished 2nd in class at Cumberland.

                      Larry Jendras Jr.

                    • David&Carol Seielstad
                      Message 12 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 661 KB
                      Aloha Jim,

                      Was your Allard at the Kansas City, Art of the Car concours?

                      This image is on the site.

                      It is a two mount J2X, but may not have the Chrysler engine.