  • Larry Jendras
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 3:32 PM
      David,
      I saw your name connected with the George Burke #9 Ferrari statistics. It mentioned you and Terry O'Neil and the owner.
      My question is it shows a race in Baltimore July 1, 1955 with a 3rd place finish. Do you know where that stat came from? There was no track in Baltimore and the date is a Friday.

      Larry Jendras Jr.
      Sykesville, Md.
    • David&Carol Seielstad
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 6:59 PM
      Hi Larry,

      In 1955 George Burke was racing an Allard J2X. He did live in Baltimore.

      The brief history of the 375 Ferrari is:

      Bill Spear March to September 1954, then loaned to Jack Rutherfurd for speed runs on the sand at Daytona in Feb 1955.

      Duncan Black Jul 1955 until Sep 1958. Black bought the Ferrari, or took delivery,  on or about 1 July 1955. There was no race, but the car moved to the Baltimore area.

      blank: Still with Black?

      George Burke Sep 1960 until Apr 1964 (last race?)

      George Burke did not own or race the Ferrari in 1955.

      You are correct there is no track in or near Baltimore, except for Westport Stadium. Westport Stadium, Baltimore, Md - 1/5 mile dirt 1951 to 1963 NASCAR Sportsman and Modifieds, Hobby Stocks.

      The SCCA used the airfield at the Fairchild Plant, in Hagerstown  once on 16 Oct 1955 and Duncan Black did race the Ferrari there #4 DNF. Black lived in Parkton, Maryland which is a suburb of Baltimore.

      In the early days  a Baltimore group organized hill climbs at Pine Grove on 1 June 1950 and Butler on 15 October 1950. After that the Washington Region was the active race organizer, except for Cumberland that was run by the Steel Cities Region.

      NASCAR  had an event at Westport Stadium (in Baltimore a baseball stadium that ran cars around the diamond and edge of the out field.) on 9 July 1955 and it appears that three sports car drivers were invited to race along side the stockers. The Sun mentions Jack Reed XK 120, Nick Caviluzzi Thunderbird and Fred Pfisterer Corvette.

      Sports Car Owners  and Drivers Club (SCODA) from Long Island  organized races at Westport Stadium 17 Sept 1955, promoter Ed Otto  announced a race card involving motorcycles, , stock cars and sports cars.There were three races for sports cars, two 12 lap preliminary and one 25  lap  feature. Next to nothing is reported about these races beyond Capelli won the first prelim. Jacobs, Jaguar, won the second prelim and won the feature ahead of Sears, Jaguar, and Pfisterer, Austin Healey.

      Hope this helps.