In search of information regarding the first two TR6's in the USA

  • Patrick Huckels
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014
      Hello all. I am new to writing to a group so please bear with me.
      I asked Mike Cook, author of the book Triumphs in America,  if he knew the whereabouts of the first two TR6's brought to the USA which are featured in the 1969 TR6 Sales Brochure and as I understand, tested extensively by many car magazines. Their Commission numbers are 250001 and 250002. One is Damson and the other Jasmine in color.
      Mike remembered that Mike Stuntz of Group 44 owned one of the cars for some time and possibly used it for errands for Group 44.
      It appears that Mike is a friend of Steve Knolls.
      Should anyone have any information they wish to share with me about these first cars, please feel free to contact me. I am a great TR6 enthusiast and have collected some very interesting documents about the early years of this car over a great period of time.
      Patrick Huckels
      Bespoke Roadsters
    • ned young

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2014

          Hi Patrick
          Yes, I did own TR6 250001L.  I bought it from Triumph in 1969 or 1970, while I was working for Group 44. And it was Damson. I drove it for 13 years.  Sadly, it was stolen from a parking lot in the early 80's, and I haven't seen it since.  I still keep an eye out, so if you ever find it, let me know!
          And I do believe that Bob Tullius has the last one made, in his collection in Florida.
          Thanks
          Mike Stuntz
        • glensullivan@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2014
            Bob has the last TR 6 under cover in his hanger with about 900 mi. on it, same as when I worked and 44 during the TR 8 project.
            It is green if memory serves me. Also has the last TR 8, a convertible, which is silver.

                     Glen Sullivan

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2014
              Thanks Ned.
              Any idea on how to contact Bob?
              Patrick

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2014
                Hello Mike.
                Thanks so much for replying to my initial e-mail. Mike Cook mentioned that your car was stolen which so sad as it's part of the Triumph-USA history. I have a fold-out of various car magazines road testing both the Damson and Jasmine (Bob's car) 6s to death. Glad to hear one still is around and I will do my best to search for anything related to yours. I enjoy investigating things until the end.
                Now come the questions to get me started:
                Did you file a police report? If so, where and when?
                Where was the car stolen from (a current and old address).
                Did an insurance company reimburse you for the car? If so, what company was it and if you have a policy number, that might help as well.
                Any suspected places the car was taken to? Nearby shady British car shop, etc.
                Do you look into any places that might have had the 6?
                Do you have any photos of the car including ones where you are with it?
                Did it have the typical early 6 commission number plate on the inner LH fender? How about the Body and Trim number plates on the RH bulkhead? Engine number?
                The Damson car was always seen with Rostyle wheel covers. Did the car still have them when stolen?
                How about any changes to the car like a different radio installed?
                Do you still have any documents that came with the car?

                I think any of these can get me started. It would make an amazing story if we find anything but then again, who knows unless we try.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 24, 2014
                  Thanks Glen. I had heard some time ago that Bob was 'given' the last 6 with the special dash plate (mentioned in Mike Cook's book) and also the last 8 (which I know nothing about).
                  Cheers,
                  Patrick