Re: IMSA pioneer John Bishop gone at 87

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2014
      Back about 1970, I competed in the first IMSA race, held at
      Bridgehampton. I competed in my Daimler SP-250 which he put in the Under
      2.5 liter class. When I pointed out that it was actually 2501ccs, he
      said 'unless you'd rather run against the Corvettes and Cobras, that's
      close enough. This isn't the nit-picky SCCA!'

      I placed 2nd or 3rd, and instead of a trophy, got a check for $800. I
      was much more pleased.

      He had negotiated a flexible insurance package, and tried to get a race
      at Marlboro, but the DC region had let a year pass without racing, and
      the county declared the license had thus expired. His races kept a lot
      of places alive, like VIR, that may have died without his events.

      Godspeed John!

      On 6/7/2014 3:49 PM, Nick wrote:
      > http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/104221-imsa-pioneer-john-bishop-gone-at-87

    • Don Haines
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2014
        I didn't hear about this until today. I ran IMSA for several years, starting at Charlotte in 1971. Over the years, I considered John a friend.

        Really sad news.

        Don Haines

        727-487-2361 (FL) or 808-989-0047 (HI)

        See examples of my previous work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/