"Oldest" Racing Mustang - 1964 Virginia Reel Rally

  • Mike Matune
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 15, 2014

      Good morning all,

      In preparation for the 50th anniversary of the Mustang later this year, I am researching early racing Mustangs. One of the events in which Mustang first competed, at least according to my research, was the 1964 Virginia Reel Rally. This was an SCCA National rally held on the weekend of May 22, 1964. I have searched "Sports Car" , "Competition Press & Autoweek" and a few other places with little luck. Does anyone have any information on this event like photos, entry lists, results, media coverage, etc.. I am interested in anything anyone can find. Does anyone have the coverage in the "Haybaler"?

      Thanks,

      Mike Matune

    • Yuccaseed@...

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 17, 2014

          Good afternoon all,

          Thanks very much for the responses to my inquiry.

          To clarify, My interest in Mustangs is in the very early competition cars, those from the car's introduction on April 17, 1964 to the end of that year. What does anyone  remember from that time period?

          Rick and George, your photos appear to be from a later timeframe.

          One of the earliest events in which a Mustang competed was the 1964 Virginia Reel Rally on May 22-23, 1964. I am trying to locate the "Straight Pipe" with the coverage of that event. Does anyone have it or know who might?

          Tanks and take care,

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2014

            Yes, your right.

            Some of the earliest pictures I sent you were circa 1966 /67

            Rick

            www.rickmandelson.com

            Thanks very much for the responses to my inquiry.

            To clarify, My interest in Mustangs is in the very early competition cars, those from the car's introduction on April 17, 1964 to the end of that year. What does anyone  remember from that time period?

            Rick and George, your photos appear to be from a later timeframe.

            One of the earliest events in which a Mustang competed was the 1964 Virginia Reel Rally on May 22-23, 1964. I am trying to locate the "Straight Pipe" with the coverage of that event. Does anyone have it or know who might?

            Tanks and take care,

            Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!
          • MIchael Ling
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 2014
              While you all are searching for pictures, I am looking for pictures of Warren Shamlian's Mustang (A sedan)at the 1966 Marlboro 12 Hours.  Bob Mouat was the co driver, as well as Dick Thompson.  It was painted silver and suffered overheating in the race.  Though it listed as next to last on the result sheet, with Jackie Stewart's Cortina the first DNF.  I often wondered whatever happened to that car.
                                   Michael Ling

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014
                image.jpeg
                My 65 Stang being chased by Tullius at the Glen. 1966. He did not catch me.
                Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014

                    My God Buzz, your upside down.

                    Jackie Steward’s Cortina is now owned by Dan Davis, Owner / Editor of Vintage Oval Racing and Victory Lane Magazines.

                    Rick

                    www.rickmandelson.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014
                      Off topic: I believe that was the 1965  Twelve Hours that Stewart was the first out and the Mouat Mustang second out.
                      (My only trip to Marlboro.)

                      Cheers,

                      Andrew Sturgess

                        http://www.rickmandelson.com/

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014
                          Yes, I was a "go-fer" (unpaid child laborer) of 14 years of age at that time. We made the long drive to Marlboro from Ft Worth TX to race the Overseas Motors Minis. Did all right with a first and third in class and fifth and tenth overall. Amazing to look at the entry list for that race and see who was there. The phrase that I remember about Stewart was that "he sawed the engine in half" in 45 minutes. I do not know whether that was actually true but he was the first to leave at a very early stage of the race.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014

                            Did Jackie Stewart finish the race co-driving with someone else - and end up winning? Some years back I attended a talk at the Smithsonian narrated by Chris Economaki with Sir Jackie. At the end of the interview I asked Jackie if he remembered racing at Marlboro? After laughing out loud, he said Lord yes - it was beastly hot he and his co-drivers were trying to trash their cars so they could escape back to their motels AC and the pool. But the car(s?) kept going - therefore one of the only trophies he ever put practical use to was a tray won at the Marlboro 12 hour that sits in his entrance way to collect the incoming mail each day - that's what I remember him saying !

                            Cheers, sam

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014
                              The first Cortina in class was listed as having Paul Hawkins, Melbourne Australia and Roy Pierpont, London England as drivers. It was second overall but also second in class. As far as I know Sir Jackie was back at the motel. The winning car was an Alfa driven by Monty Winkler and Pete Van der Vate. The next two cars after were Saab 96's, then the Mini. The first A Sedan was 8th, a Barracuda driven by Noland Sims and Ron Grable.
                              It's possible that Stewart was there more than one year I suppose, and they did give trophies through third in class as I have one at the house.

                              Best,

                              Andrew

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 18, 2014

                                  I knew I ran that race but couldn’t remember who I co-drove with not to mention what I drove…………..Ah, yes, sixteenth.

                                  Thanks for the link,

                                  Rick

                                  www.rickmandelson.com