Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Tryign to track down some history on an Austin Healey 100M [2 Attachments]

  • Erskine Kelly
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
      Does it have, or has it had roll bars?

      Roll bars became mandatory in January, 1957, optional in 1956 and earlier.

      On Oct 2, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Gerald Dean wrote:

      Hello All,
      Thank you for letting me be part of this group.  I have been searching through your archives and have enjoyed it very much.  Like many other members, what brings me here is a quest to find more history on my Austin Healey 100M.  It was built in 1955 and titled in 1956.  My father purchased this car from Eleanor Nystrom, in 1999, who was the widow of Bill Nystrom.  They were from State College PA, and this is where the car was most of its life.

      When my father purchased the car she told him that the original owner had raced it at Marlboro Raceway and that her husband had purchased it in 1960 or thereabouts.  It was originally black with red interior.  It has the louvered bonnet with leather bonnet strap.  It also has some items installed that I believe may be from whomever did race the car.  It has an old brass fire extinguisher as well as a lap timer and oil temperature gauge, installed the in the dash (pics attached).  When my father purchased the car it had been repainted red and the dashboard was white and it doesn't appear to have had any previous accident damage.  I have no idea if it was black or red when it was raced but would imagine it was black.

      I have googled for a few years now looking to find info, but any of the scca data I find doesn't show a serial numbers for the cars and I just haven't gotten very far.  I would very much appreciate any help or ideas of where else I might look to find information in my continuing quest.

      Thanks in advance,
      Chris

    • ned young

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
          No it doesn't have a roll bar, but I never looked real close to see if one may have been removed.
          Thanks

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
            Thank you Ned.  I've spent several hours on RSC, but will see what I can dig up on your brother.  I don't believe that Bill Nystrom ever raced the car.  Whomever he purchased it from was the one.
            Thanks Again

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
              Hi Gerald, I wasn't suggesting that my brother's car was the same, only that there are holes in the site. Ron's 100M was red. Yours was black originally.
              Question : Is your 100 a factory M? The A-H 100 registry may have some info on your car. There is also the M registry that lists only LeMans versions. Your car is a BN1 or
              BN2 ? Write me at volvoned@.... I have friends that restore big healeys. They may have some contacts that you don't

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
                Thanks Ned,
                Here is a link to a post I made on the british car forum.
                http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?88390-Original-owner-search-for-1956-Austin-Healey

                The car is a factory M and is registered with Bill Meade and the Healey Club.  However, neither of them have any info on the car prior to my father.
                Re-reading my post it looks like the Nystrom's purchased it in 1963.  I found this date on something my father had sent to Bill Meade in 1999.  So it's probably fairly accurate to what Eleanor Nystrom had told him.

                Thanks again as I sure do appreciate the input.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013
                  Try looking through the VIR entry lists that I have posted at
                  http://www.virhistory.com/vir.html#events

                  No one registered car serial numbers for racing but you might find someone from the right locale. Even if it is not your car owner you may be able to track them down and see what they remember.

                  Also I have had luck placing an ad or article with the local SCCA region's newsletter - there may be some old-timers who remember the car/owner.
                  www.scca.org will get you to the SCCA regions.

                  Good luck,
                  Nick